PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Lake

Penner
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Has anyone been out to Spencer in the last little while. Is one able to travel into Seibert with a regular 4x4 pick-up. Wondering what the snow and ice conditions are like up there now. Any info would be great. :confused:

Walleyes
01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Seibert Lake is always make able,, just depends on what you are driving and how bad do you want to get in ??? I am sure the road will be plowed in to within at least a couple miles of the lake.. There is drilling and servicing going on in the area year round and as such it is serviced at least a couple times a year.. There may very well be a couple miles of trail breaking to do but with a decent 4x4 I can't see it being a problem.. I know if it was in the plans I would head there in the morning and fish for the day... If you do in counter a problem it would be on the lake.. I have not been home for three weeks now but when I left over flow was still a problem on our lakes and with the weather that has been going on I can't see it has changed much. If you plan to go I would suggest having all terrain transportation just to be on the safe side,, you will need it to get to Spence it will be nasty for a vehicle to say the least..

Give it a try you'll make it.. Tell you what when you do it can be worth it.. P.M. me we will go over some lake details..

Penner
01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Walleyes, but I'm looking for more than just a guess of what the conditions are actually like.

I was up in that neck of the woods back in December. I am 100% for certain if the road/trail going into Siebert was not ploughed or travelled on a regularly basis there is no way one could get in with a regular 4x4 pick-up. A sled would be the only means of transportation. There was like already 2ft of snow on the ground up there in December. There would be no breaking trail if the road had not been traveled on regularly after each snowfall.

A report on the conditions from Pinehurst, Seibert, or Touchwood would be useful. So if anyone has been up that way recently any info would be greatly appreciated.

SNAPFisher
01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey Penner!

I have never tried Seibert or Spencer ever in the winter, however, I was up at Cold Lake this past weekend. I was also at Cold in the holiday break. I can't say for 100% certainly but the vast majority of NB1 appears to be unchanged since the XMas break. Snow fall has been light since then. During the XMas break I fished Pinehurst near mud bay and watched about 7 trucks arrive from the Seibert/Pinehurst road. They were all 4x4s and none had any problems getting to that point. Not exact conditions but general conditions. Hopefully someone has more specific info for you.

P.S. Ice thickness has increased since XMas. It has been cold up there. Cold Lake average of 14 inches, Marie 15 inces and Garner about 15 as well.

Cheers!

sparky660
01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
A group of us went into Spencer on the 5th of January. We took snowmobiles and quads and was way to easy. Especially compared to the spring one we do. The road to Siebert was clear and with a 4wd the stretch between Siebert and Spencer should be a breeze. There were atleast 5 trucks on the ice that weekend. A 2wd truck with some good tires should get you to Siebert and a decent 4wd should get you right to Spencer as long as they didn't get much snow recently

Penner
01-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Alright Sparkey & Snap, thanks for the info. I may give it a go this weekend if the weather holds. I'll post the results if we do make it out there.

Hey Snap, did you try for some Cod?

SNAPFisher
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeppers, tried for some cod. Saw one real nice specimen while watching the whites from above. Of course all I had down then was a wire worm :mad3:
I only caught 1 for the day and only saw the 1 other. I can tell you though that I will return and will continue to explore that wonderful lake. One of the nicest looking lakes I have been to. Can't wait to see it in open water times.

Cheers!

sparky660
01-23-2008, 06:22 PM
I forgot to mention to watch for the flood water. I broke through with the qaud and had a bit of workout to get it back on solid ice. The fishing wasn't the greatest. We caught 2 pike and 1 walleye. In fact that is probably the worst day we ever had as Spencer.

sparky660
01-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Here is a pic of the days catch.http://www3.telus.net/public/bomel/Fishing/n505905460_2035471_8462.jpg