PDA

View Full Version : getting into fly fishing

albinorhino
10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
hey so im one who can admit hes a noob to certain things when it comes to fly fishing i dont know much... like pretty much nothing haha, Ive decided to start getting more into it but instead of using my dads i need to get my own the problem is i don't know where to find them wholesale sports too expensive or too cheap nothing inbetween so ive been looking online but i don't know what is good and whats not if someone could point me into the right direction ie.. websites that i can buy for cheaper then in store like ebay and what types of rods are good for there price.

Gary K
10-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Never had a problem with TFO rods, based out of calgary, excellent customer service.
my first one was a TFO signiture something, got it as a package withg line and reall for around 150. still use it on occasion!

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

albinorhino
10-14-2011, 02:28 PM
thanks ill check em out!

npauls
10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
There is a place in Calgary that has a fly fishing course you can take and you get to keep the rod you use at the end of the course. I am not sure what the name of the place is but I am sure someone on the forum will let you know.

If I would have known about that when I started I would have taken the course for sure. Nothing better then hands on training to help speed up the learning curve.

sanjuanworm
10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
There is a place in Calgary that has a fly fishing course you can take and you get to keep the rod you use at the end of the course. I am not sure what the name of the place is but I am sure someone on the forum will let you know.

If I would have known about that when I started I would have taken the course for sure. Nothing better then hands on training to help speed up the learning curve.

Hansens?

sanjuanworm
10-14-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fly-fishing-boot-camp/

slivers86
10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Never had a problem with TFO rods, based out of calgary, excellent customer service.
my first one was a TFO signiture something, got it as a package withg line and reall for around 150. still use it on occasion!

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

I have this rod, sig series. great rod, landed some nice fish with it. I got my setup with backing, line, leaders, tippets + gink for 200 ish from WSS.

And of course, got 80 flies from icky to get started toooo!

npauls
10-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Hansens?

Ya thats the one.

I have heard nothing but good things about the program for starter fly fishermen.

Eddy62
10-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Ya thats the one.

I have heard nothing but good things about the program for starter fly fishermen.i took the course it was 200 dollars.got rod.reel.line.leader and than you get a fly when they walk you down to river to practice with i had dave as a teacher and he was awesome.plus they do up nice bbq for the guys.......and girls. worth every penny..... hope this helps

albinorhino
10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
thanks for the advice everyone!