PDA

View Full Version : 17 hmr or 22 wmr semi would be fun

DG1
10-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone else would think these center fire would be enjoyed in semi? Was wondering why not in semi?

Lefty-Canuck
10-06-2011, 10:04 PM
for the .17hmr.....$$$$$$$$$$$....on ammo

.....nuff said.....

LC

wwbirds
10-06-2011, 10:08 PM
And I think this year CZ is making at least one of them in semi auto probably the wmr

gitrdun
10-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Fun? maybe....Improving shooting skills......NOT!

vcmm
10-06-2011, 10:14 PM
CZ 512 semi-22mag. I have one.Fun Yes EXPENSIVE to shoot YES

DG1
10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Not being rude, dont care about your finance or how your close you shoot close to the target. I just wondering why not semi auto in 17 or 22, it would be fun. If you cared about the cost you wouldn't own a 17 or 22. You would own a 22lr . If close to the target you care about would buy a center fire. Just wondering who else would enjoy a semi in a rim fire beside a 22lr

wally338
10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I have a Ruger 10/22 magnum in 22 mag great for gophers lots fun expensive? hardly

DG1
10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
yes i messed up i meant to say rim fire not center fire.:angry3:

Twisted Canuck
10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I have my Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen lower for lead slinging fun.

There is not much point to having a semi .17 hmr though, IMO. My Marlin 917VSF is so deadly accurate, there is no need for a follow up shot if I do my part. I have scragged gophers out to 300 yrds with it, and wouldn't see any need for a semi.

Lefty-Canuck
10-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I own 3 .17hmrs....none are semi-auto. 2 bolt actions and one break action single shot. My semi-auto rimfires are in .22lr because they are cheaper to shoot. When you have kids and they like to hear the gun make noise .22lr all the way. $2.00 a box vs $14.00 makes good economical sense to me. I am just partial to bolt actions as well so thats why I don't own a .17hmr semi. IF ammo was $2.00 a box for .17hmr....you bet I would though :) Keep in mind I am far from cheap....I do own and shoot several Weatherby rifles....you want to talk about spendy ammo....

Just my opinion....the fact I am a lefty likely has something to do with it too....I don't like all that little brass flying in front of my face.

LC

DG1
10-06-2011, 11:30 PM
The thing is i love center fire guns. They do the job and very well. But some times i'm alittle trigger happy. The bang of of 17 and 22 In semi would be a blast. Again why not the 17 and 22 IN SEMI?:sign0176:

vcmm
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Got my semi 22 mag just cause I wanted one. I also own 2 bolt action- CZ 452 ad a Marlin983T for my truck rifle.

dogslayer403
10-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Ive always wished they made a ar15 type rifle in 22mag would be so much fun and cheaper than your 223 models. only downside to a 17hmr semi is they would get dirty so quick.

DG1
10-06-2011, 11:45 PM
haha cattle farmer might :sHa_shakeshout:love you for that!

thepyrofish
10-07-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't remember the details, but I think someone did make a semi-17 at one point. It was discontinued due to risk of explosion. Apparently there is something about that cartridge that is inherently dangerous in a semi-auto.

I've got to get back to work, but I'm sure if you google a bit you could find the info.

Lefty-Canuck
10-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I don't remember the details, but I think someone did make a semi-17 at one point. It was discontinued due to risk of explosion. Apparently there is something about that cartridge that is inherently dangerous in a semi-auto.

I've got to get back to work, but I'm sure if you google a bit you could find the info.

Yup...Remington 597 came in a .17hmr if I am not mistaken. Discontinued and a recall came out one them due to safety issues.

LC

Rod1960
10-07-2011, 07:36 AM
17 HMR Notice
September 15, 2009
17 HMR message from Steve Hornady

Recently there have been notices placed on several web sites warning about the use of 17HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms. Statements are to the effect of do not use 17HMR ammunition in semi-auto firearms or serious injury may result and do not use unless or until you have contacted the manufacturer of your firearm. Every ammunition manufacturer determines the warning it believes is appropriate for its product.

First and foremost, the safety of our customers is our primary concern, and the same is true for all other SAAMI member companies. We are making this statement to hopefully reduce confusion, answer questions and clarify issues.

We believe 17HMR ammunition is manufactured to the highest standard of care and quality and performs within the specifications established for 17HMR ammunition and is consistent with SAAMI standards for ALL ammunition.

We are not firearms manufacturers and we believe the firearms manufacturers are solely the ones responsible for determining if and how they should market and sell a model or type of firearm. WE STRONGLY URGE YOU TO CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR FIREARM TO DETERMINE IF IT IS SAFE TO USE 17HMR AMMUNITION IN YOUR SPECIFIC TYPE AND MODEL OF FIREARM.

We specifically warn you: DO NOT USE 17HMR AMMUNITION IN FIREARMS IF THE MANUFACTURER OF THAT FIREARM HAS STATED IT WILL NOT SAFELY FUNCTION WITH 17HMR AMMUNITION. SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT.

Accordingly, you should only use 17HMR, and any other ammunition, in firearms specifically marked by the firearms manufacturer as designed for the ammunition you intend to use.

We specifically cannot tell you that a certain type firearm, be it semi-auto, bolt, lever, or otherwise, is safe or unsafe with this or any other ammunition. In our experience, a type of firearm is neither good or bad, safe or unsafe. To state otherwise would imply that we are qualified to state what constitutes a good or bad, safe or unsafe firearm design or type and we are not qualified to make that determination.

http://www.hornady.com/in-the-news/latest-news/17-hmr-notice

Lefty-Canuck
10-07-2011, 08:11 AM
From Remington Website....

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice.aspx

LC