PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love mountain streams

slivers86
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Well today started out on the confusing note, I had woke up eagerly awaiting a phone call from my fishing buddy of the day, and it didn't happen.. so I was like... WTF???? Than I checked AO to find a quick SOS message that he was called into work. I contimplated the day, while the GF tried to convince me to be home by 1... all I told her was MAAAAYBE :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Arrived at destination around 9:45 am and immediately realised I left my new fly box at home.. Damn hey? Stuck with my other box, with little to nothing in it, I tied up and hoped for the best. First stream I hit, I may as well have hit my head, because thats all I found there.

Made my way to the next one and managed 3 small brookies which were possibly 6" at best. Got a little bored and started checking out every body of water in which I could find, and found myself in cutthroat haven. Managed 7 cutties on the day, not going to post all, but will put a couple up. None were of size, largest 15".

Following many roadside stops, I was making my way home, when I noticed a pool tooooo sweet to drive past. I hit the brakes, pumped the gas and flipped the truck around and grabbed the spinning setup! First cast into the crystal clear water, and BANG! This was by far the largest fish I have ever hooked. Had her on for about 45 seconds, and than the damn thing spit on me. Not sure what it was, but i saw it a few times near the surface, looked like possibly a bull or a very large brown maybe?

Anyways, Here are some photos of the day... May I mention that at one pass I was near, I measured half way up to my knee of fresh snow.. Winter is coming and the fish are pooling up! Found pools with 15-20 cutts and 10-20 brookies, although the brooks were far more picky!

Oh, DID I MENTION... I GOT MY FIRST BULLLL!!!!!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:
Enjoy!

Flyfishen
10-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Very Nice Fish, and that net looks familiar too. First Bull, Right on!!! One more 1st in the books!

e40water12
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Nice catches.

Rockymtnx
10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Great fish.
Congrats!

slivers86
10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
I have to add, this was my most successful day on the fly. I caught 4 cutties on it.. which was unheard of for me :) I think I'm starting to love watching fish rise, contemplate, and hammer a dry sitting on the surface.

By the way, they were hitting brown caddis 16, tried a few others, but didn't have much luck. Like I said, was shocked to not find the right box in my vest... will never leave without checking that again!

BeeGuy
10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Right on. Love those wandering exploring days. Not to be forgotten.

Where was that pool at?

BobLoblaw
10-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Good stuff; sounds like a great day.
Wasn't too many years ago that I used to carry both spin & fly rods, especially for roadside holes. Nowadays, my spinning rods mostly gather dust; they'll never be retired completely, though.
Congratz on your first bull!:)

slivers86
10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I guess only people who come with me on my expeditions will know! I will never reveal my spot, honestly, I just looked on google maps, trying to find where I caught my bull, couldn't do it... but thats the best part, because I'll never catch him again, I'll find a new one :)

Just explore, thats what I did today. Stopped every time I saw water, grabbed one of my rods, and starting walking and casting. Found a few REAAAALY good spots!

I'll return to this area next year, and it will all be different!

Tezma
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Nice fish, Wheres the pool at?>

Dust1n
10-14-2011, 07:48 PM
looks like an awesome day

slivers86
10-14-2011, 11:26 PM
everyone wants to know where the pool was... well here ya go.
Somewhere with swift water, south of calgary, west of lethbridge, and before you hit the bc border :) Good luck :)

tara_13
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
So happy you had a great day... nice pictures too !