PDA

View Full Version : How is the fishin in Sylvan right now?

jkind
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
If the weather holds out this weekend I am thinking of hitting Sylvan Lake.

Are the walleye still biting by the marina? Whitefish biting?

I usually don't fish this time of year but want to take my new kayak one last time before the snow.

I am not too fussy about what I catch as I will release everything except maybe a whitefish(Mom has been bugging me for years for some whitefish).

Any input would be appreciated.

Jim

Tezma
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
find the white fish, If bait is aloud Use a fly and maggot. 12 inchs from the bottom

Dust1n
10-13-2011, 07:38 PM
the whites are slowing down alot and the fishn is still good at marina bay for walleye.
the whites are becoming less aggresive so a simple cronimid in orange was working on a indacator in ~12FOW
the best bite is around 2PM
sandy bottoms are still producing

Dust1n
10-13-2011, 07:43 PM
if you can find the bays with the darker sand thats going to get you into some good fishn(hint hint)

jkind
10-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys...I think I will take my spinning and fly gear tomorrow and give it a go.

Haven't targeted pike/perch/walleye/whitefish in open water for quite a few years, been flyfishing for trout and goldeye for the last couple decades.

New Kayak needs to get wet one more time before I hang her up for the winter.

Jim

Dust1n
10-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys...I think I will take my spinning and fly gear tomorrow and give it a go.

Haven't targeted pike/perch/walleye/whitefish in open water for quite a few years, been flyfishing for trout and goldeye for the last couple decades.

New Kayak needs to get wet one more time before I hang her up for the winter.

Jim

no point to even try for perch. if you get one your very luckly...the fishn isnt as good on the east side but its more for bigger pike and bigger walleye.(quality not numbers) the north side of the lake is also good. the south west side gets pounded hard but its still good for walleye

Tezma
10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
never fished there

Kokanee9
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
no point to even try for perch. if you get one your very luckly...the fishn isnt as good on the east side but its more for bigger pike and bigger walleye.(quality not numbers) the north side of the lake is also good. the south west side gets pounded hard but its still good for walleye

Your not kidding about the southwest side. I was there with my daughter and couldn't believe the boats. It was almost like walmart parking lot. I stayed about 20 min and picked up and went to a more quiet area and landed walleye similar to pcr in numbers. We lost count after about an hour and a half.

BeeGuy
10-14-2011, 11:21 PM
For the cowtown folks: How long is the drive up to Sylvan?

...2hrs?

Dust1n
10-14-2011, 11:29 PM
For the cowtown folks: How long is the drive up to Sylvan?

...2hrs?

About...2hours just make sure you dont go up on a hot day the beach is crowded

Kokanee9
10-14-2011, 11:40 PM
From lots of experience, Blackfoot trail and Deerfoot intersection to Red Deer is 1h25min doing the speed limit. Red deer (69 or 67? St.) to Sylvan is (guessing) 20min.

FH7 could nail the time down from RD to Sylvan to the second I would think. He is more experienced on that part than I am.

Dust1n
10-14-2011, 11:56 PM
From lots of experience, Blackfoot trail and Deerfoot intersection to Red Deer is 1h25min doing the speed limit. Red deer (69 or 67? St.) to Sylvan is (guessing) 20min.

FH7 could nail the time down from RD to Sylvan to the second I would think. He is more experienced on that part than I am.

with the new speedbumps and construction and the tourists at the beach its mess to get anywhere in the summer.

Kokanee9
10-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Banned??????

Tezma
10-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned??????

Hey posted a thing in fishing jokes... With a C word in the comic style joke..

I warned him to take it down... Didnt listen to me.

Lefty-Canuck
10-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Hey posted a thing in fishing jokes... With a C word in the comic style joke..

I warned him to take it down... Didnt listen to me.

OUCH....worst thing is he probably spelled it wrong too (poor attempt at humour)....thats a shame seemed like a decent kid.

LC

Tezma
10-15-2011, 09:58 AM
ouch....worst thing is he probably spelled it wrong too (poor attempt at humour)....thats a shame seemed like a decent kid.

Lc

x100

Gust
10-15-2011, 01:30 PM
OUCH....worst thing is he probably spelled it wrong too (poor attempt at humour)....thats a shame seemed like a decent kid.

LC

sorry for the derail,,, but a suspension was all that was needed, not a banned, he's quite active on giving great tips on here and reading water type and such. He actually sold his playstation or XBox for fishing stuff. Time for a Poll.

To the OP,,, look for whitefish surfacing then cast out a stick bobber with bait 18 inches below and tip a copper wire hook with the snipped off end of a smelt or maggot. I don't fish Sylan and don't know about bait regs for there but that's whats working for us down this end of the Province.