PDA

View Full Version : proposed reg change for Clear Lake

blackdog
10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Terry Clayton, Fisheries Biologist out of Lethbridge, will be providing information on proposed angling regulation changes for Clear Lake, Twin Valley Reservoir, and the west arm of Travers Reservoir.
At the Provincial Building in Claresholm on Oct. 11 at 7pm
I believe for Clear and Twin it will be limiting the harvest to 1 over 100 cm or so. Not sure what the plan is for Travers.

jacenbeers
10-05-2011, 12:23 PM
That would be awesome if that passed. It would be nice to see a recovery in Clear Lake.

cougarcreek
10-05-2011, 01:21 PM
That will be great news would like to see that on few more of the southern lakes.

chubbdarter
10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Thank you B-dog for the info....we all need to convoy down to this meeting.

Can i ask where you got this announcement info from?.....local bulliten?

pecker
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Thank you B-dog for the info....we all need to convoy down to this meeting.

Can i ask where you got this announcement info from?.....local bulliten?

X2

WayneChristie
10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Clear definitely needs a break for a while, I think they should make it catch and release totally,at least for 5 years or so. it could be an awesome trophy lake in a short time, there are some very good genes swimming around in there. And the good thing is that it is already checked out quite regularly by F and W so maybe it could be enforced for the most part.

chubbdarter
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
ttt....this is important

slivers86
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I've never fished these waters. What species are being protected in them? I'm guessing with the 100cm size limit pike?

MoFugger21
10-06-2011, 08:46 AM
If anyone attends this, please keep us informed on what the 'proposed changes' would be/what his findings are/what is going to happen going foward. Thanks!

chubbdarter
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
plan is to truck pool from cowtown at 4pm....supper at Roy's place in downtown Claresholm..then hit this meeting

blackdog
10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Info from Terry. is briefly....Proposed regulation changes are a spring closure on Twin Valley and Clear Lake, extending the spring closure an additional two weeks on Travers Reservoir west of Little Bow Prov Park, and a minumum size limit for Pike in Clear Lake.

chubbdarter
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Thank You BD...appreciate the info

pecker
10-06-2011, 05:38 PM
thanks for the info BD . :) will stay tuned on this one . :scared0018:

MoFugger21
10-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Info from Terry. is briefly....Proposed regulation changes are a spring closure on Twin Valley and Clear Lake, extending the spring closure an additional two weeks on Travers Reservoir west of Little Bow Prov Park, and a minumum size limit for Pike in Clear Lake.

I'm interested to hear how this would work? Cause from the way the above is written, it sounds like they would like to keep only a section of the reservoir open longer...... Or maybe I'm mis-reading that.

mikeo2
10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Ttt

chubbdarter
10-10-2011, 06:40 PM
We can beotch all we want about how the Gov regulates our fish, but its only a Midol moment if we dont attend meetings that concern OUR FISH.
Show UP or Shut UP.

Got room in my truck for 1 person....leaving S.E. Cowtown at 4pm....pm me

npauls
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
We can beotch all we want about how the Gov regulates our fish, but its only a Midol moment if we dont attend meetings that concern OUR FISH.
Show UP or Shut UP.

I have been asking a few people but no one has wanted to come with yet. I will keep asking and have posted a thread on here asking anyone from around Lethbridge to carpool up there.

Hopefully I will see you guys up there tomorrow.

nate

hunter49
10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Show UP or Shut UP.

Dammit, too bad I already have plans. :sign0176:

chubbdarter
10-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Good meeting.....the future has a glimmer of light

MoFugger21
10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Good meeting.....the future has a glimmer of light

Care to elaborate...?? Lol

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Care to elaborate...?? Lol

Existing Reg: open may 8 to mar 15
Proposed reg: open may 23 to mar 15
Explanation: Walleye spawn at the mouth and lower reaches of the LB river upstream of Travers Res., and tag at the west end of Travers. In cooler springs, walleye spawning doesnt commence until early May and extends past May 8. This includes the LB river up to the Caramangay Wier. Th closure is to protect spring spawning fish.

Existing Reg: northern pike, 3 over 63cm; no spring closure
Proposed Reg: northern pike, 1 over 110cm;Mar.16 to May 7 closed
Expanation: This recommended change isto eliminate harvest of large female NP.Clear is a small, newly rehabilitated res.(2004). It would appar to have the capability to grow large pike, but because of the small size, is vulnerable to over harvest.

Existing reg: Dec 1 to Feb 28- Walleye limit 1 over 55cm; Pike limit 3 over 63cm.; Whitefish limit 10;Burbot limit 10
Proposed Reg; Sep 1 to Feb 28- walleye limit 1 over 55cm. All other fish remain the same.
Explnation: This recomeended change is to allow anglers to harvest one walleye over 55 cm per day in the open water season. Anglers catch very few walleye in Keho lake under the ice cover.

Location; Twin Valley Res.
Existing Reg.; No spring closure; 3 over 63cm.
Proposed Reg.; Mar. 16 to May 7 Closed; 1 over 63cm. for open times
Explanation; Twin Valley Rs. is a newly constructed res.,having been construted in 2004. Discussion about trying different angling regs for spot fishing has been on going since hat time, however NP specific regs on Twin Valley have been put on hold. It is time to restict NP spring fishing in this Res. for conservation reasons.

the above was typed out from the info sheet that was given out at the meeting. My 2 finger typing may have mistakes and i hold no responsibility.

The meeting had a low attendance but was extremely educational and many topics were discussed.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Also thank you again Blackdog, without this thread the meeting would have been 3 government officials and NOT 1 single member of the public.

Thank you Terry clayton for listening to our concerns....and thank you to the CO's for attending your field expertise is greatly appreciated

slivers86
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for posting that chubb. sounds like good recommendations. Hopefully those resevoirs can turn into some trophy lakes for some monster pike!

Oh, and we knew you were a 2 finger typer :) took you 16 hrs to 'elaborate' :)

Tezma
10-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for posting that chubb. sounds like good recommendations. Hopefully those resevoirs can turn into some trophy lakes for some monster pike!

Oh, and we knew you were a 2 finger typer :) took you 16 hrs to 'elaborate' :)

Oh BURN, ZING and Snap.

Yea thanks CHUB, Like Slivers86 says, Trophy lake would be fun.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I wasnt actually too motivated to type it out.....because if you dont take the time to attend im quessing the info isnt of any real benifit to you.I hope thats not the case.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 04:51 PM
The plan is to have a follow up meeting with concerned fisherman asap on possible remedies to some of the issues that were discussed at the Claresholm meeting.
This will be a Calgary based meeting and hopefully the outcome will be a respectful united front to present to SRD

BeeGuy
10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
The plan is to have a follow up meeting with concerned fisherman asap on possible remedies to some of the issues that were discussed at the Claresholm meeting.
This will be a Calgary based meeting and hopefully the outcome will be a respectful united front to present to SRD

I'd be very interested in attending any such meetings in the Calgary area.

For those in the know, post up the dates and I'll bring a carload of fisherfolk with me.

Thanks to the OP and Chubb for getting the word out there.

MoFugger21
10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Existing Reg: open may 8 to mar 15
Proposed reg: open may 23 to mar 15
Explanation: Walleye spawn at the mouth and lower reaches of the LB river upstream of Travers Res., and tag at the west end of Travers. In cooler springs, walleye spawning doesnt commence until early May and extends past May 8. This includes the LB river up to the Caramangay Wier. Th closure is to protect spring spawning fish.

Existing Reg: northern pike, 3 over 63cm; no spring closure
Proposed Reg: northern pike, 1 over 110cm;Mar.16 to May 7 closed
Expanation: This recommended change isto eliminate harvest of large female NP.Clear is a small, newly rehabilitated res.(2004). It would appar to have the capability to grow large pike, but because of the small size, is vulnerable to over harvest.

Existing reg: Dec 1 to Feb 28- Walleye limit 1 over 55cm; Pike limit 3 over 63cm.; Whitefish limit 10;Burbot limit 10
Proposed Reg; Sep 1 to Feb 28- walleye limit 1 over 55cm. All other fish remain the same.
Explnation: This recomeended change is to allow anglers to harvest one walleye over 55 cm per day in the open water season. Anglers catch very few walleye in Keho lake under the ice cover.

Location; Twin Valley Res.
Existing Reg.; No spring closure; 3 over 63cm.
Proposed Reg.; Mar. 16 to May 7 Closed; 1 over 63cm. for open times
Explanation; Twin Valley Rs. is a newly constructed res.,having been construted in 2004. Discussion about trying different angling regs for spot fishing has been on going since hat time, however NP specific regs on Twin Valley have been put on hold. It is time to restict NP spring fishing in this Res. for conservation reasons.

the above was typed out from the info sheet that was given out at the meeting. My 2 finger typing may have mistakes and i hold no responsibility.

The meeting had a low attendance but was extremely educational and many topics were discussed.

Thanks Chubb! Can't say that I disagree with anything they're proposing. All seems pretty logical.

I wasnt actually too motivated to type it out.....because if you dont take the time to attend im quessing the info isnt of any real benifit to you.I hope thats not the case.

As far as this is concerned.... Though I'm sure it's not mainly directed at me, its still a pretty big assumption to make as to why people didn't/couldn't attend.

Would I have liked to attend the meeting? Absolutely. Did I have the time to attend? Definitely not! And I'm sure I'm not alone in having other life commitments to tend to, and wasn't able to drive the hour+ to make it to this meeting.

I'm definitely grateful you could pass along the info provided at the meeting!! But that comment sure comes off all "high & mighty", as though you care more than others.....

....I hope thats not the case.

mikeo2
10-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't think chubb is trying to say that he cares more than others, just that if we don't get large turnouts to voice our opinions then we can't complain about anything SRD does with our fisheries. We all have other commitments and "life" but we as a group have to make a better effort to attend these types of meetings. A couple things were brought up last night that Terry Clayton or the CO's didn't know were happening and could potentially affect a fishery a great deal. With it being brought up last night, they made a note to at least look into it and potentially make either a wording change or a regulation change and to make an effort to patrol this problem area more. We as anglers are a valuable source of information for the biologists because they simply don't have the budget or manpower to spend a great deal of time on each and every fishery.

WayneChristie
10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

some people have to work for a living, Id attend if it was possible, but not the case. thanks for posting the info anyways. I think they should just drop any keep limit in Clear, make it strictly catch and release. or Twin, since you arent supposed to eat the fish out of there anyways.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 05:55 PM
not directed at anyone.....just disappointed in a 6 person turn out.
I understand people have commitments.
My sole concern is for the fishery that is evident by my organizing a second and hopefully more convienient meeting

BeeGuy
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
It would have made more sense from the get-go to have the meeting in a more populated location.

Not sure why it was held in Claresholm.

mikeo2
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
some people have to work for a living, Id attend if it was possible, but not the case. thanks for posting the info anyways. I think they should just drop any keep limit in Clear, make it strictly catch and release. or Twin, since you arent supposed to eat the fish out of there anyways.

I work for a living to, 7 days a week/27ish days per month(depending on scheduling). I still made the effort to show up, meeting was at 7, not 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

mikeo2
10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
It would have made more sense from the get-go to have the meeting in a more populated location.

Not sure why it was held in Claresholm.

In claresholm for a couple reasons, Terry Clayton is out of lethbridge and the waters closer to Calgary are in a different area office. These proposed regs were for bodies of water that are in terry's area of control. Claresholm is about central (as for north-south direction) for the area he controls and is central for the water bodies discussed.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
This is a sinking ship

WayneChristie
10-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I work for a living to, 7 days a week/27ish days per month(depending on scheduling). I still made the effort to show up, meeting was at 7, not 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

good for you, I will have to bake you some cookies

mikeo2
10-12-2011, 06:14 PM
good for you, I will have to bake you some cookies

No no, don't worry about making me cookies, I'd hate to take you away from those amazing carvings you do. If you were worried about gas money, I'm sure we could have chipped in to help you get there.

Let's keep this thread straight, if you want to get into a ****ing match start a new thread and I'd be happy to oblige.

BeeGuy
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
This is a sinking ship

Indeed.

Clearly it was an inappropriate venue if it was central to the lakes and even they didn't show up.

I look forward to a Calgary area meeting. Sounds like (some) things are on the right track.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Indeed.

Clearly it was an inappropriate venue if it was central to the lakes and even they didn't show up.

I look forward to a Calgary area meeting. Sounds like (some) things are on the right track.

did you read Mikeo's post?

horsetrader
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
This is a sinking ship

Indeed.

I think Chubbs comment "this is a sinking ship" was the idea that people will find time to drive 3 hours to fish but cant find the time to drive 1+ hours to help save it.

BeeGuy
10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
did you read Mikeo's post?

Yup. I understand the rationale of the locality.

My question, and I sincerely do not know the answer, is:

Where are the stakeholders located?

The stakeholders being those people or organizations which would be affected by management decisions.

chubbdarter
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Yup. I understand the rationale of the locality.

My question, and I sincerely do not know the answer, is:

Where are the stakeholders located?

The stakeholders being those people or organizations which would be affected by management decisions.

fisherpeople are the stakeholders....no?

BeeGuy
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I think Chubbs comment "this is a sinking ship" was the idea that people will find time to drive 3 hours to fish but cant find the time to drive 1+ hours to help save it.

Oh, I thought he was referring to the thread. I hope the resource is not a sinking ship. Things can always be better, but my experience as a new resident has been great wrt AB's fishery.

BeeGuy
10-12-2011, 06:45 PM
fisherpeople are the stakeholders....no?

yes, exactly.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a cowtown local meeting. The topics will be the same ones discussed yesterday?

npauls
10-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I would like to know when the next meeting is and hopefully arrange a carpool trip up from Lethbridge if possible. As soon as I hear the date I will post a thread for car pooling from the Lethbridge area up there for the meeting and some eats hopefully.

Thanks to the people that did show up. At least there was some voices there to let them know what fisher people are seeing and hearing.

gprime27
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
I'll be at the next one. I was at home by myself with a sick child..