PDA

View Full Version : Found: Fishing Equipment

Dusty Rhodes
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
A week or two ago, I was driving on TWP 514, east of Range Rd 22. Something at the edge of the road caught my eye, so I backed up and collected it. If I fished, I wouldn't want to lose it. The owner can claim it by correctly describing it. I will answer any non-frivolous response, but will not divulge what it is. The rightful owner will give the proper description.

Faststeel
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Chances are better than 50/50 that the guy who left the gear doesn't ever visit this web site? FS

iliketrout
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Dusty, good on ya, seeing how this was your first post as a member it looks like you joined to try to help out a fellow outdoorsmen. Not mine, but TTT in the hopes that the owner sees this.

Toirtis
10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
If it is fly-fishing gear, try posting on the two major Alberta fly-fishing forums as well....I know of a couple of fly-fishers that lost gear in the past 3-5 weeks.

Isopod
10-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Fishing equipment abandoned at the side of the road? I think it's yours now.

Dusty Rhodes
10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah, legally it's mine, but I don't think it was "abandoned". Lost is more like it. Where I found it, is a long way from any place to fish. I think that it is more likely that someone was going fishing, and forgot it on the roof of his vehicle, (or trunk or bumper or something), and drove away. Where I found it is probably where it fell off. I think the owner lives in the area, so he'll likely get it back eventually. As long as no-one but me knows what it is, I'll know when I find the owner.

Sundancefisher
10-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, legally it's mine, but I don't think it was "abandoned". Lost is more like it. Where I found it, is a long way from any place to fish. I think that it is more likely that someone was going fishing, and forgot it on the roof of his vehicle, (or trunk or bumper or something), and drove away. Where I found it is probably where it fell off. I think the owner lives in the area, so he'll likely get it back eventually. As long as no-one but me knows what it is, I'll know when I find the owner.

Legally...until you report and turn in the stuff it is not yours. I could be lost or stolen. Reporting it to you local police station is the way to legally acquire it.

Just before holidays I found an iPod touch.

I tried to find a phone number on it but it was locked. I checked with apple but it was not registered. I turned it into the police station and no one claimed it. It then legally became mine.

Word of wisdom...don't let you kids lock the iPod. Also put a return contact number in the notes.

Cheers sun

Lefty-Canuck
10-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Put up a small sign where you found it......with your email or contact info. If the guy is from the area he likely drives by there at least 1-2 times a day....you will hear from him...if not you did what you could do.

LC

Rascal4now
10-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I lost a little net after being at sardine lake. Donmt know if it fell out of my truck or if I lost it on the hike around the lake

Sundancefisher
10-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Put up a small sign where you found it......with your email or contact info. If the guy is from the area he likely drives by there at least 1-2 times a day....you will hear from him...if not you did what you could do.

LC

I went on holidays first thing in the morning after finding it. I was gone for 3 weeks...then back and gone again. Unfortunately all I could do is find something on the Ipod or Apple...or hope they checked with the police station. It was only about 6 blocks away.

While the screen was cracked...it still works enough to play songs...so it has a good home.

:)

Speckle55
10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Dusty page 2 back lost a fly box and page 13 and page 15 back lost stuff and posted.. thanks for being honest ,,Karma will pay you for this:sHa_shakeshout:

David

ice
10-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Hmm let me tAke a stab at this..
Is it a box... with things in it that appear to have hooks attached to them?

Dusty Rhodes
10-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the help Speckle55 but no luck. I did a search for "lost", "find" and "found"; still nothing that fits.
Nice try Ice, but I'm looking for a specific description of what it is. Stabs at it (guesses) don't count.

Toirtis
10-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Not sure just where RR22 is, but I spotted this advert on Kijiji:

"Six weight Sage Fly Rod, lost Labour Day - beside the Highway 24 Bridge at Carseland - left on roof of my station wagon! Went back but it's gone. Could be anywhere between Carseland and North West Calgary where I live. It has a Fenwick reel and floating line on it. "

lucky_magic_stick
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I posted this on "flyfishcalgary" forum. Stand up gentlemen you are, hopefully it finds it's right home!

Dusty Rhodes
10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
No luck yet. Sorry to all those people that are hoping to recover what they lost. All responses so far are not right for what I have. For information's sake, this was found about 25km southwest of Stony Plain. Stony Plain is about 30K or so(??) west of Edmonton.
I happened to run into a F&W guy tonight, who lives in the area, as I was heading to where I found it, to post a sign (which I did). He gave me a lead on the only guy he knows of, in the immediate area that fishes. Tomorrow I'll drop in and ask. If not, I'll wait a few days and see if the sign generates any valid response. I kind of think the owner lives close by. Most people who fish know other people who fish. Just like any other sport. I should be able to find the right person in not too long a time. I'm not working right now so it's kind of fun playing find-the-fisherman. lol
Thanks for all the kudos, but I'm not a saint, and I don't spend every waking moment trying to find the owner. I just know what it's like to lose stuff, or have things stolen.

YeeHaw
10-11-2011, 09:04 AM
If that I pod is a 32 gig, has a cracked screen in the upper right corner with one crack line going deeper down on it, and a summit racing decal on the back please let me know. House was broke into and that was also taken. Its a long shot but who knows.