PDA

View Full Version : Braid slipping on spinning reel spool

GOT1!
10-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I have recently noticed that when I'm fighting fish, my braid often will slip on the spool. At first it seemed as if drag malfunction, but found it is indeed slipping. I tie a uni and am certain it is snugged up. Have also trolled out all the line on the spool and made sure it was indeed spooled with enough tension. Anyone have a good trick to avoid this? Any ideas recommending glue will surely be gags and will not be attempted! Must be some secret to avoid this, possibly a few half hitches till it bites better???

TyreeUM
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
should use mono backing

npauls
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
You will either have to run some tape on your knot that is around the spool or run a mono backer under the braid.

Crossfire
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about you need to either us arbor tape or i prefer you use monofilament backing.

buckmaster
10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
should use mono backing

X2,

stinkynuts
10-05-2011, 10:22 PM
On most spools there is a little tab for holding your line if you switch spools I just ti by braided stuff to that then wind it on it will never slip

alodar
10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
should use mono backing

X3

Geezle
10-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Like many of the others have said, mono backing before you spool your braid on is your best bet to avoid line slippage.

That being said, since you already have your spool loaded up with braid, just pull all the line off until you get down to the spool and then put a piece of tape on the line/spool to stop it from slipping, and then just reel your line back on.

BeeGuy
10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Like many of the others have said, mono backing before you spool your braid on is your best bet to avoid line slippage.

That being said, since you already have your spool loaded up with braid, just pull all the line off until you get down to the spool and then put a piece of tape on the line/spool to stop it from slipping, and then just reel your line back on.

X2

I don't want mono backing and don't have a tie off inside the spool.

A tiny piece of 2-sided tape works perfect and doesn't impede function whatsoever.

Kokanee9
10-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Did you put some tension on the spool that was holding the line as you were winding it on to your reel?

secretspot
10-06-2011, 06:26 AM
i HAVE FOUND THAT AFTER A UNI KNOT FLIP IN TWO HALF HITCHES AROUND THE SPOOL AND IT WORKS GREAT

Shmag
10-06-2011, 06:34 AM
When you buy new line it always has the white tape on the tag end. I always cut that peice of tape in half and put it on the knot, have never had a braided line slip.

GOT1!
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I will have to troll out a few hundred feet of braid (dont think my backyard is up to the task) , I think a couple half hitches on there quick will be a good start and go from there. Possibly try the tape thing on my next respool if its a failure....

ak-71
10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I've used electrical tape before braid goes on, right on the spool, not the knot (just adds friction) - it worked and saved space. Mono works too, it's what I have now on mine

Hunter Trav
10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I put electrical tape on mine after I tie the knot, then spool it up. Haven't had line slippage since I started doing that...

RavYak
10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I will have to troll out a few hundred feet of braid (dont think my backyard is up to the task) , I think a couple half hitches on there quick will be a good start and go from there. Possibly try the tape thing on my next respool if its a failure....

Backyard, you can do it in your chair in the house. Doesn't have to be laid out flat, just don't mess it all up and tie knots in it.

Hunter Trav
10-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Backyard, you can do it in your chair in the house. Doesn't have to be laid out flat, just don't mess it all up and tie knots in it.

Yup, not a big deal, just don't touch the pile of line, and it should go back on without any problems...

FishingFrenzy
10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
This is what I do:
Take an old spool that line came on
Take a 2inch bolt, with two washers an a nut, sandwhich the spool between two washers on the bolt, tighten the nut down
Once that setup is secure, put the free end of the bolt in the chuck of your drill, tighten er up
flip the bail on your reel, take the end of the line, tape it to the spool setup
Power up that drill, make sure your line winds on somewhat evenly, guide it with your fingers.
Once all the line is off your reel and onto the spool, clip the knot holding it on the reel
Add electrical tape OR mono backing, thread the line through the guides of your rod, re-tie your line on (tie it to the end of your mono with a double uni or tie it too your spool with a uni if you use the tape)
Take the spool that has all the line on it out of the drill, set it on the floor
Reel all of your line back in, it will basically fall off the spool...

Thats just what I do, done it many a time to switch line between reels or add mono backing

Hope that makes sense...knowing me it probably wont :sHa_shakeshout:

Hunter Trav
10-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Pretty good idea, sure would beat spooling it off the reel by hand...

Dust1n
10-06-2011, 05:19 PM
try winding it a few raps before you spool it then you got a base built up

npauls
10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
try winding it a few raps before you spool it then you got a base built up

Braid will still end up slipping if you do this. You will have to tape or mono back if you don't want any slipping at all.

Dust1n
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Braid will still end up slipping if you do this. You will have to tape or mono back if you don't want any slipping at all.

My braid has never slipped but nothin took my drag either...

npauls
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
My braid has never slipped but nothin took my drag either...

Ya I would fix that if I were you. What happens if you get a fish of a lifetime on and the braid starts slipping? There is a way higher chance of you losing that fish. Just pull all your line off until you hit the knot and throw a piece of tape on there and reel it back up. Will help when you do find that monster.

Dust1n
10-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Ya I would fix that if I were you. What happens if you get a fish of a lifetime on and the braid starts slipping? There is a way higher chance of you losing that fish. Just pull all your line off until you hit the knot and throw a piece of tape on there and reel it back up. Will help when you do find that monster.

i only got braid on one of my rods and i dont realy like it. i like line with flex...im all for flouro and mono now. i know braid has its time and place but not on my reels. i just use mine for the walleye at sylvan lake. i know one day my lucks gonna run out haha

pike_king780
10-07-2011, 11:37 AM
should use mono backing

x4

Hunter Trav
10-07-2011, 11:43 AM
i only got braid on one of my rods and i dont realy like it. i like line with flex...im all for flouro and mono now. i know braid has its time and place but not on my reels. i just use mine for the walleye at sylvan lake. i know one day my lucks gonna run out haha

You need to fish lakes that have BIG walleye in them, then you'll see what braid can do for ya...lol :D

AndrewM
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
i HAVE FOUND THAT AFTER A UNI KNOT FLIP IN TWO HALF HITCHES AROUND THE SPOOL AND IT WORKS GREAT

x2. Tie any knot and put in a few half hitches and you are good to go.

npauls
10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
You need to fish lakes that have BIG walleye in them, then you'll see what braid can do for ya...lol :D

Trav. has it right.

After fishing for some really good sized eyes with braid you will have your mind changed for sure.

Rockymtnx
10-07-2011, 03:32 PM

You want braid with flex? Why not try Spiderwire Fluoro Braid.
There are close to 100 types of braid on the market. Each one acts different. I am sure there is one out there that will meet your needs.

http://deerhuntingpro.com/store/image/69800081730894/spiderwire-ultracast-fluoro-braid-fishing-line-125-yards-10-lb/

Hunter Trav
10-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Trav. has it right.

After fishing for some really good sized eyes with braid you will have your mind changed for sure.

LOL...I like the lakes where you need 30lb braid and 18" leaders, and your catching them on #4 Len Thompson's... :D

Dust1n
10-07-2011, 05:13 PM
You want braid with flex? Why not try Spiderwire Fluoro Braid.
There are close to 100 types of braid on the market. Each one acts different. I am sure there is one out there that will meet your needs.

http://deerhuntingpro.com/store/image/69800081730894/spiderwire-ultracast-fluoro-braid-fishing-line-125-yards-10-lb/

thats pretty sick iv never seen that before. I notice they sell it up to 80lbs! where do you purchase these???

FishingFrenzy
10-07-2011, 05:49 PM
thats pretty sick iv never seen that before. I notice they sell it up to 80lbs! where do you purchase these???

Anywhere. WSS, BPS, TFH, Cabelas, Walmart, Canadian Tire

Dust1n
10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Anywhere. WSS, BPS, TFH, Cabelas, Walmart, Canadian Tire

negitive for walmart and crappy tire...at sylvan lake anyway

FishingFrenzy
10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
negitive for walmart and crappy tire...at sylvan lake anyway

Huh. Weird. I've seen it at both in edmonton area

Try the other options mentioned.

Rockymtnx
10-08-2011, 12:24 AM
LOL...I like the lakes where you need 30lb braid and 18" leaders, and your catching them on #4 Len Thompson's... :D
Come on now...... There is no such lake like that in Alberta.... ;)

Rockymtnx
10-08-2011, 12:26 AM

I know both Cabelas and The Fishin Hole carry Fluorobraid. Not sure of other places in Alberta that have it though.

Hunter Trav
10-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Come on now...... There is no such lake like that in Alberta.... ;)

:snapoutofit: Oh, sorry, must've been dreaming again... :D

Jwood 456
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Why not try Spiderwire Fluoro Braid.

I should try some of that stuff for perch fishing this winter. The flouro braid would probably have the sensativty to feel the small bites on the light jigs and it would be hard for the perch to see the line.