PDA

View Full Version : Its my first season and I caught...

slivers86
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyone elses first season??? Its my first season of fly fishing, and my first season back since I was a kid on the spinner.

For trout I got cutts, brooks, and rainbows. Also got pike and walleye.

So far just rainbows and brookies on the fly.. seasons not over yet!

Anyone else care to share their rookie season totals?

Xiph0id
10-05-2011, 08:21 PM
My first season fly fishing.
Caught brown, cutt and bull.

Dust1n
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Landed a rainbow trout in the double digets for weight with 1.8lb test tippit on my 4wt.

slivers86
10-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Landed a rainbow trout in the double digets for weight with 1.8lb test tippit on my 4wt.

sicccck!

stripes53
10-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Rainbow, cutties, brook and brown biggest for me this year (1st) was a 21" brown

kmacisaac
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
My first season out there as well. I didn't have a ton of free time to get out but I still managed to pull a few fish out of the bow. I pulled this brown in the other evening.

maverick_8teen
10-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Got into the fly rod last year, only got out a couple times (with my newborn son n all). Pulled out the Fly rod a couple more times this year. Tried the "Tay River" west of Caroline, AB July Long. couple nibbles but no hits. I spent about 10 hours in that river that weekend. The year before on August Long (i wasnt there, my aunt told me about it) the guys were catching em left n right. Guess them damn trout know im still a rookie and just lauph about it.

slivers86
10-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Got into the fly rod last year, only got out a couple times (with my newborn son n all). Pulled out the Fly rod a couple more times this year. Tried the "Tay River" west of Caroline, AB July Long. couple nibbles but no hits. I spent about 10 hours in that river that weekend. The year before on August Long (i wasnt there, my aunt told me about it) the guys were catching em left n right. Guess them damn trout know im still a rookie and just lauph about it.

Definitely sense your frustration. Only 4 fish on the fly this year, in about 10-12 hours river time. They sense the new guy, and success can only come with time, experience, and knowledge! Keep trying!

Gus
10-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Two little rainbows and a rockie on the NSR, that's my rookie fly season.

Lefty-Canuck
10-09-2011, 02:58 PM
My rookie NSR season.... I caught first ever Gold-eye, first ever Moon-eye, several suckers, walleye......but I hooked into my first ever sturgeon and sadly due to an equipment failure I didn't land it but it was a rush none the less....

Now I am about $400+ dollars poorer as I own 2 sturgeon rigs that I will be ready with for next season.

LC

BeeGuy
10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Anyone elses first season??? Its my first season of fly fishing, and my first season back since I was a kid on the spinner.

For trout I got cutts, brooks, and rainbows. Also got pike and walleye.

So far just rainbows and brookies on the fly.. seasons not over yet!

Anyone else care to share their rookie season totals?

Well, this is my first season in Calgary and it has been great. The highlights have been this week pulling 2 Lakers, and a suspected Cutbow from the Bow just above Cochrane. Very cool.

Other highlights would be teaching some youngsters on the PCR dock how to fish, and finally figuring out how to catch anything in Ghost Reservoir.

Lots of good memories of the season. My brother came to visit and I put him onto a few PB browns in town here, one of which was ~23".

Really enjoyed having the Bow 3 blocks from my house. No monsters from the spot yet, but lots of 19" fish.

Alberta doesnt have a ton of water, but there are plenty of opportunities.

Mr.goldeye
10-09-2011, 06:54 PM
First brown trout ever this season, and first trout over 20 intches on a flyrod. i am now hooked on hunting browns:bad_boys_20:

hunter49
10-09-2011, 07:05 PM
The highlights have been this week pulling 2 Lakers, and a suspected Cutbow from the Bow just above Cochrane

What makes you suspect it was a cutthroat? 75% of this forum thinks it was a rainbow. lol. I it funny when people ask a question, and don't listen for the answer.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 06:43 PM
What makes you suspect it was a cutthroat? 75% of this forum thinks it was a rainbow. lol. I it funny when people ask a question, and don't listen for the answer.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

You'll recall in the other poll I made that 90% of the forum thought an Atlantic Salmon was a Brown Trout.

slivers86
10-10-2011, 10:30 PM

You'll recall in the other poll I made that 90% of the forum thought an Atlantic Salmon was a Brown Trout.

Pretty sure both of you are ruining a good thread. if ya wanna argue, go back to the other thread. End of discussion? K Thanks :)

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Everybody's a critic.

Have any luck recently?

chubbdarter
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
The trophy channel is running a Facts of Life marathon

slivers86
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
a nice hike to elbow lake turned out okay, got my brookie. Haven't been out since wednesday as I became a bit ill. Now getting ready to go out and get sick again :)

slivers86
10-10-2011, 11:11 PM

...:snapoutofit:

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 11:12 PM

hahaha

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 11:13 PM
a nice hike to elbow lake turned out okay, got my brookie. Haven't been out since wednesday as I became a bit ill. Now getting ready to go out and get sick again :)

Nice one.

Rainbows are pretty hot around town right now.

Get the brookie on the fly gear?

slivers86
10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Nice one.

Rainbows are pretty hot around town right now.

Get the brookie on the fly gear?

yup! I'm starting to get the hang of the fly. Starting to love it, although spinning feels like cheating its so eaasy sometimes!

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Haha, give the fly 10 years or so and it'll feel like cheating too.

slivers86
10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
eventually. The gf has approved a few hike ins next year, a few overnight/ multiday backcountry trips! Gotta slowly get some gear, and a good crew to go with!

Loki610
10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Not my first year fly fishing, but the first in the last handful of years. Managed to catch 1 goldeye and a tiny pike. Mostly tho I managed to catch trees, grass, thistles, and a barbed wire fence.

BeeGuy
10-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Not my first year fly fishing, but the first in the last handful of years. Managed to catch 1 goldeye and a tiny pike. Mostly tho I managed to catch trees, grass, thistles, and a barbed wire fence.

Hahahaha love it! Catch and release I hope!

Tezma
10-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Well slivers86 Invited me to fish his Honey hole one evening, I caught 1 really nice sized brown and 1 20 inch brown.. and a alright rainbow.

Remember the hail storm... LOL running to the trees. bahahah that was epic.

WayneChristie
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Long way from my first fishing season, but it was the first time Ive fished for sturgeon, and now am hopelessly addicted. But its a good addiction! :sHa_shakeshout:

slivers86
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, this will be my first year ice fishing aswell, and hoping to land a nice trophy to put on the wall... looking for the biggest, baddest pike I can find!

And yes Tez, you got a few nice ones. The reason those photos aren't up is because I have no clue where the memory card went... MIA in europe somewhere.