PDA

View Full Version : Coal Lake

great white whaler
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
were is all the pike ? plus i only saw two pelicans ,,coal lake looks DEAD right now.

Lefty-Canuck
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Sadly that lake gets hammered hard....and there are lots of fish of ALL sizes being kept....being that it is close to the city, fishable from shore, and there is some keepers it gets fished alot. I honestly wish they would shut it down for a few years and have it C&R only.....the pike do well there and there is the potential of some real hogs coming out of there.

Most fish that people catch that meet the minimum size are removed and kept.

LC

FishingFrenzy
10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Sadly that lake gets hammered hard....and there are lots of fish of ALL sizes being kept....being that it is close to the city, fishable from shore, and there is some keepers it gets fished alot. I honestly wish they would shut it down for a few years and have it C&R only.....the pike do well there and there is the potential of some real hogs coming out of there.

Most fish that people catch that meet the minimum size are removed and kept.

LC

Agreed. Even if the limit was lowered. 3 over 63cm is pretty high... try 1 over 70 or even 1 over 80.

Plus I think it needs to be patrolled better by F&W, but as shortstaffed as they are, thats alot to ask.

But overall it needs to be C&R for a few years.

0liver
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
maybe not C&R tottaly but instead just a slot size and a limit of 1. 100cm+ sounds about right give the poor things a couple spawns before there gone. 3 people go fishing and they all get 3, thats 9 fish gone. 3 people go out and 3 fish are taken, that have spawned a couple times, sounds a little more manageable.

The remaining pike in that lake are getting ready for winter and are probably dug right into the slop waiting for ice. I wouldn't bother with them.

besides, pidgeons on fire right now :)

Rockymtnx
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
The guys who I were out hunting with this morning said that people have been just hammering the pike there the past week........ ?

SwampShark
10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I agree with a slot size.