PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal black powder

mathews z7
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
hello just could use some help i just picked up a new thompson center 50 cal bone collector looking for some loads i have some new hornaty 250 grain bullets that i want to use but how much powder 110 grain ? help please and what r people getting for range on these guns thanks again

Deer Hunter
10-07-2011, 02:05 PM
i have one of the bone collectors and I use 120 volume gr of Blackhorn 209, 250 Hor SST and a W209 primer. It works well with the SABR recticle on the 3 pellet setting. Good for 200 yrds, probably could push it out further with practice. The TC Triumph BC is fairly lightweight and the stock doesnt fit well for me, so I really feel the recoil when loaded to the max, especially of the bench at the range.

mathews z7
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your help Wich scope do u have on your gun

Deer Hunter
10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Leupold SABR 3-9 with Talley one piece mount. The mount is superior, really clean and bullet proof. Prophet River had the best prices on the scope and the mount.

benamen
10-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I use the same load stated above except change out the sabot to a Harvester Short Black or Crush Rib. Using a Bushnell DOA 250 scope and shoots to 200 yards quite well.

Deer Hunter
10-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I use the same load stated above except change out the sabot to a Harvester Short Black or Crush Rib. Using a Bushnell DOA 250 scope and shoots to 200 yards quite well.

What is the benefit of changing out the sabot over the red hornady sst ones? Are they easier to load? Some sabots feel like your going to break your gun in half stuffing the bullet. Less so with BH209 though.

Has anyone ever tried a conservative smokeless powder load in a TC Triumph? I was hoping not to be the first. The Encore is more beefy and takes a smokeless load so i've heard...

benamen
10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Deer Hunter;1108427]What is the benefit of changing out the sabot over the red hornady sst ones? Are they easier to load? Some sabots feel like your going to break your gun in half stuffing the bullet. Less so with BH209 though.

I have never used the red sabots but if they only have three petals they are quite thin and should be easy to load. The black sabots that came with the SSTs were thicker and tough to push down the bore. Bent a rod one day. I use the Harvesters as they went down the bore easier as I mentioned plus accuracy is very good.

slipbobber
10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Last I heard the Savage ML was the only MLer able to shoot smokeless powder. I would double check before you shoot smokeless in your Bone Collecter unless you want someone collecting your bones.

mathews z7
10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
i have one of the bone collectors and I use 120 volume gr of Blackhorn 209, 250 Hor SST and a W209 primer. It works well with the SABR recticle on the 3 pellet setting. Good for 200 yrds, probably could push it out further with practice. The TC Triumph BC is fairly lightweight and the stock doesnt fit well for me, so I really feel the recoil when loaded to the max, especially of the bench at the range.

Thanks I am going to buy this scope tomorrow your main cross hair r u dead On at 100 then 2 3 or is it150 2 250 thanks for your help not sure what the two and three pellet setting is al about I am assuming it's to match the load

Deer Hunter
10-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks I am going to buy this scope tomorrow your main cross hair r u dead On at 100 then 2 3 or is it150 2 250 thanks for your help not sure what the two and three pellet setting is al about I am assuming it's to match the load

http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/ultimateslam_3_9x40_specsheet.pdf

dead on at 100 then 150,200,250,300 and the pellet setting allows you to shoot a slow or fast load and still use the recticle as along as its on the appropriate power/pellet setting

Big Daddy Badger
10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
What is the benefit of changing out the sabot over the red hornady sst ones? Are they easier to load? Some sabots feel like your going to break your gun in half stuffing the bullet. Less so with BH209 though.

Has anyone ever tried a conservative smokeless powder load in a TC Triumph? I was hoping not to be the first. The Encore is more beefy and takes a smokeless load so i've heard...

I've tried just about ecerything in my Encore EXCEPT Smokeless.

Right now I load using 100 gr Blackhorn 209 pushed by a 209 Shotshell primer and pushing a 250 gr Hornady SST.
The only other powders I'll use now are Prodex loose with a 95 to 100 grain load...everything else the same or the Blackhorn.

I like the BH because of the reduced fouling and easy cleaning.
I'll find out this fall is cold weather results in ignition problems.

I did look at a couple sites where guys claimed to be using smokeless but after reading their posts... decided that they were clearly not the people that I should take advice from over the manufacturers recommendations.

I think of it like the steel through fully choked shotgun barrels made for Lead shot...you might get a way with it for a time but eventually... something is gonna give and if it is at the receiver.... it'll do more than wreck your day.

mathews z7
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
thanks to all for your help shot the new toy yesterday and worked good but i found th tc shock wave sabots that my new gun came with worked better then the sst problem is they only give u 6 sabots they were a little tighter to push down the barrel but seem to group nicer when i got home i noticed the gun manual recomends to use 150 grains of powder for a 250 grain bullet now i am not sure what to do i was shooting 130 but it says 150 for max speed and foot pounds

Drop_Tine
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Stick to what groups the best , i use 110 gr of triple 7 and shot a 3/4" group at 100 and 3.5 at 200 which is my max distance with a muzzeloader still lots of hitting power at 200 yards!!

Deer Hunter
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Sight it in at 100 yrds with the load that gives you the best groups. Then shoot it at 200 yrds with the SABR recticle and adjust the power setting on your scope until the trjectory matches the recticle. Dont worry about loading it to the absolute max in terms of charge. It wont make a difference if your not accurate. Good to hear your making out well.

precloading
10-12-2011, 06:42 PM
2 x APP pellets and Hornady 300gr SST sabots in a Encore pro hunter produced this 4 shot group at 100 yds. Fired 29 shots without cleaning and cleaned it easily when I got home. Be sure to have a clean dry bbl when shooting sabots.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Precloading/APPpowder003.jpg

Pinhead
10-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Blackhorn 209 all the way. I use 100 grs by volume and a Barnes Spitfire TMZ 250 gr but this year will move up to 290 gr Barnes. Past 100 yards the heavier slugs carry their velocity and ftlbs better. I use a Nikon Omega 3-9X40mm with a 50cal Prohunter with a thumbhole stock. I find when I use 120 grs of 209 or 150 grs of 777 the recoil really increases!! If you can handle that, great use it, I think most of us will be better served at 100 grs.
As for BH209 over 777, the only differences are: 777 is cheaper and a LOT dirtier, BH209 is more money but clean enough to run 10 or more rounds through without cleaning. Cleaning the 777 after every shot got to me, it is very hard to push a slug through the "sugar/powder ring" made right above the powder in the barrel. You might push one through for a second shot but Brock Lesner could not push a third down the tube.
All in all I love blackpowder hunting although it is still limited in Alberta.

Dan :reading:

mathews z7
10-13-2011, 12:11 AM
okay i hope this is the last time lol but if i shoot 130 grain powder when i load does it mater if i put 2 50 grain then the 30 grain or should the 30 grain be in the middle of the two 50 grain also caan u mix the powder like tripple seven and pyrodex thanks for all the help

Pinhead
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
okay i hope this is the last time lol but if i shoot 130 grain powder when i load does it mater if i put 2 50 grain then the 30 grain or should the 30 grain be in the middle of the two 50 grain also caan u mix the powder like tripple seven and pyrodex thanks for all the help

You can put the 777 pellets in whatever order you want. DO NOT mix 777 and pyrodex. If you are going to use 130gr you might as well go all the way and shoot 150gr. Then you do not need to buy both sizes of pellets.

Good Luck,

Dan