PDA

View Full Version : Looking to overnight @ a lake in late December in CGY area. Suggestions?

maverick_8teen
10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
So i got the week off between x-mas and new years and was planning on a trip to a lake and overnight. Want to fish for Perch one day and Pike the other. Only ice fished for 3 seasons now, this year being the 4th and always been out for Pike. I wanted to try for perch as i find them a tasty delight and hear they can be fun to catch when a school is right under your hole.

Heres the kicker...i dont want to overnight it "ON THE LAKE". want to be able to set up camp on LAND. With that said im looking for a lake to winter camp and ice fish for Pike and Perch. Im quite fond of Badger Lake and as far as lakes go im somewhat familier with the topographical layout.

Im not pulling the trailer out, just gonna tent it so its not like I need a large area...the part that concerns me is fire. Mid winter, i am going to start one, dont need a fine for doing so. I can supply the wood if needed.

I would like to go to Badger but not sure about fire pits or laws of having one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what lake i can go to with Big Pike, plenty of Perch, i can spend the night and have a fire?

Crusty
10-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Dewitt's Pond.

maverick_8teen
10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Really??? Are u serious?

Last i checked, earlier this year when i took a drive out there just to see what it was like, theres no chance a Pike would be in there, even if there was one Pike in there it would have ate all the other fish that they stock that pond with. I could walk across it in under a minute, and ill bet when it freezes over theres more ice than water. It wouldnt suprise me if my auger hit the bottom.

Maybe i should specify...a Lake for me to pull out some trophy fish, not a pond for my 3 year old son to catch his first.

wwbirds
10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
But looking for trophy pike and perch in Calgary area is about 400 miles too far south.
Rainbows and Brown trout but unless you consider the axe handles in chestermere slough "trophies" I think you are thinking about the wrong area for both pike and perch. No or very little public land in southern Alberta just complicates answering your request hence no responses.:thinking-006:

Have heard of some good ice fishing for pike at mcgregor but don't consider that Calgary area but I guess that is subject to interpretation. Once again I expect most land in that area is privately owned.

maverick_8teen
10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
You make 2 Valid points. First i guess i didnt mean Trophy...Dewitts pond just sounds like a joke to me as far as making a 2 day trip out of. To go there for a quiet evening or morrning or just to take the kids its fine.

Second, my interpretation of CGY area, when it comes to Lake fishing is more like a 2 hour drive. I dont see many Lakes within an hour of CGY. Id be fine with Travers, Crawling, McGreggor, etc but i dont want to get all the way out there and find out that i cant spend the night.

The only thing i found that seems ok is Lake Newell. Not sure if i want to go quite that far though. The only thing that ive been able to find that helps is the Travel Alberta website where you can search for winter camping and ice fishing but it only comes up with provincial areas and they are few and far between.

I know there are more out there. I spend my summers camping out near Caroline AB and there are lakes out there that i could go to but the only one that i know of that you can ice fish with a campground only has trout and perch...no Pike.

Tezma
10-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, If you want Trophy Fish, I would go to Badger Lake to Ice fish.
They have big perch HUGE PIKE< and white fish. It also has the odd EYE.

I would go there. Camping is free. Big fish. Just a tad bit windy.

Would be cool to set up snow blinds around the holes with your sons, to keep them busy while you fish, and then you can clear a section of snow to skate on.
Just some ideas.

I would recommend making lots of eggs and keeping the egg shells and crush them and place a hand full in the hole. That way you can see dark figures around your bait.

MoFugger21
10-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, If you want Trophy Fish, I would go to Badger Lake to Ice fish.
They have big perch HUGE PIKE< and white fish. It also has the odd EYE.

I would go there. Camping is free. Big fish. Just a tad bit windy.

Would be cool to set up snow blinds around the holes with your sons, to keep them busy while you fish, and then you can clear a section of snow to skate on.
Just some ideas.

I would recommend making lots of eggs and keeping the egg shells and crush them and place a hand full in the hole. That way you can see dark figures around your bait.

Pretty poor/bad/illegal advice.....

See links:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=shells
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=85877&highlight=chumming

Albertadiver
10-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I've been thinking about something similar myself, but would be pulling my 22ft arctic fox trailer out.

Haven't found anything yet that looks promising, and I'd be going for perch or trout.

MoFugger21
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh, and if you don't want to camp out right on the ice... Depending on where you go on the lake, Travers usually has a shoreline you could set a tent up on. Can't see this being a problem, as there's always over-nighters in trailers on the lake.

As far as a fire goes.... Lots of people have fires on the ice/shore, but that doesn't necessarily mean its legal. But taking some sort of portable fire pit might be an idea.

BeeGuy
10-07-2011, 04:22 PM

See links:

You would never get a conviction for this.

Tezma
10-07-2011, 04:32 PM

See links:

Well, You may have a point, But its Biodegradeable.

I could care less if it is legal or not. I do it to add excitment when its boring out on the ice.

Having a fire on the Ice is more illegal than throwing Egg shells in a the hole.

When the ice melts all the trash that was burnt and wood and what ever else is in there is going to pollute the lake...

I will be phoning F&W on tuesday... To see what he can charge you with and how much it is... I'll bring up that after a certian period of time the shells will biodegrate..

Anyways, I do it.

Albertadiver
10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
All the OP is looking for is a place to overnight camp in a tent on a lake near calgary that has perch and pike in it.

All that other stuff has been beaten to death in many other threads. Do a search and enjoy to your hearts content.

Tezma
10-07-2011, 04:40 PM
All the OP is looking for is a place to overnight camp in a tent on a lake near calgary that has perch and pike in it.

All that other stuff has been beaten to death in many other threads. Do a search and enjoy to your hearts content.

Badger Lake, Camp there.
Good fishing in the winter! Bring smelts and minnows.

maverick_8teen
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Im a big fan of badger except the wind. Again im familiar with the lake just wasnt sure about camping on the shore. Ive never been there in the summer as i dont have a boat. anytime ive drove in, in the winter theres always been so much snow i cant tell if its an area where one might be able to have a fire, Is there a shrub bush under that foot of snow or a gravel pad?

Ive fished Badger many times McGreggor, Eagle, Travers but have only pulled fish out of Badger...never had any luck on the other lakes. Guess thats why im a fan of Badger.

As far as the bait goes, we tried _____________ last year. Im litterally drawing a blank right now, cant remember what they were called but actually bought them @ superstore. they were about 10" ...idea was to catch the big Pike. We got a few extra Pike that day than we normally do but none were exceptionally bigger than the ones we catch with Lrage Smelts. If i think of the name ill be sure to post it.

Legal or not i think i might try the egg shell idea just to see what its all about.

Sundancefisher
10-08-2011, 09:46 AM
If you are going to be in the neighborhood...PM me as there is currently a chance to catch a trophy perch at Lake Sundance. I love meeting new AOF members. I am up to about 40 now. The biggest we saw this year was 14 inches. The biggest caught ever that I know of is 16 inches. I have seen some monsters...but the average has gone up from about 5 inches to 8+ inches. We have seen lots in the 8 - 10 inch range.

Someone posted a long time ago that once we get our perch big again that "outsiders" would not be welcome. Firstly...AOF friends are never outsiders.

As I posted then...perch are an ongoing nuisance that we can never get rid of and as such we have to maintain constant pressure year in and year out using both netting and fishing.

So...if you are down this winter...just PM. I am always looking for an excuse to go out and catch some. I have plenty so any I catch are yours to take home as a bonus! :sHa_shakeshout:

If you can crash with a friend in Calgary they can come also.

Cheers

Sun

maverick_8teen
10-09-2011, 08:31 AM
If you are going to be in the neighborhood...PM me as there is currently a chance to catch a trophy perch at Lake Sundance. I love meeting new AOF members. I am up to about 40 now. The biggest we saw this year was 14 inches. The biggest caught ever that I know of is 16 inches. I have seen some monsters...but the average has gone up from about 5 inches to 8+ inches. We have seen lots in the 8 - 10 inch range.

Someone posted a long time ago that once we get our perch big again that "outsiders" would not be welcome. Firstly...AOF friends are never outsiders.

As I posted then...perch are an ongoing nuisance that we can never get rid of and as such we have to maintain constant pressure year in and year out using both netting and fishing.

So...if you are down this winter...just PM. I am always looking for an excuse to go out and catch some. I have plenty so any I catch are yours to take home as a bonus! :sHa_shakeshout:

If you can crash with a friend in Calgary they can come also.

Cheers

Sun

Well i live in Airdrie so finding somewhere to spend the night isnt necessary. It looks like a man made/stocked lake, no streams in or out so are the fish worth eating? You Ice Fish that in the winter? I was always told that Ice Fishing was illegal in municiple areas? None the Less if you are allowed to, even if the fish arent worth eating im sure it would be a hoot to get some fishing in close to home. I always enjoy being out on the ice with some good company.

AlbertaAngler
10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I will cast another vote for Badger.

During the derby people camp on shore and on the ice and have fires in both places and I have never heard of it being an issue. If it's on the ice though use a pit and take the waste off.

It has large pike and I have seen perch on the camera although I have never targeted or caught one.

Sundancefisher
10-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Well i live in Airdrie so finding somewhere to spend the night isnt necessary. It looks like a man made/stocked lake, no streams in or out so are the fish worth eating? You Ice Fish that in the winter? I was always told that Ice Fishing was illegal in municiple areas? None the Less if you are allowed to, even if the fish arent worth eating im sure it would be a hoot to get some fishing in close to home. I always enjoy being out on the ice with some good company.

I find the trout taste muddy but the perch are delicious. Lots of people eat perch and because it is a private lake I can give you a Bill of Lading to take over your limit home. Our lake up till last year was filled with City drinking water. This year it was topped up with rain. Next year it will be well water.

Ice fishing is legal in lakes...storm water ponds it is not...but there are no fish there anyways.

Best ice fishing starts just before Christmas. Perch up to 100/day is possible. As the population of perch is lower...their size is bigger but catch rates can be lower. Moving around and using marmish with light line and tiny jigs seems to produce best...but fatboys with mealworms also work well.

Cheers

Sun

aulrich
10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Does Badger have burbot in it (I guess I could look it up but I am lazy) becuase that way the fishing fun does not have to stop when the sun goes down.

huntslots
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
How about Burnstick Lake, South and West of Caroline. We have fished it many times and caught lots of perch and pike. Not too far from Calgary and lots of places to camp on land.

Tezma
10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Does Badger have burbot in it (I guess I could look it up but I am lazy) becuase that way the fishing fun does not have to stop when the sun goes down.

Buy your self a 10 Million candle light Flash light, Fab up a rig and have it point inside the hole...

My buddys to it for a night time fishingh tourney.

JOKES, LOL