PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Line Need Advise

spuddd
10-10-2011, 05:31 PM
I have swithced between braid and flourocarbon lines for the last three seasons I can't seem to get the performance out of either. I am fishing for Walleye so 10 lb test and I've used seagar, bps xps, and berkley vanish flouro with tons of memory and twist issues. I've also run fireline and fireline crystal with similar issues. I'm using a pflugar supreme xt reel and need some help for next season. Thinking of trying power pro braid as I've heard its good but don't want another season of tangles. Need help!

Tezma
10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I have swithced between braid and flourocarbon lines for the last three seasons I can't seem to get the performance out of either. I am fishing for Walleye so 10 lb test and I've used seagar, bps xps, and berkley vanish flouro with tons of memory and twist issues. I've also run fireline and fireline crystal with similar issues. I'm using a pflugar supreme xt reel and need some help for next season. Thinking of trying power pro braid as I've heard its good but don't want another season of tangles. Need help!

I am using braided line, It cast nice, feels nice and doesn't tangle,
Berkly braided 8 lb.

I catch pike and eyes on it. I play the fish with drag.

Maybe Its how you have it spooled on there, Make sure its tight when you first spool it on there, I stay away from MONO line because that tangles. I only use mono line if I am using a jig setup. Braid main line to mono jig setup.

By the way, Welcome to the forums.

Crossfire
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Fireline in my experience is the worst braid and i have used around 10 different kinds my personal favorite is powerpro and sufix 832

Speckle55
10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I have used Berkley Trilene Xt low vis Green in 8 lb to 12 lb and have set 4 WR line Classes for 3 differn,t species in Alberta .. the species were Pike ice fishing #32.5oz(Lasted 21yrs broken)/ Brook Trout 12#13oz 8#line class still today and Rocky Mountain Whitefish only 3#5 lasted 18 months got paid 2G from Berkley promotions:sHa_shakeshout:. don,t have much tangles issues

Food for Thought
David

Tezma
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I have used Berkley Trilene Xt low vis Green in 8 lb to 12 lb and have set 4 WR line Classes for 3 differn,t species in Alberta .. the species were Pike ice fishing #32.5oz(Lasted 21yrs broken)/ Brook Trout 12#13oz 8#line class still today and Rocky Mountain Whitefish only 3#5 lasted 18 months got paid 2G from Berkley promotions:sHa_shakeshout:. don,t have much tangles issues

Food for Thought
David

X2 I agree

Wes_G
10-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Line twists for a number of reasons, none of which are generally the lines fault. I have never had a problem with line twist that I know wasn't caused by something I did or have see people do. Such as cranking on the reel handle while drag is going out. Line comes naturally straight. So somewhere over the course of a fishing day you are twisting it.

BeeGuy
10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I've used and am using some of those lines.

I very rarely have twist issues.

Check all the moving parts on your reel to make sure nothing is seized.

If in doubt, use a swivel, or 2, and not the cheapest ones.

\cheers

sureshot
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Power pro is the way to go. thats all I use even for my stugeon fishing.

Andy

Dust1n
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
power pro or PLINE

Pline is awesome and will not fail you.

mooseknuckle
10-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I use power pro on my pflueger, best set up I've ever had.

Kim473
10-11-2011, 05:33 AM
I've used and am using some of those lines.

I very rarely have twist issues.

Check all the moving parts on your reel to make sure nothing is seized.

If in doubt, use a swivel, or 2, and not the cheapest ones.

\cheers

Swivels also here. Go to 8lb or even 6lb line you will get more bites. May lose a few hooks but its worth getting twice the bites. Tie on a swivel then attach another to about 3 feet of line and then your hook. Get the good swivels too. With this combo you can add a bottom bouncer 3 feet from your hook and get down to the bottom where the eyes are. I have caught many large walleye on 6lb line with no problem with the drag set properly. A few pike also and no leader. If your getting lots of pike throw a leader on tho. Another thing is after you get a fish on don't just keep realing him in if it dosnt want to come and the drag is working, if you just keep realing and drag is slipping then you are the one creating the line twist. slowly real and let the fish tire a little then get him coming up wth little to no drag slipping.

voidspace
10-11-2011, 05:34 AM
I use power pro on my pflueger, best set up I've ever had.

X2

Eddy62
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
i like to use power pro with a 6 foot leader off berkley flourocarbon line when i fish and have no problems with twisted line. and great hook ups. If i am using mono i just use berkley xt 8 lb or 10 all depends what your fishing for in line strength..overall good line.

on my ultra lite i use berkley 4 lb smooth cast and it works great for casting and strength with no twist unless i cause the problem myself

what the other anglers said about swivels is so true 98 cent packs to 5 dollar packs is for a reason,do not cheap out on swivels as it will kill your line..you will spend more time fixing your line than fishing,,,,,,

good luck next trip out with line issues

Geezle
10-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, I think everybody else has it pretty well covered, but I'll toss in my two bits anyway.

First of all, although some on the forum seem to like it, I've found that at least for me, Vanish is garbage. Huge memory issues with this stuff.

I've got Fireline on a couple of my reels, and it's okay stuff, but it's far from the best. I'll typically load it up on reels that I don't use as often, or lend out to others to save a few bucks. Fireline Crystal seems to handle a little better.

I've never used the Seaguar or BPS stuff so I can't really speak for either of those.

If you think it's your line that's the issue give PowerPro or Sufix 832 a shot (or Fireline Crystal if you've gotta).

That's a nice reel you've got, so unless there's something severely wrong that shouldn't be the issue. Like the others said, don't reel against the drag while line is being taken out.

And the swivel thing is very important as well. Some lures are prone to spinning pretty bad and can twist up your line in a hurry. When I'm going after pike I'll typically have a snap swivel on my main line, then a leader with a swivel on the top, and then another snap swivel at the bottom, and I've got some hooks that will STILL twist the line up.

If your line is twisted and you've got access to a boat, you can let the line out behind the boat with a small weight on it and go for a drive...the line will unspin itself :)

Eddy62
10-11-2011, 09:26 PM
power pro or PLINE

Pline is awesome and will not fail you.i bought some p line at bps that is in my box i think i will try that out after work tomorrow

Dust1n
10-11-2011, 09:44 PM
i bought some p line at bps that is in my box i think i will try that out after work tomorrow

hands down my favorite line. its strong and small diameter and its just plain awesome. a guy that fishes walleye tournaments sold me on it when he told me everything about it and started to show me how thin it was,the lb test on it but it was stronger, and hes won tons of tourneys using it.

ak-71
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I use powerpro with at least double the lbs rating compared to mono I would use - it's still smaller diameter and I fill safer this way. I usually use a mono or fluoro leader anyway.
I like powerpro and don't have much issues with it, but I used "Spiderwire Stealth" some time ago and I think it was much more user freandlyer line - no digs, no tangles, casts well - I think it's a coated line. Some people hate it, but it worked for me ok

TheKi
10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
did you try spider wire? or try soaking your mono in hot water for about ten minutes, it will take out all the spring and

Tezma
10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
did you try spider wire? or try soaking your mono in hot water for about ten minutes, it will take out all the spring and

AND?........................... lol:budo:

TheKi
10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
o my bad......and gets rid of any memory, good for old and new line

spuddd
10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
The reel is brand new, and I know the not reeling while drag is going out trick. I let the bass pro guy spool the line so maybe that was the issue from the start this time. I always use a swivel but if it was spooled wrong from the get go it wouldn't make a difference. Going to go with power pro for next season and I hope it works better, thanks for the help.

RisingRainbows
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Another thing to consider when spooling a spinning reel is to set the spool down face up and reel in the line that way. You only want to have the spool spin if you are spooling a baitcasting or fly reel, both of which hold the line parallel to the rod as opposed to a spinning or spincast reel that holds the line perpendicular to the rod.

As well, I have had terrible luck with fluorocarbon lines. My go to spinning line is always a mono, Trilene XL Smooth Casting.

Eddy62
10-19-2011, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Speckle55;1111766]I have used Berkley Trilene Xt low vis Green in 8 lb to 12 lb and have set 4 WR line Classes for 3 differn,t species in Alberta .. the species were Pike ice fishing #32.5oz(Lasted 21yrs broken)/ Brook Trout 12#13oz 8#line class still today and Rocky Mountain Whitefish only 3#5 lasted 18 months got paid 2G from Berkley promotions:sHa_shakeshout:. don,t have much tangles issues

Food for Thought
David[/QUOTe