PDA

View Full Version : To the Barnes Fans

Lefty-Canuck
10-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Guys,

Planning on giving the 6mm 85 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet a try in my .240 Weatherby (not the tipped one). Had some bad luck with the E-Tip Guilded metal bullets as far as excessive pressures due to bullet seating depth (too long).

I have received some load data from Ty @ Barnes for the .240WBY and I was curious if you have experienced better accuracy with a jump to the lands (0.050-0.100) or by seating them closer? (0.010-0.020). Also did you experience excessive pressure with these bullets at all? I notice the charges for the TSX are a bit lower than for the other Barnes solids as well.

Any guidance appreciated.

LC

elkhunter11
10-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Barnes recommends starting with a .050" jump to the lands, and that has worked well in my rifles. I am seating the TSX/TTSX .050" to .070" off of the lands in all of my rifles. The monometal bullets tend to produce more pressure with a given charge of powder, but they will deliver similar velocities as cup and core bullets, with similar pressures, if you use a slightly reduced powder charge.

Lefty-Canuck
10-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Great! Thanks Elkhunter11.....I was hoping you would reply as I know you have alot of experience with these.

LC

steeleyes
10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
What about the 80 Grain Barnes TTSX? Have you considered trying them? I know I'm going to be working up a load for my .243.

Lefty-Canuck
10-13-2011, 08:54 PM
What about the 80 Grain Barnes TTSX? Have you considered trying them? I know I'm going to be working up a load for my .243.

If the 85's don't shoot well I will be trying some 80's for sure, 85's are just slightly better in the BC dept...although its a very small edge. I really want to get my hands on some 90gr Nosler Accu-bonds but I can't find them anywhere. I have really good luck with 90gr Ballistic Tips for accuracy but a bit worried about using them on game. I tried the 90gr E-Tips but I didn't like them. I have a feeling the 6mm 90gr Accu-bond are not released yet as I called Sinclair to see if they had any and they don't....if anyone here has some they are willing to sell please PM me.

LC

TangoKilo
10-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I shot the 85Gr Tsx in my 243 for several years. What an outstanding bullet!!

The advise that Barnes gives is spot on, it seems that for some reason the TSX bullets really like to jump!!

7mm08
10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I shoot the 100gr TTSX in my .257Roberts, and in my 7mm-08. They both seem to like about .050 off the lands and only about 1.2-1.4 grains of powder above minimum load. No pressure signs, and my chronograph tells me the manual lies about expected velocity. I was about ...on average, 170 fps faster than the published...but thats with the grain of salt that all barrels are not equal.

t.bone
10-14-2011, 08:19 PM
hey lefty,have you checked with both wholesale sports in edmonton.p&d in edmonton has a selection of smaller caliber's that wholesale might not have.wholesale has a god selection of accubonds.i was told i could not get 200 gr accubonds for my 338 win mag and i found lots at wholesale sports.i am willing to check for you and let you know what they have as i live in edmonton myself and can check for you.

Lefty-Canuck
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
hey lefty,have you checked with both wholesale sports in edmonton.p&d in edmonton has a selection of smaller caliber's that wholesale might not have.wholesale has a god selection of accubonds.i was told i could not get 200 gr accubonds for my 338 win mag and i found lots at wholesale sports.i am willing to check for you and let you know what they have as i live in edmonton myself and can check for you.

Thanks for the offer! I was actually at both stores in the past 2 days and no luck with the 6mm 90gr Accu-bonds....they are brand new so I think they just need to make their way up here.

Again thanks for the offer to look for them.

LC

t.bone
10-14-2011, 08:28 PM
no problem:)

Traps
10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Did you put more powder than the midload when loading the etips? If so there is a piece of paper that comes with every etip box that says don't exceed the midload. This being a monometal its a little longer and the bearing surface with no grooves like the TSX or TTSX it will generate higher pressures. I ususally shoot the TTSX at 0.050" off of lands and follow their recommended powder for cartridge and bullet wt and back off by a grain or two from max. This hasn't disappointed me yet.

Lefty-Canuck
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Did you put more powder than the midload when loading the etips? If so there is a piece of paper that comes with every etip box that says don't exceed the midload. This being a monometal its a little longer and the bearing surface with no grooves like the TSX or TTSX it will generate higher pressures. I ususally shoot the TTSX at 0.050" off of lands and follow their recommended powder for cartridge and bullet wt and back off by a grain or two from max. This hasn't disappointed me yet.

I actually started 2 grains LESS than what they recommended. I know what I did wrong and likely I shouldn't be blaming the bullet....I seated things too closely like I do with a cup and core. I have done some reading and some other guys have experienced sudden pressure spike with these bullets too. Another factor in deciding not to use them was I could not get the same velocities I was after with the E-Tips compared to the ballistic tips.....but the Ball. Tip bullet construction is not my favorite, but they are dead accurate in my rifle.....hence why I am going to give the TSX TTSX a go. Also I really want to try the accu-bond bullet in my .240WBY.

LC

Pathfinder76
10-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Velocity and pressure are directly related.

Mike_W
10-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I have mine seated .07 off the lands in my 270WSM and am really happy with my accuracy.
I also chose te tsx and not the ttsx length of bullet is a big concern in short mags, but I also notice better bc's with many tsx over the ttsx which I found supprizing.