PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips on Deep Sea fishing in Varadero, Cuba!!

mitchman72
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
My wife and I as well as four other couples are leaving for Varadero on Sunday. Wondering if anybody has done any deep sea fishing here? The girls want to go shopping for a day and the boys would like to go fishing! I have tried to look for places online but have not been very successful. We would like to have someone tell us of a reputable charter company. Any help would be appreciated! If successful, I will post pic's when we get back!!!!

Thanks

Mitch

mark-edmonton
01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
took my wife deepsea fishing before... not in cuba, but my point is, have gravol or something for the stomach, even better would be to take a non drowsy motion sickness pill 30 min prior to sail. My wife spent the better part of 8 hours uder the deck in the toilet.

Have a good time and show us your catch

600twin
01-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Did it once about 5 yrs ago, it sucked big time only caught one small mackeral. You would be better off to head towards Havana for better fishing,,, Tarara is supposed to be a good spot 2 hrs from Varadero.

curtis_rak
01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I was in Varadero and did some fishing in December. I was also there three years ago and fished then as well.

There aere no charter companies for fishing in Cuba as all of the boats are gov't owned. The only way to book a fishing trip is through your tour operator at your resort.

Both times it has cost just under $300 for four people for about 5 or 6 hours of fishing. The fishing boats that they send you on are really nice (most are Italian made 25-35' boats). The guides are hit and miss as to wether they speak english, but who cares anyways, your only fishing ;)

When I went in December it was really slow, I landed the only fish for our boat and it was a small Barracuda (maybe 15lbs). When I went 3 years ago, we caught a 35lb Barracuda and a 20lb Snapper. But there are Wahoo and Marlin out in the water there as well, but I have not been that lucky.

Here is a pic...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/curtis_rak/Fishing/cuba155.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/curtis_rak/Fishing/n612855023_1862805_436.jpg

Okotokian
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
The girls want to go shopping for a day
Mitch

Won't take a day. There's not much to buy in Veradaro LOL Once you have the t-shirts and some trinkets.... We did it the other way, took stuff there for kids and gave it away. They were thrilled. Don't have much...

ZoneOne
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
We fished there about 4 years ago. We could only fish in the marina due to bad weather the night before. We caught a few small cudas. They fed and watered us well though.

TUFFBUFF
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi

Were heading down to Veradero 3rd week april - will be my first trip out of N America. I want to go fishing a couple times, anyone got any info ?

Bring your own rod/tackle etc any info / experiences / stories would be great

MB

seahawkfisher
03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
yup bring your own gear - there are some good spots to shore fish. i fished off of a catamaran on an excursion (just asked nice :) ) . bring some line and bait hooks to give to the locals and they will put you on the good spots. lots of charters out there too.
if you are in to golf there is a pretty nice course (really nice layout) that is cheap to play if you bring your own clubs and book your time right at the course (2 green fees with cart for 110 bucks - twilight; we were one of the only groups on the course so that was nice too)
cheers

BeerSlayer1
03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
There was a post on here a couple of weeks ago about this topic.

TUFFBUFF
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
thanks seahawk

From what I've been searching it seems Veradero isn't known for the fishing, locals keep it netted. Habana, Las Salinas, Cayo Coco are what others are talking about. Were looking to charter for 1/2 day or day for cudas and snook and anything else of some size, and may have to road trip for some bonefish. Suposed to be lots of 2/3 lbers of different species along any of the reefs.
I told the misses that I'd go if I can fish for at least 2 of the days!! so my research has begun.

ishootbambi
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
im told it can be good in january, but not in march/april. the guides told me march was the worst month of the year for fishing....after they took my money of course.:rolleyes: