PDA

View Full Version : Lures?

bullgetter
01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
How often does everyone rescent their sets? When I had the marten sets out I was adding new lure once a week. Now in the Lynx cubbies I'm adding new lure evry week also. This is exspensive. Is it necessary to add new lure/Scent this often?

Young Eldon
01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
It likely depends on weather conditions and disturbances at the site (wind, rain and snow may reduce odors, animals licking or knawing at lure). We often leave the old lures out there for a couple weeks at a time before refreshing them.
:)

Brian Bildson
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I lure my sets everytime I check them, a minimum of once a week. However how much lure are you using? I run between 70 to 100 marten sets and I can get a 2-3 weeks out of one bottle of lure that costs me $7. For lynx it's hard to beat beaver castor and they're free or available at a cheap price. The way I look at it a marten or lynx will buy me all the lure I need for several seasons so why cheap out?

bullgetter
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I guess I may be too generous with the lures. I ran 30 martens sets earlier and it would take one full bottle to scent them all. I pick a small branch above my marten box and dip it in the bottle or just pour a bit on the bark.

Brian Bildson
01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Try a Q tip for your scent. I wrap it around a wire and hang it up high. When I rescent all I do is dip the end in my scent.