PDA

View Full Version : Fall Pike fishing at wabamun?

sheepstalker
10-11-2011, 11:00 PM
What depths have you been fishing? are you trolling slower or faster?? what lures have been working well?

mooseknuckle
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Len Thompson spoons. 3-6 FOW is where I've been catching them.

EZM
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Trophy Pike Hunter and I have been out there a few times over the last week or two and we are finding them in shallow water 5-7 feet (on the formerly unfishable weedy flats above the drops) and some in the typical 10-14 feet range. Seem to be a bit more aggresive and taking the hook deeper in the shallows. The deeper ones have been larger but the slower speeds produced a bit better out there at that depth.

Structure (to find the fish) along with water temp (for the speed of the presentation) is the key in my opinion. Wab was down to 53 degrees the other day and they are certainly a little harder to entice when they have to chase thier food.

Seemed to us - Big ones are sitting on the bottom - so I was using a plug that dives 10'-15' in 8-12 feet to make sure I was "bumping the mud" and found a few really nice snot monsters. The smaller ones seemed to be suspending for whatever reason. Slowed down the presentation a bit.

EZM
10-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Trophy Pike Hunter and I have been out there a few times over the last week or two and we are finding them in shallow water 5-7 feet (on the formerly unfishable weedy flats above the drops) and some in the typical 10-14 feet range. Seem to be a bit more aggresive and taking the hook deeper in the shallows. The deeper ones have been larger but the slower speeds produced a bit better out there at that depth.

Structure (to find the fish) along with water temp (for the speed of the presentation) is the key in my opinion. Wab was down to 53 degrees the other day and they are certainly a little harder to entice when they have to chase thier food.

Seemed to us - Big ones are sitting on the bottom - so I was using a plug that dives 10'-15' in 8-12 feet to make sure I was "bumping the mud" and found a few really nice snot monsters. The smaller ones seemed to be suspending for whatever reason. Slowed down the presentation a bit.

Oh yeah ...... trolling at 2 mph seem to be pretty good - the higher speeds closer to 3mph were less productive. Slower than 2mph also was not great as the plug and or lure stoped "working or vibrating properly". I'd say go as slow as your presentation will let you.

Neil Waugh
10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Keep in mind there's a fall hook size reg that came into force Oct. 1.
Designed to stop yahoos from snagging whites off the causeway.
Check page 15 of Robbie's booklet.