PDA

View Full Version : Shunda Creek (pics) beautiful colors on these fish

BGSH
10-06-2011, 12:19 AM
went to the Shunda and Blackstone areas caught these beautiful wild Brook trout, lost a 25 inch brown and he broke my rod, lost a smaller 18 inch as well and saw another good one.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/104.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/103.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/100.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/097.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/016.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/072-2.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/074.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/028.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/066-1.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/050.jpg

BGSH
10-06-2011, 12:20 AM
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/093.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/110.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/shawnsami3/091.jpg
sorry camera fell in the water and its kinda blury in pics now :fighting0030:

steve
10-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice pics.

Alberta Bigbore
10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
thx for posting those pics.... I sure do miss that area

BeeGuy
10-06-2011, 12:39 AM
were the brookies sitting on redds?

great pics!

Dust1n
10-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Thats a pretty sick shot

Bhflyfisher
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Great pics Shawn! Everyone needs to harass some pre spawn brookies! They sure are a purdy fish!

I saw you out on muir last Sunday, how'd you end up making out? Just lots of small stockers for me and one of decent size! I was in the green pontoon boat around the beaver dam.

slivers86
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM

Looks like my day yesterday too! awesome photos, looks like you enjoyed the view as much, if not more than the fishing! Myself and JTS sure did at elbow lake yesterday!

BGSH
10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Great pics Shawn! Everyone needs to harass some pre spawn brookies! They sure are a purdy fish!

I saw you out on muir last Sunday, how'd you end up making out? Just lots of small stockers for me and one of decent size! I was in the green pontoon boat around the beaver dam.

Oh cool great to meet you, Biggest for me was a 20 incher at Muir, ya Balckstone was good, but caught no fish there, Chungo creek had tonns of brookies in it but no cutts or bulls, Shunda was awsome, Lost a couple BIG browns that put up a great fight, just could not keep up, the brookies are almost spawning, saw some big ones in the 20inch range but they did not want to bite, love Shunda, may get out there one more time around the 28th before it closes for 8 months :) nothing beats Shunda creek, take care

boroumand8
10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Nice fish. I'm going out there tomorrow on an upper branch up shunda. About a three hour hike. The only thing I catch there is brookies and golden trout.

Rockymtnx
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Some nice looking fish Shawn. Thanks for sharing you pics with us.

On another note, I will give ya $100 for that reel....... :D

Jayhad
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
The only thing I catch there is brookies and golden trout.

serious? goldens in shunda

boroumand8
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
serious? goldens in shunda

I don't know if this creek actually meets shunda creek but yes, they were golden trout. There's this place called shunda viewpoint halfway to nordegg, and then there's this trail (now there building it into a road) by a radar tower. You hike up the trail for awhile and find a Small field (now becoming a well) and take a left onto this smaller trail. You go down this valley and come to a creek. I always catch my fish fly fishing there.

0liver
10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
how did it break your rod?!!? did it spool you or what?

BGSH
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't know if this creek actually meets shunda creek but yes, they were golden trout. There's this place called shunda viewpoint halfway to nordegg, and then there's this trail (now there building it into a road) by a radar tower. You hike up the trail for awhile and find a Small field (now becoming a well) and take a left onto this smaller trail. You go down this valley and come to a creek. I always catch my fish fly fishing there.

walk in slowly or they will see you and spook, i was going to go to Shunda viewpoint to fish but i decided to stiick around more towards Nordegg, i walked about 2 hours along the river, caught so many fish lost count, you ever catch any browns around shunda viewpoint?

BGSH
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
how did it break your rod?!!? did it spool you or what?

i am going with sage now

boroumand8
10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
walk in slowly or they will see you and spook, i was going to go to Shunda viewpoint to fish but i decided to stiick around more towards Nordegg, i walked about 2 hours along the river, caught so many fish lost count, you ever catch any browns around shunda viewpoint?

No. Just brookies and golden trout. Goldens are hard to catch. Maybe 0-2 everytime I go there. I've heard of some big ones caught there before but the biggest I've ever caught was about 6 1\2 inches :mad3:

Jayhad
10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
i am going with sage now

Shawn, I've been a dedicated Sage user since '89 and I am currently on the Key Guide program for FarBanks, so I am fairly dedicated. The only rods allowed in my boat are Farbanks sticks, if you don't have one you get to use mine. Without saying anything that can be taken out of context or get me in trouble with such a great corporation.... owning a Sage doesn't mean it won't break....with progessions in high modulous graphite sometimes the smallest bruise can cause a compression fracture. typically I warranty 2 a season. (a season being 180+ days)

besides that which one would you get? Zs are super cheap and you can even find VXP blanks for under $250 from FishTales, but now the ONE is on the market... newest and greatest

Jayhad
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
No. Just brookies and golden trout. Goldens are hard to catch. Maybe 0-2 everytime I go there. I've heard of some big ones caught there before but the biggest I've ever caught was about 6 1\2 inches :mad3:

where do you suppose the goldens are coming from? I thought they were only presant in Barnaby, Coral and Michelle. are they drifting down?

BGSH
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Shawn, I've been a dedicated Sage user since '89 and I am currently on the Key Guide program for FarBanks, so I am fairly dedicated. The only rods in allowed in my boat are Farbanks sticks, if you don't have one you get to use mine. Without saying anything that can be taking out of context or get me in trouble with such a great corporation.... owning a Sage doesn't mean it won't break.... typically I warranty 2 a season. (a season being 180+ days)

besides that which one would you get? Zs are super cheap and you can even find VXP blanks for under $250 from FishTales, but now the ONE is on the market... newest and greatest

probably the 99 series 4 wt for those small creeks and streams reviews are great and can not wait to get one

boroumand8
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=best guide shawn ya Balckstone was good, but caught no fish there, Chungo creek had tonns of brookies in it but no cutts or bulls, Shunda was awsome, Lost a couple BIG browns that put up a great fight, just could not keep up, the brookies are almost spawning, saw some big ones in the 20inch range but they did not want to bite, love Shunda, may get out there one more time around the 28th before it closes for 8 months :) nothing beats Shunda creek, care[/QUOTE]
Really! I have only once ever caught a brookie at chungo and always catch a whole bunch of cutthroats and bulls In chungo. Never caught anything in shunda though. The creek I fish comes from Lawrence creek

Jayhad
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
probably the 99 series 4 wt for those small creeks and streams reviews are great and can not wait to get one

you might want to try a 4100 Z or 490 VXP, the 99s are designed to throw big wide loops which can cause issues in the tight creeks and can present dries poorly.... you may want to look at the ESN series are they are more of a medium action, still throw tight loops and are longer.

BGSH
10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
you might want to try a 4100 Z or 490 VXP, the 99s are designed to throw big wide loops which can cause issues in the tight creeks and can present dries poorly.... you may want to look at the ESN series are they are more of a medium action, still throw tight loops and are longer.

cool, i will check it out, thankyou

boroumand8
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM
where do you suppose the goldens are coming from? I thought they were only presant in Barnaby, Coral and Michelle. are they drifting down?
I'll try to take a few pictures when I go there

FishingFrenzy
10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Also curious to see these "golden trout" never heard of goldens in shunda. I understood they were stocked in HIGH mountain lakes and they have a hard time surviving in lower elevations.. Also doesn't seem like they would be put there by the "bucket brigade" due to the length of the hike up to lakes where they are stocked!

Really curious to see some pics of them!!!! I would love to catch a golden in the Nordegg area.

Shawn, you fish that area alot, have you ever seen a golden??

BGSH
10-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Also curious to see these "golden trout" never heard of goldens in shunda. I understood they were stocked in HIGH mountain lakes and they have a hard time surviving in lower elevations.. Also doesn't seem like they would be put there by the "bucket brigade" due to the length of the hike up to lakes where they are stocked!

Really curious to see some pics of them!!!! I would love to catch a golden in the Nordegg area.

Shawn, you fish that area alot, have you ever seen a golden??

never have caught a Golden trout in the Shunda but have never fished by the Shunda viewpoint as well, maby next time, would be cool if there was Golden trout, as far as i know there are browns,brookies and maby the odd bull.

boroumand8
10-06-2011, 08:55 PM
never have caught a Golden trout in the Shunda but have never fished by the Shunda viewpoint as well, maby next time, would be cool if there was Golden trout, as far as i know there are browns,brookies and maby the odd bull.
Not exactly at the viewpoint but the trail starts at a radar tower. Like I said there's a trail that their building into a road that goes north and follow the road and you will get to a small field to your left and take the trail that goes by the field

Thundercatcher
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Wasn't it cold at nights camping there?

BGSH
10-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Wasn't it cold at nights camping there?

It was freezing, my truck doors froze shut by mourning, thats why i had a nice fire going with some hot chocolate a good sleeping bag one man tent a blanket wool socks layers and good boots

Steven Noel
10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the pics and reports on some of my favourite streams. :wave:

BGSH
10-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the pics and reports on some of my favourite streams. :wave:

Your welcome, it is my favorite stream to fish in Alberta. Should also note i did see lots of fish and wildlife out there to checking out hunters, great to see them out there.

Flyfisher87
10-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Definitely one of my favorite areas to be in. Long overdue for a nice long hike in that country again.

Flyfisher87
10-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Your welcome, it is my favorite stream to fish in Alberta. Should also note i did see lots of fish and wildlife out there to checking out hunters, great to see them out there.

I have been seeing lots of officers as well in the backcountry. Very good to see.

Flyfisher87
10-08-2011, 08:44 AM
On another note, I will give ya $100 for that reel....... :D

If I was still flyfishing, I would second that motion. Used to dream about reels like that lol.

zabbo
10-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Great pics. Pretty fish!

Daceminnow
10-08-2011, 08:06 PM
nice shots shawn. thanks.

Dace

Steven Noel
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Caught my first brown out of Shunda....

Dust1n
10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Caught my first brown out of Shunda....

Steven have you caught any pigs out of shunda yet this year?(4lbs+)

Steven Noel
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Steven have you caught any pigs out of shunda yet this year?(4lbs+)

Not much lately. Used to kill them but the section we used to fish regularily got hammered by a group of River Otters. Fishing there has gone down since.

But oh well, give them some time, they'll eat themselves out of house and home and move down the creek.

BGSH
10-09-2011, 10:07 PM
river otters, i thought beavers were the only thing in Alberta, never saw a river otter before.

Steven Noel
10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
river otters, i thought beavers were the only thing in Alberta, never saw a river otter before.

They're pretty cool, but eat a ton of fish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_River_Otter

Dust1n
10-09-2011, 10:36 PM

We also got these muskrats that will clean a river out of clams and premature pike.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=muskrat+diets&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADSA_enCA361CA361&biw=853&bih=575&tbm=isch&tbnid=WK6QzB35lP1AZM:&imgrefurl=http://tompreneysblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/muskrat-behaviour.html&docid=-3AN95MippHCNM&w=850&h=567&ei=GnaSTqfdK4PW0QGK_akb&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=213&page=2&tbnh=160&tbnw=204&start=12&ndsp=6&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:12&tx=152&ty=112

BGSH
10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
We also got these muskrats that will clean a river out of clams and premature pike.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=muskrat+diets&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADSA_enCA361CA361&biw=853&bih=575&tbm=isch&tbnid=WK6QzB35lP1AZM:&imgrefurl=http://tompreneysblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/muskrat-behaviour.html&docid=-3AN95MippHCNM&w=850&h=567&ei=GnaSTqfdK4PW0QGK_akb&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=213&page=2&tbnh=160&tbnw=204&start=12&ndsp=6&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:12&tx=152&ty=112

Is it legal to kill musrats and otters, are they considered pests, dont think they should be in these rivers if there doing more harm then good

Dust1n
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Is it legal to kill musrats and otters, are they considered pests, dont think they should be in these rivers if there doing more harm then good

I dont think its illigal if you trap them. Im not sure though i dont trap...

BGSH
10-09-2011, 11:02 PM
I dont think its illigal if you trap them. Im not sure though i dont trap...

If musrats are pets and so are otters you would think they would control them more if they are damaging the creeks? and i also think there are a few to many beaver dams in Shunda, i walked for ever south on the Shunda saw lots of dams

Dust1n
10-09-2011, 11:10 PM
If musrats are pets and so are otters you would think they would control them more if they are damaging the creeks? and i also think there are a few to many beaver dams in Shunda, i walked for ever south on the Shunda saw lots of dams

The beaver damns are a good thing for Shunda besides on how the brown trout travel to spawn...the brookies get massive in them and the browns can get just as big feeding on the brookies. it gives protection to the fish by making the water deeper and faster below it creating a better stage for nymphs that need oxygenated water like stoneflys.

The Drawbacks are the spawning for the brown trout so they cant migrate.
It could cause flooding
Theres probibly more

BGSH
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
The beaver damns are a good thing for Shunda besides on how the brown trout travel to spawn...the brookies get massive in them and the browns can get just as big feeding on the brookies. it gives protection to the fish by making the water deeper and faster below it creating a better stage for nymphs that need oxygenated water like stoneflys.

The Drawbacks are the spawning for the brown trout so they cant migrate.
It could cause flooding
Theres probibly more

Yea was curious because every bend there is a dam, and that creek has alot of turns in it, the only places that do not have dams is by the highway, makes me think that srd is to lazy to walk up a bit and make ways to where they need to clear the dams out where needed most

Dust1n
10-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Yea was curious because every bend there is a dam, and that creek has alot of turns in it, the only places that do not have dams is by the highway, makes me think that srd is to lazy to walk up a bit and make ways to where they need to clear the dams out where needed most

im not too sure on this but i think they clear them every other season
but im not sure of it i cant see them clearing them every season.

tommyguitar
10-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Both of you guys (best guide, fish hunter) should take a trapping course and get your license. Both of you would make good trappers and we could use some more these days.

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 03:24 AM

We forced otters to the edge of extinction.

We should be happy they are making a come back. Many outdoorsmen have never seen one ever because we nearly wiped them out. River otters do not live in high densities and in almost all areas of the country you are lucky to see them.

Beautiful, playful, and curious creatures.

A pest? As much as an eagle or an osprey. Or a fisherman.

Interesting concept that beavers are pests. They used to cover the countryside and our vegetation and rivers had evolved to co-exist with them after the last ice age.

Wetlands are highly productive and aid in reducing extreme flooding events like what we have seen in MB.

Xiph0id
10-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Oh cool great to meet you, Biggest for me was a 20 incher at Muir, ya Balckstone was good, but caught no fish there, Chungo creek had tonns of brookies in it but no cutts or bulls, Shunda was awsome, Lost a couple BIG browns that put up a great fight, just could not keep up, the brookies are almost spawning, saw some big ones in the 20inch range but they did not want to bite, love Shunda, may get out there one more time around the 28th before it closes for 8 months :) nothing beats Shunda creek, take care

I'm in. Will be a bit chilly. But it's worth it.
Nothing like one last mountain trip before the season closes.

boroumand8
10-10-2011, 10:44 AM
No golden trout today. The brookies you caught sure got alot of nice colour on them. I left early cause of the ice hanging off of my tent in early morning. Woke up and found bear tracks right outside my tent. Has anyone else seen bear tracks around that Nordegg- rockey area lately?

Xiph0id
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
No golden trout today. The brookies you caught sure got alot of nice colour on them. I left early cause of the ice hanging off of my tent in early morning. Woke up and found bear tracks right outside my tent. Has anyone else seen bear tracks around that Nordegg- rockey area lately?

Camped around there a few times.
Only time I seen any evidence of a bear was a bear it's self but that was on the clearwater. So nothing close by.

What was the temp overnight?

boroumand8
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Camped around there a few times.
Only time I seen any evidence of a bear was a bear it's self but that was on the clearwater. So nothing close by.

What was the temp overnight?
I think somewhere between -3 and -6

Xiph0id
10-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I think somewhere between -3 and -6

That's not too bad.
It got down to -1 last time I was camped the ram.

Just gotta make that fire bigger!

Dust1n
10-10-2011, 09:37 PM

When you say golden trout do you mean brown trout because they are sometimes a golden color.
Best thing to do is to take a picture of it.

Did It Kinda Look Like This?
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Brown%20trout/Capture10-1.png

BGSH
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I have never got the chance to fish in a stream or lake with golden trout, cannot wait untill next summer to make a dream come true :fighting0030:

boroumand8
10-11-2011, 08:44 PM
When you say golden trout do you mean brown trout because they are sometimes a golden color.
Best thing to do is to take a picture of it.

Did It Kinda Look Like This?
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Brown%20trout/Capture10-1.png

Not at all. It doesn't really have any spots, it's gold, it's colourful, and it has a big read line from it's eye to it's start of it's tail. The biggest I've ever caught was 7 inches