PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MKII / Hawkeye ?

nemo
10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I have an older Laminate / stainless Compact that is labelled MKII. From what I can tell they don't make a MKII Compact anymore, they have it in the Hawkeye Model. Does anyone know the difference between the two actions? Or the history of the change?:thinking-006:

rembo
10-12-2011, 06:07 AM
slight change in the trigger but it functions the same.
The action is otherwise indentical.
The stainless Mark II's have a nicer finish on the metal.
There is some minor difference in the shape of the stock also. You'd have to have one of each side by side to see and feel it.
I have a NIB stainless/laminated Mark II in 7 Mag that I'm selling.

.30cal
10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I own both, & like them both. The hawkeye has a new "improved" trigger, but I did'nt have any problem with the old one. Hawkeye has a different looking stock (synthetic one's anyway). My origional M77 is starting to show some discoloration on the stock here & there, but it's one of the first years production, and seen some hard use. The stainless on the Hawkeye has a much duller finish. The barell on the Hawkeye is not tapered at all, which makes it look more like a blunt instrument to my eye, but probably performs better. I own mostly Rugers in my collection & have never had any issues with any of them.

nemo
10-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks Guys, I really like it as well. Someone had told me that there was a difference in the bolt?? (which I would never know anyway) I was consirdering selling it but it handles so nicely for a smaller person, even my 80lbs boys love it!! Someone recently showed me a a web site thats selling the Hawkeye version for 753.00. I was trying to fugure out if there was a manufacturing diference to make up what I paid for mine. I know the US dollar was stronger 3.5 years ago but 125.oo more?? Shopping WSS is maybe the reason although at the time, it was almost 900. at Canadian Tire!!

.30cal
10-12-2011, 11:11 PM
If I recall, Ruger made a minor modification to the bolt face on the MK II, after about the second year of production, to make it a true CRF (controlled round feed). Similar to the pre 64 Winchester model 70's. Probably most shooters would never notice any difference in practice, but it was the major complaint against the re-designed Winchesters back in the day.

Cal
10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I've been hunting with a stainless laminate MKII in .270 pretty much exclusively for years. Not the most acurate gun I've had and a little heavyer than some like it but its built to take a beating and has a rock solid feel to it that inspires confidence. Very minor differences between the MKII and the Hawkeye.

rembo
10-14-2011, 07:47 PM
If I recall, Ruger made a minor modification to the bolt face on the MK II, after about the second year of production, to make it a true CRF (controlled round feed). Similar to the pre 64 Winchester model 70's. Probably most shooters would never notice any difference in practice, but it was the major complaint against the re-designed Winchesters back in the day.

yes, this is true. Early Mark II's had a lip on the lower part of the bolt face like the tang safety Rugers. After a year or two they milled it flat to make it a true controlled feed rifle. The Hawkeye is the same.

I milled an early Mark II in 223 into a controlled feed a few years ago.