View Full Version : Fall Postal Match

gopher
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
This will be an open invite competition

100m 5 shot Front and rear rest allowed no machine rests
100m 5 shot off hand no slings allowed
200m 5 shot front and rear rest allowed no machine rests
200m 5 shot off hand no slings allowed

All will be shot with any legal big game cartridge for Alberta you have to shoot the same rifle for all events. Not all bullets have to hit paper to qualify. Jr shooters may shoot 22 center fire.

I will get a post office box to do the mailing from in the next few days. Entry fees will be 25 dollars 20 to the shooter 5 to running shoot Jr shooters 5 dollars and they will be eligible to pot. Practice targets to fallow

duceman
10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
awesome! good going gopher. count me in, lee

buckbrushoutdoors
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
How do you prove that the target where shot at this ranges. How do you verify the shooter doesnot cheat or am I missing something please explain

gitrdun
10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
In previous matches, the target has to be signed and witnessed by a fellow AO member. But, for the most part, it's been on the honor system.

buckbrushoutdoors
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok thanks for the clarification! I think I might par take in the event!

gopher
10-05-2011, 10:35 AM
How do you prove that the target where shot at this ranges. How do you verify the shooter doesnot cheat or am I missing something please explain

Honor system plus witness cheaters if caught will be castrated!!!! :scared0015:

wolf308
10-05-2011, 10:47 AM
sweet,when and where gopher, id like to come compete.

gopher
10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
sweet,when and where gopher, id like to come compete.

Were ever you like to shoot is where you can partake. I am thinking that around DEC 16 we should have this all wrapped up. Most hunting seasons will be over and the farming all wrapped up. I will get the mail box as fast as I can. The offhand targets will be original and many will chuckle

Lefty-Canuck
10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds fun!

For those who don't know...

100m = 109.36 yards
200m = 218.72 yards

Just letting my math skills shine again :)

Not all bullets have to hit paper to qualify.

So if I only have one hole in my target and its on the mark I win :) ?

LC

gopher
10-05-2011, 01:41 PM

LC[/QUOTE]

Not if I have two lol

Lefty-Canuck
10-05-2011, 03:08 PM

LC

Not if I have two lol[/QUOTE]

Damn I knew there was a catch...... :)

LC

HunterDave
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
What's "off hand" mean? Does it have to be a standing unsupported position or can you shoot from a prone, sitting or kneeling position?

I'm in IF I can find a good 200m location.:)

buckbrushoutdoors
10-05-2011, 05:57 PM
What's "off hand" mean? Does it have to be a standing unsupported position or can you shoot from a prone, sitting or kneeling position?

Dave you live pretty close to me, you can come shoot at my place

markg
10-05-2011, 06:15 PM

What if the AO member is a guys wife, that still count? What if she outshoots her husband does that count or is that just so dang embarssing no one would admit to it. Hehe im actually worried about it! I must admit im quite proud of how she shoots.

Robmcleod82
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Sweet I will actually make time to shoot my targets for this one, hopefully the hurricane force winds are done for the year. If your wife shoots better than you I would say it is just a reflection on her instructor, but id still give you a hard time hahaha

Robmcleod82
10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
come on where are all the other "competitors" put your money and your skills where your mouth is ;)

gitrdun
10-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Off hands means that you're "standing" on your hind legs, not kneeling, not prone but totally vertical, no resting on anything, no slings. At least that's what's it meant in the previous matches and that is if what gopher intends it to be. Maybe he can clarify.

Oh, ............I'm in.

HunterDave
10-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Dave you live pretty close to me, you can come shoot at my place

Thanks for the offer buckbrush! I gotta get some practice time behind my new Zeiss scope (not even bore sighted yet) and then I'll pm ya. I'd like to get it sighted in and then let 'er rip. :sHa_shakeshout:

Big Daddy Badger
10-06-2011, 01:21 AM

What if the cheat is female?
Has an end date been selected?

super7mag
10-06-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm in , I'll put my junk where my money is, oops better rephrase that.

Big Daddy Badger
10-06-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm in , I'll put my junk where my money is, oops better rephrase that.

A change purse?:scared0018:

super7mag
10-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Nah more like a range bag.LOL:bad_boys_20: By junk I am refering to my budget arms and optics. I do like my limdsavers though.:fighting0030:

Big Daddy Badger
10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Nah more like a range bag.LOL:bad_boys_20: By junk I am refering to my budget arms and optics. I do like my limdsavers though.:fighting0030:

Ahhh...
Thats good...wasn't sure whether you were bragging or short changed....
Pardon the pun. lol

gopher
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Off hands means that you're "standing" on your hind legs, not kneeling, not prone but totally vertical, no resting on anything, no slings. At least that's what's it meant in the previous matches and that is if what gopher intends it to be. Maybe he can clarify.

Oh, ............I'm in.

Ya that about nails it no support of any kind (no slings shooting jackets or gloves)

gopher
10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok I got the mail box I just have to make targets. Seeing as how there was some concerns about hunting season and guys lively hoods that are weather related. There will be no shoot off for this one the winner is the winner. Also no practice target only official targets Send me your targets and $$ at same time DEC 10 will be mail cut off day. So should have a winner buy the 20th

gitrdun
10-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Dang it anyways, so many marksmen and so few shooters.

Robmcleod82
10-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah its kind of funny everybody is so fast to comment yet most wont put twenty bucks in the pot and take their chances. I dont think money is that tight around alberta these days is it? HEEEEEEEAAAAR SHOOTERS, HEEEEEAAAR SHOOTERS, COME OUT COME OUT WHERE EVER YOU ARE!!!!!!!!

gopher
10-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Here is a sample of how the shoot will be run. Each event is an aggregate going towards points for the total shoot. scored from winner of event down more shooters means more points in descending order from top to bottom the final 200m off hand event will be made so there can be no ties in this example buy.10 I will ajust if more shooters then 9.

100m offhand
6 Jim
5 Kirk
4 Frank
3 Tom
2 Sam
1 Bill

200m Bench
6 Tom
5 Kirk
4 Jim
3 Sam
2 Bill
1 Frank

200m Off hand
6.6 Bill
5.5 Sam
4.4 Jim
3.3 Frank
2.2 Tom
1.1 Kirk

With the points added up
Jim 17.40
Tom 15.20
Bill 14.60
Frank 14.30
Kirk 13.10
Sam 11.5
Jim is the winner!!!

This is assuming that all bullets hit the paper I don't think that is going to happen. Basically an example of the offhand is that the top shooters hit the paper 3 times their group will be measured smallest wins 2 guys hit twice their group will be scored last guy only hit once hes last. for the off hand 1 point will be awarded for 1 hit on paper and no hits is a zero. groups will be measured center to center

Rules

All will be shot with any legal big game cartridge for Alberta you have to shoot the same rifle for all events. Not all bullets have to hit paper to qualify. Jr shooters may shoot 22 centerfire and a Jr is 14 and under.

Front and rear rest means exactly that only two points of support (No machine rests lead sleds, clamps, rails,)

Offhand will be shot with no support what so ever just your arms and bone standing on two feet. No slings used shooting jackets or glove’s.

There will be no practice targets only official targets practice with them if you like.

Your targets will have to be witnessed buy another person this other person does not have to shoot to be a witness

Your morels upbringing and character will dictate your actions when it comes to cheating. Cheating will not be tolerated.

Fees
25$ entry fee 20$ to the pot going back to the shooter 5$ to me for expenses and headaches Jr shooters 5$ only and they will be eligible to pot. Money goes to first place only.

TARGETS
Please write your first actual name and first actual name of witness with a contact phone number. On the back of all targets

Please fill out front of target with your Alberta outdoors man forum name and all other info on each target
Dead line Dec 10,2011
Please mail targets and check or cash to
1181325 ALBERTA LTD
SITE 13 BOX 1 RR2
ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE ALBERTA T4T 2A2

If you are going to send a check please memo Fall Postal Shoot

The Pot already has a 100$ donation in it. COME GET IT OF YOU CAN

HunterDave
10-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Being that this will be my first postal match I have one more question.......

Looking at the types of target that you are using I'm guessing that your score is based on the size of your grouping........correct? In other words, a tight group high right would count more than a larger group in the centre of the target. Or, is it a combination of the grouping size and how close you are to the centre?

In the case of the deer target what counts more......a shoulder or boiler room shot? JK. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

nof60
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Is a 22-250 considered legal for this shoot. No biggie, got lots of guns but I just luvs my 22-250.

PS Gopher i used to live in Rocky

PSS Its on like donkey kong

gopher
10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Being that this will be my first postal match I have one more question.......

Looking at the types of target that you are using I'm guessing that your score is based on the size of your grouping........correct? In other words, a tight group high right would count more than a larger group in the centre of the target. Or, is it a combination of the grouping size and how close you are to the centre?

In the case of the deer target what counts more......a shoulder or boiler room shot? JK. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You are correct were shooting groups here any were on paper is good. But you might not want to shoot the Alberta big buck in the shoulder bullet might not penetrate the paper

Lefty-Canuck
10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Is a 22-250 considered legal for this shoot. No biggie, got lots of guns but I just luvs my 22-250.

No, unfortunately :)

The rules do say legal in Alberta....which means .243 cal and up pretty much.

LC

gopher
10-07-2011, 04:12 PM

If you’re 14 or under go ahead and shoot the 22-250. If not you will need to use a legal big game hunting round for Alberta. How did you escape rocky ?

HunterDave
10-07-2011, 04:23 PM
But you might not want to shoot the Alberta big buck in the shoulder bullet might not penetrate the paper

NICE! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Robmcleod82
10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I like the targets!
This is going to be interesting

nof60
10-07-2011, 07:23 PM
If you’re 14 or under go ahead and shoot the 22-250. If not you will need to use a legal big game hunting round for Alberta. How did you escape rocky ?

I just got in the truck and drove back to Whitehorse. I still have an acreage that I rent out and friends there and may be down hunting cats this winter.

So just so I have this straight it is strictly group size in all four categories, their proximity to the center of the target has nothing to do with the score. Is that correct?

gopher
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I just got in the truck and drove back to Whitehorse. I still have an acreage that I rent out and friends there and may be down hunting cats this winter.

So just so I have this straight it is strictly group size in all four categories, their proximity to the center of the target has nothing to do with the score. Is that correct?

Correct

Roughneck12
10-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Interesting. This might get me to the range more and make shooting more interesting. Thanks.

super7mag
10-09-2011, 09:04 AM
:acigar:I like the 200 yrd offhand target SOOO MUCH!! I just might not be able to bring myself into putting holes thru it, thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

Robmcleod82
10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Where are all the shooters on this forum????????????? I guess people are scared

super7mag
10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
BTT! printed off targets no sense waiting till the weather turns sh!ttY.

gopher
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Arn?Narn.
10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
I want in...what do I do...
I'd like to go in twice...one with the 30-30 and one with the 7mm-08

bigfishen
10-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Hope this isn't a dumb question but why only legal hunting calibers and why not .22 or .17?

catnthehat
10-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Hope this isn't a dumb question but why only legal hunting calibers and why not .22 or .17?

Basically it's a big game hunting rifle postal shoot, not a varmint gun competition.
Cat

gopher
10-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Here is a sample of how the shoot will be run. Each event is an aggregate going towards points for the total shoot. scored from winner of event down more shooters means more points in descending order from top to bottom the final 200m off hand event will be made so there can be no ties in this example buy.10 I will ajust if more shooters then 9.

100m offhand
6 Jim
5 Kirk
4 Frank
3 Tom
2 Sam
1 Bill

200m Bench
6 Tom
5 Kirk
4 Jim
3 Sam
2 Bill
1 Frank

200m Off hand
6.6 Bill
5.5 Sam
4.4 Jim
3.3 Frank
2.2 Tom
1.1 Kirk

With the points added up
Jim 17.40
Tom 15.20
Bill 14.60
Frank 14.30
Kirk 13.10
Sam 11.5
Jim is the winner!!!

This is assuming that all bullets hit the paper I don't think that is going to happen. Basically an example of the offhand is that the top shooters hit the paper 3 times their group will be measured smallest wins 2 guys hit twice their group will be scored last guy only hit once hes last. for the off hand 1 point will be awarded for 1 hit on paper and no hits is a zero. groups will be measured center to center

Rules

All will be shot with any legal big game cartridge for Alberta you have to shoot the same rifle for all events. Not all bullets have to hit paper to qualify. Jr shooters may shoot 22 centerfire and a Jr is 14 and under.

Front and rear rest means exactly that only two points of support (No machine rests lead sleds, clamps, rails,)

Offhand will be shot with no support what so ever just your arms and bone standing on two feet. No slings used shooting jackets or glove’s.

There will be no practice targets only official targets practice with them if you like.

Your targets will have to be witnessed buy another person this other person does not have to shoot to be a witness

Your morels upbringing and character will dictate your actions when it comes to cheating. Cheating will not be tolerated.

Fees
25$ entry fee 20$ to the pot going back to the shooter 5$ to me for expenses and headaches Jr shooters 5$ only and they will be eligible to pot. Money goes to first place only.

TARGETS
Please write your first actual name and first actual name of witness with a contact phone number. On the back of all targets

Please fill out front of target with your Alberta outdoors man forum name and all other info on each target
Dead line Dec 10,2011
Please mail targets and check or cash to
1181325 ALBERTA LTD
SITE 13 BOX 1 RR2
ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE ALBERTA T4T 2A2

If you are going to send a check please memo Fall Postal Shoot

The Pot already has a 100$ donation in it. COME GET IT OF YOU CAN

Just enter twice Arn?Narn:)

bigfishen
10-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Basically it's a big game hunting rifle postal shoot, not a varmint gun competition.
Cat

Is there any reason behind it or is it just one of those things thats the way it is just because?

Lefty-Canuck
10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Is there any reason behind it or is it just one of those things thats the way it is just because?

Because the guy running it said so?....I think?

This was the result of a friendly "conversation" where someone challenged someone to a duel and this is where we are :)

LC

gitrdun
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM

The thing about a postal match is that rules are basically up to the fellow who donates his own time to organize it. Gopher has decided that like a lot of previous postal matches, it would be restricted to legal Alberta big game hunting calibers. This is not to say that if you would like to see a postal match restricted to varmint calibers, you couldn't organize one yourself and then outline the rules. Heck, you could have a postal match for iron sight levers, rimfires, Lee Enfields, whatever you choose.

Au revoir, Gopher
10-18-2011, 07:51 PM
This was the result of a friendly "conversation" where someone challenged someone to a duel and this is where we are :)

Does this sort of thing happen often around here? I'd like to play too, but I won't be able to this time around.

ARG

gopher
10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
More than likely the next one will be held in the spring or the next time the Barnes bullets guys start yapping too much. It’s just a casual shoot for fun targets will not be posted for all to see the way it is set up you could win just buy shooting consistently well. For all the competitions I have ever been to I can hardly remember a time when other shooters made fun of a guy for shooting poorly. Most of the time you get help you didn’t ask for :mad3:

bigfishen
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
The thing about a postal match is that rules are basically up to the fellow who donates his own time to organize it. Gopher has decided that like a lot of previous postal matches, it would be restricted to legal Alberta big game hunting calibers. This is not to say that if you would like to see a postal match restricted to varmint calibers, you couldn't organize one yourself and then outline the rules. Heck, you could have a postal match for iron sight levers, rimfires, Lee Enfields, whatever you choose.

Ya I kinda figured that it was up to the organizer. I can totally understand that and appreciate all of the work that would go into setting all of this up. This maybe a kick in the pants to go buy a bigger rifle and have some fun with it.

gitrdun
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Yup, you could go out and buy a new gun. On the other hand, you could also borrow a friend's rifle and give it a go. It's only a $25.00 entry fee to just have some shooting fun and participate in a friendly shoot. We all hope to see you in bigfishen.........:)

HunterDave
10-28-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm going to be confirming the sighting of my rifle on Monday and when I get back after a week of hunting I'll be mailing out my targets and $25.

If it's really bad I'll just send my $25.....lol!

How many people have said that they would participate?

super7mag
10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
BTT! printed off targets no sense waiting till the weather turns sh!ttY.

Damn! whats that saying about the road to he!!, and good intentions.lol. Well now that there is a skiff of snow great time to shoot some targets.lol

gopher
12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Well internet snipers you have all been bested buy a 7 year old boy lol. Congratulations to the winner gitrduns grandchild. The lad won 150 bucks plus his entry fee back for having a set of ba@#!s

gitrdun
12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Well internet snipers you have all been bested buy a 7 year old boy lol. Congratulations to the winner gitrduns grandchild. The lad won 150 bucks plus his entry fee back for having a set of ba@#!s

Thanks for organizing it gopher. The "boy" and I had a great time practising with his chopped up .22 before the big day. Also, my thanks to Robmcleod82 for his generous contribution and the loan of the Hornet.

super7mag
12-30-2011, 08:04 AM
While I have to apologize I never got out to shoot, targets are in my ol farm truck with the sand bags and stapler. As i had full intentions of participating I will be mailing my entry fee directly to gitrdun, with an added bonus for the winner. Thankyou gopher for putting it on. Fall is hetic but thats no excuse I apoligize.

gopher
12-30-2011, 08:19 AM
While I have to apologize I never got out to shoot, targets are in my ol farm truck with the sand bags and stapler. As i had full intentions of participating I will be mailing my entry fee directly to gitrdun, with an added bonus for the winner. Thankyou gopher for putting it on. Fall is hetic but thats no excuse I apoligize.

No targets no participation you do not need to send a entry fee to gitrdun. Send a bonus to the boy if you like rumor has it that it will be used for a firearm of some sort:sHa_shakeshout:. It was a good idea I figured with guys going to range to site in and such there would have been more interest Possibly in spring a varmint challenge more guys ask about small calibers any ways

HunterDave
12-30-2011, 09:57 AM
It was a good idea I figured with guys going to range to site in and such there would have been more interest Possibly in spring a varmint challenge more guys ask about small calibers any ways

Some of us are fair weather shooters. :)

gitrdun
01-01-2012, 10:14 AM

No worries super7, if you didn't shoot, there is no entry fee. PM sent

gitrdun
02-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Just received a beautiful Buck Knife from super7mag for Gage. Thanks so much bud, it's a beauty, he'll surely appreciate it. :)