PDA

View Full Version : Friend to sell me 12 Gauge.

Heffty
10-09-2011, 10:14 AM
A friend of mine has offered to sell me his fathers Remington Model 1100 12 guage. I asked him if he had any registration for it and he said no. His father is still alive but he doesn't know where and doesn't speak to him. My friend has his PAL but no registration for the gun and he has been storing it at his house. I would like to buy the gun but don't want to until I'm sure I will be able to register the firearm so I can legally keep it at my house. There is a serial number on the gun and I would have no problem calling it in or doing whatever I have to do to register the gun. What are my options?

dcutter
10-09-2011, 10:20 AM
So...your friend wants to sell you something that isn't his? Something he is holding illegally (no matter what the change will be in the near future)?

Rem 1100's are all over the place, to be had at a fair price without all the potential baggage. My advice? Walk away.

Heffty
10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Well he claims his father gave it to him. I actually knew his father when we were younger and saw the gun in his fathers possession (closet) many times, so I have reason to believe his father was the owner prior to him getting it, but I suppose you can never be too sure about these things. I have no idea where his father got it though and I'm well aware of that. And...his father never registered it, and now he hasn't registered it. I suppose that still means he is holding it illegally as you say. So you're right, I should walk...but at $50 it's kinda hard to walk from. My friend isn't really into hunting or shooting, just got married and his wife doesn't want any guns in the house. I know her too and I know this to be true. So on one hand...to someone on the outside looking in this probably looks very shady...but to me, I know enough of these people to make a judgment here that the story of the gun is legit back to at least the 1980s when I saw the gun in the closet, and I'd like to have the gun if I can legally register it. I'm just not sure if that's possible, and if it's not, then I'll walk.

Lefty-Canuck
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Contact the Father....tell him you want to purchase HIS shotgun, maybe the Father doesn't even know where its at?

I would walk, unless the Father was ok because really it is his property....a deal too good to be true usually is that way for a reason.

One question which is a huge red flag....your friend has his PAL but has not registered the firearm to himself....there is an amnesty! Why hasn't he made a simple phone call???

LC

dadof5
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
The answering simple. Buddy registers gun, then sells/transfers to you. All at no cost, and without any problem (so long as his father doesn't come looking for it in the future!).

nof60
10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Why not just delay the deal till the registry is history

catnthehat
10-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Why not just delay the deal till the registry is history
I fear that ain't gonna happen any time soon!:scared:
Cat

hal53
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I fear that ain't gonna happen any time soon!:scared:
Cat
spring at the earliest by the time it gets thru 3 readings and the Senate...IMHO...if it gets that far....