PDA

View Full Version : accuracy problem

bluenoser
10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
A buddy of mine got a new rifle combo , cheap scope I would say. Couldn't get it to shoot worth a dam. Put a new scope on it($400+) still the same results. Changed ammo up etc still not good.
The gun was brand new off the shelf, is this a common thing to happen? it's a 30-06 I think the total for the combo was around $550.

Any Ideas?
:thinking-006:

catnthehat
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
before we can give any advice, we need some details.
Rest type, range, flyers or just big groups, has someone else shot the rifle as well to confirm that it is not the shooter?
Everything tight in the rings/bases, etc.
has the gun been taken apart and the oil cleaned out of the bed?
Cat

HunterDave
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
A buddy of mine got a new rifle combo , cheap scope I would say. Couldn't get it to shoot worth a dam. Put a new scope on it($400+) still the same results. Changed ammo up etc still not good.
The gun was brand new off the shelf, is this a common thing to happen? it's a 30-06 I think the total for the combo was around $550.

Any Ideas?
:thinking-006:

What's the trigger pull like? I had the same problem with my non-AccuTrigger packaged Savage.........trigger pull was about 6 LBS......BRUTAL! I put in a Timney Trigger and it shot like a dream.

bluenoser
10-13-2011, 10:16 PM
I'll talk to my buddy and ask a few questions. Shooting off a bench large groups and I would say some flyer's. He has had it for a few years now I have shot it thinking it may be him but no. He has used other rifles with no problem.
Don't know if the oil has been drained out of the bed?

I'll get more info
It's also a savage combo..

catnthehat
10-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I
Don't know if the oil has been drained out of the bed?

I'll get more info.
I've seen that many times, there often is a bunch of oil in the bed between the stock and action, it tends to make the POI wonder big time.
That and pressure points where they are not supposed to be, coupled with action screws that are too tight, are very common occurrences.:)
Cat

elkhunter11
10-14-2011, 06:55 AM
I've seen that many times, there often is a bunch of oil in the bed between the stock and action, it tends to make the POI wonder big time.

A friend sprayed down his rifle with G-96 after hunting in the rain, and his groups went from around 3/4" to 2" to 3". He was blaming the scope, the scope or mounts, but after I cleaned up the bedding, the groups returned to normal.

ctd
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Replace the scope mounts.
My Rem 710 was wandering after a couple hundred rds. I broke the scope adjustment screws on the scope and had to replace the scope. I thought it was the scope.
After some more shooting with the new scope (less then 20rds rds after sighting in) it was wondering again. I took the scope off (Bushnell Banner) tried it on another rifle and it still wandered. I took it back and bought a 3x9x40 Bushnell 3200 with Firefly reticle.

Installed it on my rifle could not get it to hold zero, ended up replacing the rings with some Leapolds and now the thing holds zero with no issues.

Change the rings with some quailty ones. The rifle should shoot fine.

7mm08
10-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Did anyone else shoot the rifle? I had a friend who swore his barrel was bent because he couldnt group inside 4 inches at 100yds. We cleaned the rifle, tightened the mounts, even shot 3 different brands/bullet weights of ammo. Finally, I sat behind the rifle and shot a 3 shot group. Looked through the spotting scope...nice cloverleaf about 1 1/2 in diameter. Switched ammo, again...under 2 inch group. By then I had enough..(it was a 7mmMag). I suggested he get a .308 or 7mm-08 because the gun was not to blame. I offered the option that he developed a flinch early on or the recoil was hurting his groups. The name he called me made us doubt or friendship. I think it had something to do with the fact I shot his "bent barrel piece of dung" better than he did.