View Full Version : gun control

Jimboy
10-11-2011, 01:24 AM
qr77 talking gun control in America right now

sanjuanworm
10-11-2011, 07:15 AM
How about right here in Calgary.

Here's a real dufus.

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/homes-struck-by-gunfire-in-cranston-217158.aspx

Sundancefisher
10-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Wow...that is crazy.

So what do people think? Should this guy have the book thrown at him? How serious do fellow hunters take this indiscretion? Should he lose his hunting license for 1, 2, 5, 10 years? Cleaning a loaded high power rifle in a house...could of been very tragic.

slough shark
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
gun control tries to legislate stupid, this fellow likely already had his license, stupidity with a firearm like this should at least result in a 5 year ban and rigerous training before he can obtain his license again. Wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if he never owned guns again, remember this type of fellow that is likely the same sort of folk who are "scoping" people in the field, sloppy gun safety usually crosses a number of bounderies and he likely isn't the safest in the field.

bpk1982
10-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Here's a real dufus.

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/homes-struck-by-gunfire-in-cranston-217158.aspx

wow.....

Jamie
10-11-2011, 09:02 AM
It's my buddys house who was shot. I am interested to hear what he says when we chat today.

Jamie

xtreme hunter10
10-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Here's a real dufus.

My question is how do you " accidently" discharge a firearm? I slipped walking, a bullet from my pocket leaped into the open action, when the gun hit the ground, the action closed while reaching for the falling gun my finger depressed the trigger?
i mean come on... there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. you put the bullet in the chamber, you closed the action, you pulled the trigger..... it wasnt an "accident" it was sheer stupidity and nothing more.
instead of gun control they should be talking about breeding control and see that these types of people dont procreate.

Straightgun
10-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Wow...that is crazy.

So what do people think? Should this guy have the book thrown at him? How serious do fellow hunters take this indiscretion? Should he lose his hunting license for 1, 2, 5, 10 years? Cleaning a loaded high power rifle in a house...could of been very tragic.

Take his pal and guns away.

densa44
10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
X2 we don't need people like this as gun owners. I don't believe for a minute that he was "cleaning" the gun and it went off! How did a loaded gun get in the house in the first place?

Life time ban would be about right.

Redfrog
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
WOW! Can you say knee jerk??????

With the limited information available, it looks like his rifle accidentally fired. You can play semantics if you like and say it wasn't an 'accident' but stupidity or carelessness or whatever, but at this time I don't see any intention to shoot.

Perspective is a funny thing. It changes a story.

So one poster wants to know "Should he lose his hunting license for 1, 2, 5, 10 years? "

Another states "stupidity with a firearm like this should at least result in a 5 year ban and rigerous training before he can obtain his license again. Wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if he never owned guns again, remember this type of fellow that is likely the same sort of folk who are "scoping" people in the field, sloppy gun safety usually crosses a number of bounderies and he likely isn't the safest in the field. "

Anyone hear how many auto accidents thee were in Calgary yesterday, Edmonton, Canada? Any deaths? Injuries?

Most drivers drive daily. I've never heard of a driver who did not injure anyone but simply damaged property get their license suspended for 1 to 5 years.
Drunks who kill people after several DUI charges get a suspended sentence.

I think the guy did something stupid and I realize because it is a firearm incident, it is more important to us, but let's have some perspective.

Don't bother posting, 'what ifs' as in your kids and wife etc.
Even LEO and Military have accidental discharges.

Okotokian
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey, at least they called it a "hunting rifle" and not a "sniper rifle". LOL Though really, the person filing the report was guessing at the purpose of the weapon. It's a "rifle", pure and simple.

Sundancefisher
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM

With the limited information available, it looks like his rifle accidentally fired. You can play semantics if you like and say it wasn't an 'accident' but stupidity or carelessness or whatever, but at this time I don't see any intention to shoot.

So one poster wants to know "Should he lose his hunting license for 1, 2, 5, 10 years? "

Another states "stupidity with a firearm like this should at least result in a 5 year ban and rigerous training before he can obtain his license again. Wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if he never owned guns again, remember this type of fellow that is likely the same sort of folk who are "scoping" people in the field, sloppy gun safety usually crosses a number of bounderies and he likely isn't the safest in the field. "

Anyone hear how many auto accidents thee were in Calgary yesterday, Edmonton, Canada? Any deaths? Injuries?

Most drivers drive daily. I've never heard of a driver who did not injure anyone but simply damaged property get their license suspended for 1 to 5 years.

I think the guy did something stupid and I realize because it is a firearm incident, it is more important to us, but let's have some perspective.

Thanks. That is a good post. It is good to have both sides of the equation...at least since as you mentioned...we don't have all the facts. So more to the point...how serious do you feel it is to just have a rifle with a loaded round in the chamber and then having it accidentally discharge. I agree that no wheres should we assume that this was an intentional firing of the rifle. I think so far...everyone does realize and accept it as an accident. But should this sort of accident be considered extremely serious, moderately serious, or not at all serious?

What is the fine for being caught with a loaded rifle in the truck on the way home...during a F&W checkstop. On a US TV show they were handing out nasty tickets to guys that had bullets loaded in the rifle. I can only assume the fine is significant. Anyone know what the fine is?

Jager
10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
No such thing as an "accidental discharge" they are really called negligent discharges due to the operator being negligent. How hard is it to do a quick chamber check? And if he was cleaning his firearm why was his action closed? Pretty hard to get a cleaning rod down a barrel with a closed action!

Stuff like this makes all of us look bad.

6tmile
10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Maybe it was a Remington model 700:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_shakes hout:

bezner
10-11-2011, 10:19 AM
how was he cleaning his gun when their is a bullet in the chamber...you would think the cleaning rod would give it away......

TomE
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks. That is a good post. It is good to have both sides of the equation...at least since as you mentioned...we don't have all the facts. So more to the point...how serious do you feel it is to just have a rifle with a loaded round in the chamber and then having it accidentally discharge. I agree that no wheres should we assume that this was an intentional firing of the rifle. I think so far...everyone does realize and accept it as an accident. But should this sort of accident be considered extremely serious, moderately serious, or not at all serious?

What is the fine for being caught with a loaded rifle in the truck on the way home...during a F&W checkstop. On a US TV show they were handing out nasty tickets to guys that had bullets loaded in the rifle. I can only assume the fine is significant. Anyone know what the fine is?

I was with a Hunting Partner and we had just came back to our truck..He opened his door and laid his Rifle on the floor of the truck against the front seat..It wasn't loaded but had the Clip in it which he forgot to take out..Just as he was pulling off his coat a F&W pulled up..Busted! Happened in about 1 Min..It was a total mistake but the Fine was still $115 bucks..First offence..I was still walking to the Truck when the Officer pulled up..My Buddy was Gracious in accepting the Fact he buggered up and had no problem admitting his mistake..(It was wet out and he opened his door and laid the Gun inside)

elkhunter11
10-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I was with a Hunting Partner and we had just came back to our truck..He opened his door and laid his Rifle on the floor of the truck against the front seat..It wasn't loaded but had the Clip in it which he forgot to take out..Just as he was pulling off his coat a F&W pulled up..Busted! Happened in about 1 Min..It was a total mistake but the Fine was still $115 bucks..First offence..I was still walking to the Truck when the Officer pulled up..My Buddy was Gracious in accepting the Fact he buggered up and had no problem admitting his mistake..(It was wet out and he opened his door and laid the Gun inside)

If there were live rounds in the magazine, the gun was loaded.

sillyak
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
No such thing as an "accidental discharge" they are really called negligent discharges due to the operator being negligent. How hard is it to do a quick chamber check? And if he was cleaning his firearm why was his action closed? Pretty hard to get a cleaning rod down a barrel with a closed action!

I've had an accidental discharge. SVT 40 that had a slamfire despite being properly maintained. No fault of mine it's just a military firearm designed for harder primers than often commercially avaliable. That's why you keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction. This happened in the field, I would not load a firearm in my house.

I agree with the people who want a ban on this guy. You don't need to know any additional facts, he was obviously unsafe with the firearm. 1) by having a loaded firearm where it was unsafe to have it. 2) By pointing it in an unsafe direction (if for some reason you had a loaded firearm the only safe place to have it pointed would be at the cement floor in the basement.)

I always check my firearms safe before I put them in the safe even though I know there is nothing in them, I point them at the floor when I do this so I know that if on the off chance they fire they won't go through my house and into another.

Big Daddy Badger
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
We'll probably never know what really happened...maybe he was farting around...maybe he didn't clear it right....maybe he was seeing if a new reload chambered correctly...and had a trigger malfunction...who knows?

At the end of the day...if it is your rifle and in your hands...you're responsible and fault doesn't even matter that much anymore.

It will be interesting to see what Jaime has to say after he talks to his pal but the only thing that really matters now is...everyone is OK and everyone...including the shooter just went through a life changing event.

elkhunter11
10-11-2011, 02:13 PM
If you are foolish enough to have a loaded rifle go off in your house, in a big city, you shouldn't be trusted to be in control of firearms. I would be in favor of at least a five year firearms prohibition, as well as a mandatory firearms safety course before he was allowed to possess firearms again.

Okotokian
10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
If you are foolish enough to have a loaded rifle go off in your house, in a big city, you shouldn't be trusted to be in control of firearms. I would be in favor of at least a five year firearms prohibition, as well as a mandatory firearms safety course before he was allowed to possess firearms again.

Man, we don't penalize drunk drivers that much. LOL

sanjuanworm
10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Man, we don't penalize drunk drivers that much. LOL

We should.

Okotokian
10-11-2011, 03:40 PM
We should.
agreed

slough shark
10-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Red Frog typically I agree with you but this person had to many safety violations to just right it off as a simple mistake. I can understand making one safety mistake but let's take a look. 1. loaded gun in the house in the city 2. failing to check the chamber/breech to see if gun is unloaded. 3. failing to point the rifle in a safe direction. Too many mistakes in my mind he needs re education if he wants guns back

xtreme hunter10
10-12-2011, 12:37 AM

Firs clue you are a moron... ( you refered as the guy in the article) your firearm goes off cleaning it. how do u clean a firearm with the action open? Second clue your a moron.... you leave a loaded firearm in storage......lol how do u trigger lock a firearm thats loaded? lol 3rd clue...moron... This idiot. should not be allowed to use steak knives. he should lose all of his firearms for atleast 5 years and have to undergo serious firearms training just to even be in the same room as one, i personally wouldnt feel safe with this idiot EVER owning a firearm or even be able to use one for the rest of his life.