PDA

View Full Version : barbless hooks

Piker
01-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I finally found where you can get barbless hooks of most popular sizes including baitholders and trebles. The prices are not too bad about .50c a hook after shipping. I ordered a bunch will post results on shipping and time when they arrive. Same outfit where I got my ice tent. The only problem there was a 18 day hangup in canada customs.

Piker
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry I forgot to put in the address. Its redrockstore.com. Its in Minnesota

chuck0039
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Last spring when i stocked up on jig heads i noticed that the fishing center on 82 st was starting to get a variety of barbless jig heads on there shelves. don't know about any of there other hooks.

Mish
01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I posted in the other thread about Wal-Mart at Westbrook in Calgary. They're selling packages of barbless hooks. 10 for $1.50. I'm assuming most Wal-Marts are selling them now.

I've been using them on perch....I don't have a lot of experience ice fishing perch but I do seem to lose a lot of them....more than I've ever lost any other fish. Only been a couple times so I'm not sure if it's because of the hook or my technique.

Piker
01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I have always used barbless hooks due to years ago we caught a lot more pike than we could eat so releasing them became a priorty. The way they were talking about the c.o. checking made me look fot barbless. I ordered enough to replace all the hooks I use. No sense taking a chance I just would hate to lose my fishing privelidges for a year.

Copidosoma
01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
OK, I'm way out of the loop on things (been a few years since I've fished) so what is the deal? Why go buy special barbless hooks? What is wrong with bending/breaking the barbs with pliers?

Can someone tell me before I go get caught doing something that gets me in trouble?

Copidosoma
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
never mind...

I managed to put in the gargantuan effort of searching for it.;)

Thanks anyways.