PDA

View Full Version : Richards Microfit Gunstocks???

sns2
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi there. This summer I ordered a Boyd's laminate stock for one of my rifles. It was at my front door in six days and fit great for less than $140 total. A buddy of mine wanted a new gun, and so we began discussing what direction to go. I suggested he get a Savage 111, pitch the stock, and order a nice thumbhole laminate stock from Boyd's. He bought the Savage on the weekend and told me to order his stock. I started looking on Boyd's website, and to make a long story short, they make a stock for his Savage, but it won't accommodate his detachable magazine. Big drag.

I have now started looking at Richard's stocks. They are a little more money, and take longer to get here, and are not finished. Can you tell me your experiences in dealing with this company? How long was delivery? How much inletting was required? How hard was it to finish the stock?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

gitrdun
10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Rumour has it from a reliable source that Boyds will soon have a stock for the detachable mags. You should call them and confirm as I feel that it may be worth the wait.

sns2
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Rumour has it from a reliable source that Boyds will soon have a stock for the detachable mags. You should call them and confirm as I feel that it may be worth the wait.

I have already e-mailed, but will call too. Who'd you hear that from?

Dean2
10-12-2011, 04:31 AM
As to your question on Richards, for a non-special order about 6 months wait. The stocks don't require a lot of inletting if you get the 99% inletted version, but they do require a lot of shaping and finnishing. Their stocks are intentionally left oversize so you can shape grip, comb, forearm etc to fit the individual shooter.

If I was ordering a walnut stock I would put up with the wait time and work needed and order from Richards. If I was getting a laminate, and it didn't need to be a true left hand, Boyd's is a way better choice in terms of finished, well inlet and WAY faster.

tchardy1972
10-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Shipping takes a long time and the stocks come pretty rough. I have 2 and they finish up really nice.

gitrdun
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I have already e-mailed, but will call too. Who'd you hear that from?

I was informed by another forum member and friend who's ordered several from Boyds.