PDA

View Full Version : PCR Fishing ..

Eddy62
10-07-2011, 06:58 AM
you no i took my brother and newphew to pcr yesterday and had a blast between the 2 off them they caught well over 100 fish and went through a large bag off smelts in 5 hrs unreal.

As we were fishing we could see this guy from far away and we knew it was a co so he approached us and did the routine licence,barbless,checked are coolers and my nap sack ( i didnt care as i am a 100 percent catch and release fisherman ) then when he was done he started to chat with me about lake.

9 years ago they stocked this lake and he told me its not getting to the point with spawning or growth. As i am not that experienced with walleye fishing and growth off walleye as alot of you anglers.

My question is what will they do with PCR as far as im concerned these fish are starving and i was glad to feed them lol. So should they let anglers have a small limit and thin this lake out a little ? will the walleye ever get to a bigger size i dont see much off a change from 2 years ago..

Ultra light rod and reel sure is a blast there though.....

ak-71
10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
I think walleye in PCR is not to be consumed because of the high mercury level anyway

npauls
10-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I think they need to stock some sort of bait fish in there for the predators to eat.

This could help with growth rates and keep these fish from starving.

Could be a nice walleye lake if they could ever get it to where the other walleye lakes around southern Alberta are.

Gary K
10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
perch, whitefish.

that would be good in my books.

BeeGuy
10-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I think walleye in PCR is not to be consumed because of the high mercury level anyway

I had heard this as well, so I read the reports.

It is not particularly true.

Hg levels in PCR fish are around levels similar to many other water bodies in Alberta, as well as what you buy at the grocery store.

They're probably delicious.

Note that you can consume pike and burbot, and burbot have higher Hg levels than most species.

Nakoda boater
10-07-2011, 03:24 PM
you no i took my brother and newphew to pcr yesterday and had a blast between the 2 off them they caught well over 100 fish and went through a large bag off smelts in 5 hrs unreal.

As we were fishing we could see this guy from far away and we knew it was a co so he approached us and did the routine licence,barbless,checked are coolers and my nap sack ( i didnt care as i am a 100 percent catch and release fisherman ) then when he was done he started to chat with me about lake.

9 years ago they stocked this lake and he told me its not getting to the point with spawning or growth. As i am not that experienced with walleye fishing and growth off walleye as alot of you anglers.

My question is what will they do with PCR as far as im concerned these fish are starving and i was glad to feed them lol. So should they let anglers have a small limit and thin this lake out a little ? will the walleye ever get to a bigger size i dont see much off a change from 2 years ago..

Ultra light rod and reel sure is a blast there though.....

Where do u get your smelts from?

0liver
10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
stocking some whites would sure help out.

Or maybe if people would stop bonking suckers from PCR... LMFAO kidding kidding...

Oliver

Dust1n
10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
stocking the lake with minnows would be the best bet.
the walleye at sylvan only key in on them at fall and in summer and spring i never see them having an aggresion towards them.

Wes_G
10-07-2011, 05:41 PM
There is no such thing as a small limit. With how the fish bite in that lake it would be fished out in no time, especially come ice fishing season. I would have figured that bait fish would have moved in by now through the canal system. What lake feeds PCR anyway?

Eddy62
10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Where do u get your smelts from?big bags at superstore 6 dollars use them all the time

Rick.
10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Don't try to fix this lake please... It is the best place ever to take the grand kids for a day of excitement. They love it and therefore ... so do I. Having said that it's my last choice ( actually no even a choice) when the grand kids aren't coming. Rick.

Dust1n
10-07-2011, 06:50 PM
its not that...when the popluation is too high and theres a shortage of bait the walleye starve themselves and make themselves super aggresive biting on everything. Bassicly if the bait shortage continues the walleye will die...

Thundercatcher
10-07-2011, 07:45 PM
What does PCR stand for and where is this lake?

Gust
10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Pine Coulee Reservoir
paste this number into google maps
50.160185,-113.738708

slivers86
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Don't try to fix this lake please... It is the best place ever to take the grand kids for a day of excitement. They love it and therefore ... so do I. Having said that it's my last choice ( actually no even a choice) when the grand kids aren't coming. Rick.

I'd agree rick, fished it once with my other half's cousin, caught his first few fish there. I wont go back until I have a couple youngsters, or people who never fished before to get the first few! All be it, we did go hit up a river nearby to follow up on some 'real' fishing :)

BeeGuy
10-07-2011, 10:22 PM
its not that...when the popluation is too high and theres a shortage of bait the walleye starve themselves and make themselves super aggresive biting on everything. Bassicly if the bait shortage continues the walleye will die...

I don't think the fish are starving. They are thin, but extremely muscular. Their bodies are as hard as rocks.

They are however extremely competitive because of the lack of forage for such a huge biomass of predators in the lake.

This lake is going to change significantly in the next few years.

As far as I know there is little or no successful reproduction in the lake, and all of the fish are the same age class. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

This means that sooner or later, all those eyes are going to start dying of old age...................This may mean that some will have the opportunity to grow as the overall biomass of predators is reduced, thus reducing the competition.

But I imagine in a few short years the fishery will not be as it is.

BeeGuy
10-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Holy,

Well, Wikipedia just told me that,

"Walleye can live for DECADES, with the maximum recorded age of 29years"!!!!!!

Looks like we might have a while to go!

npauls
10-07-2011, 10:25 PM
I think the reason that they aren't spawning is because they are stunted from not enough of a food source and to many eyes.

I think if they took some of the eyes out of there and introduced shiners or some other little bait fish it could turn into a very nice eye fishery down the road.

Dust1n
10-07-2011, 10:32 PM
this is like sylvan lake. lets hope it turns out like gull

BeeGuy
10-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I think the reason that they aren't spawning is because they are stunted from not enough of a food source and to many eyes.

I think if they took some of the eyes out of there and introduced shiners or some other little bait fish it could turn into a very nice eye fishery down the road.

It's my understanding that there are bait fish in there, and bait fish can enter from Willow Crk. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong)

But I doubt bait fish survive in there much longer than a baited jig.

ie about 4 seconds.

npauls
10-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Ya exactly,

I think they need to dump a ton of bait in there so that some can survive long enough to reproduce and start a self sustaining fishery.

Commander B
10-08-2011, 01:07 AM
move some...(read allot). to help pine rebound, or up to isle or waub.

B.

ps. feed them sundances problem perch.

npauls
10-08-2011, 01:46 AM
The only problem with putting perch in there would be that they could get out and spread through the water system that is fed by PCR.

If you were to stock shiners or something similar it wouldn't be a problem if some escaped into the water system below the reservoir.