PDA

View Full Version : Bore Sighted Rifle

BADBOY
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Can anybody tell me how for out a new rifle, out of the box should be when you go to sight it in .I would assume the rifle was bore sighted when bought.
Had scope mounted on it. If you would believe 12"out to the side and 8"down
at 50 yds.Dont think it was bore sighted to be out that far.Finally after a whole pile of shots and some 2 hrs later finally got dialled in close to where
it will be.Not done yet have to buy more ammo.
What do you think?:thinking-006:

densa44
10-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I had to pay extra for bore sighting when I got a scope mounted, so no I'm not surprised at all.

Big Daddy Badger
10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
To be honest...bore sighting can be as much an art as a skill.

Guys buy rifles and get them bore sighted but when that process takes all of 10 minutes...the results vary.

12 wide and 8 low sounds to be about the average sometimes.

At least they got you on paper...well...newspaper...lol

Loki610
10-10-2011, 12:28 PM
my new savage from wholesale was dead on where I thought it should be at 25 yards and 3" high at 100. Not bad!

Lefty-Canuck
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Never assume anything when buying a rifle....first rule :)

Even if I bore sight a rifle myself, I will (just because I can) take at least 1 shot @ 25 yards to see where I am at. Then move it accordingly and move back from there....

LC

aakoksal
10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Can anybody tell me how for out a new rifle, out of the box should be when you go to sight it in .I would assume the rifle was bore sighted when bought.
at 50 yds.Dont think it was bore sighted to be out that far.Finally after a whole pile of shots and some 2 hrs later finally got dialled in close to where

I do laser sighting to 100m before I fire the first round, and usually first shot end up somewhere within couple inches...

I don't expect bore sighting to be that accurate, but 14" out seems a bit too much at 50 yards...

I never purchased a rifle with scope installed. But f I did, I would to the laser sighting first before I shoot a round...

savage shooter
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
If you would believe 12"out to the side and 8"down
at 50 yds.Dont think it was bore sighted to be out that far.

That's quite normal. Bore sighting will very rarely put you much closer. It's designed to get you on paper at 25 yards so you can zero in. Nothing more.

elkhunter11
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Over the years, I have bore sighted well over 100 guns,likely closer to 200,using the same boresighter. After using my boresighter a few times, to see how the grid lines up I am now usually within a few inches at 100 yards with the first shot.

If you would believe 12"out to the side and 8"down

With a scope that tracks properly, as well as knowing the distance that the point of impact moves per increment, it shouldn't take more than seven to ten rounds at most to zero a scope and verify the zero with a follow up group. I generally fire one shot at 100 yards, adjust the scope, and fire a three shot group. Then I make another scope adjustment, and fire another group. At that point, I am usually good to go, but if I am still very slightly out, I make a final fine adjustment on the scope, and fire one last group. I find that the people that waste the most time and ammunition, are the ones that adjust the scope after each shot, and end up chasing the zero all over the target. Unless you and the gun are capable of placing every shot in the same hole, adjusting the scope after every shot is futile.

walking buffalo
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Start Here vvvv

Never assume anything when buying a rifle....first rule :)

LC

Then....

"Start out with a 25 yard target, and take three shots to get your grouping. You will want to start sighting it in to the center of this group. Now you can play around with the elevation and windage to get it hit where you are looking through the scope, and this does work. But first you need to know the adjustments, which may and do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. A method that I prefer is simpler and faster to use. This method is to use a good sturdy rest , one that can be used hands free, or a friend, and after your 3 shot group, look through the scope, place crosshairs on the bulls eye again, and now move crosshairs to the center of the 3 shot group. I have used this method with a one shot sight-in, and moved the crosshairs to meet the bullet hole. Bingo, your crosshairs are now where your bullet is hitting. But the 3 shot grouping is a better method. Now that you have it sighted in at 25 yards, move to the 100 yard target and repeat this procedure. "

BADBOY
10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Even my .50 cal. mul. ldr. had better groupings when I took it out for the 1st. time. I thought maybe it was just me,maybe a flinch or something.2nd shot I knew we had issues.Oh well got it pretty close to where it will be,will get it dialed in to a dime before its all said and done.:47b20s0:

Sushi
10-10-2011, 08:15 PM
my new rig was out 12 inches to the right and 1 inch low at 100 yards...I guess that isn't too bad for a boresight (mount and boresight done by WSS).

Big Daddy Badger
10-11-2011, 01:22 AM
my new rig was out 12 inches to the right and 1 inch low at 100 yards...I guess that isn't too bad for a boresight (mount and boresight done by WSS).

Well there you go.
Last time I let them do one of mine...the darn crosshairs(+) formed an X in the reticle....almost...lol
Glad it was free....

bullrambler
10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok here is a question when bore sighting. What magnification is the scope set at to start the bore sighting process...? And does the magnification stay on that power as the distance increases...?

marv243
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
i bore sight some 6 maybe more rifles a day, i find that most people never check the mounts and rings to see if there tight befor going out to the range , turn the power on the scope up when bore sighting it . good luck hunting i hope this will help.

Stewie
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
12 inches out at 50 I would say isn’t bad at all… on a few occasions I haven’t hit the target at 50 and moved to 25 yards until there was a hole through the paper… I usually fire my 1st shot at 25 yards and if it hits move back to 50, than to 100…

That being said I have had other guns that were very close and required only a few bullets to site in…

nick0danger
10-19-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't get the 3 shots thing. At 25 yards i shoot, a round, see where it lands adjust sights take another shoot, If its close i move to 50 yards, shoot adjust sights shoot again if its close move to 100 yards and dial it in, 2 or 3 inchs high and than shoot a couple groups. Usually i can zero a rifle with a dozen rounds and that includes 2 three shoot groups to ensure its zero.

HunterDave
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
With only taking one shot it may not give you a true idea of you Main Point Of Impact (MPI). If you pull that one shot and adjust based on where it hits the target you might be adjusting wrong. If you take 3 shots and adjust from the centre of where the 3 shoots hit it is more accurate.

I don't bother with the 25 yd and 50 yd unless I'm not hitting paper at 100 yds.

Twisted Canuck
10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
My experience with using my boresighter (a Bushnell Pro model) is very similar to elkhunter11. I've never had any more than 3-4 inches off at 50 yrds, and on a number of occasions had them as close as 1/2" at 50 yrds on first shot, and off by 1" or so at 100 on second shot. I mount my own scopes/rings/bases, and try to be very particular, and believe this is a large part of getting on paper on the first shot. The boresighter itself is fairly easy to use, its the time spent on mounting that is important. I've done a couple dozen now and never had anything but good results.

SkytopBrewster
10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
thats decent for a bore site, its just meant to get you on the paper for a starting point

jim-bo
10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
I always tell people to never trust a bore sight alone...

Rest your rifle on something sturdy, where it will be able to stay...

Take your bolt out, actually line up your bore with a target, preferably at anywhere from 10-25 yards.

Now look through the scope, and what do you see? Are you close?

If so, take a your first shot at 50 yards, if not, take 2 shots at 25 (one for confirmation, aim one 1" to the side of the bullseye as to see the second hole). Adjust, then 2 (same procedure) at 50.

And finally your move to 100 yards and not only are you one the paper... you should be pretty damn close.

Arn?Narn.
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
one shot on the paper, ... 2nd shot dialed in...3rd shot for verification..4th shot for confidence...5, 6, 7 for a group and 8 to put it 2 invhes high.

Why so many bullets???

If you hit paper, it should take one or two more to be on aim.

HunterDave
10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
one shot on the paper, ... 2nd shot dialed in...3rd shot for verification..4th shot for confidence...5, 6, 7 for a group and 8 to put it 2 invhes high.

Why so many bullets???

Around here we call the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots that you described, a 3 round grouping. Repeat as required. :)

Arn?Narn.
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
well i didn't want to sound sarcastic...lol

gitrdun
10-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Why so many bullets???

And there we have it.......the newfie sight in! Ought to be interesting.

Arn?Narn.
10-19-2011, 09:01 PM
i just dont get using boxes of bullets to sight in a rifle with factory ammunition,....guess thats just me.

HunterDave
10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
The way that I was taught (Army) was if your rifle was X" high and Z" left you should add extra clicks to the number of clicks that technically you would need to get X and Z on the zero and with your next grouping you should dial it back the required amount. This might sound like you'd need more ammo to get a zero but allot of times it could end up being less.

The problem that allot of guys make is trying to "sneak up" on the zero. They'll adjust as they think it is necessary, then a little more, then just tweak more, then..........well you know......."sneak up" on the zero. This method of sighting in a rifle can use up allot of ammo and is quite frustrating.

That being said, more experienced shooters have their own shortcuts that they use including one shot groups, etc which is great if you have the ability to know if your shot was good or not. I sighted my rifles in last Friday and I cheated a bit in order to conserve my ammo but I still over adjusted my scope and then brought it back to zero with the next shot and confirmed with a 3 round grouping. :)

INRI
10-19-2011, 09:46 PM
i bore sight some 6 maybe more rifles a day, i find that most people never check the mounts and rings to see if there tight befor going out to the range , turn the power on the scope up when bore sighting it . good luck hunting i hope this will help.

I made that mistake recently... I kept wondering why everything kept moving all over the place. <smacks head>

Henry