PDA

View Full Version : BLR - lubrication for cold weather?

Hill 60 Kid
10-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I can't seem to find a thread on this but was looking for suggestions on a gun oil that holds up well in cold weather. I hear the BLR's will lock up in really cold weather. Thanks.

catnthehat
10-14-2011, 10:14 PM
G96 works well, but I tend run my stuff dry - wipe it on, and wipe it off.
Cat

jungleboy
10-14-2011, 10:18 PM
G96 works well, but I tend run my stuff dry - wipe it on, and wipe it off.
Cat

x2

huntinstuff
10-15-2011, 12:50 AM
x2

X3

steve
10-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Where can a guy buy G96?

Looked all over the city, no one has it. Cabelas didnt know what it was. P&D is sold out.

catnthehat
10-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Where can a guy buy G96?

Looked all over the city, no one has it. Cabelas didnt know what it was. P&D is sold out.

WSS, P&D, almost any decent shop will have it.
Cat

260 Rem
10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Left some "gun oil" in my BLR when I was out last November and at -25C, I was lucky to get the action to move and the hammer fell in slow motion. Warmed it up...flushed the action with WD40...dried it and it worked fine in the cold.

rsako
10-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I can't seem to find a thread on this but was looking for suggestions on a gun oil that holds up well in cold weather. I hear the BLR's will lock up in really cold weather. Thanks.

Rem-Oil is the only oil I buy and use. I've hunted AB and SK for well over 20 years...no issues at all. My buddies use it in auto's, pumps and I in my Bolt action as well as my lever action Marlin (now sold).

I've been in some serious cold over the years and have never had any issues with it. I like a light coat to keep rust away when its cold soaked and then back into a warm truck or cabin (frost develops) and then dries...

try it...oil it with Rem-Oil then put your gun in the deep freezer overnight and try it the next day. sounds crazy :scared0015: but if your guns can't survive that (scope and all) then you need to get a new one

PoppaW
10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
try it...oil it with Rem-Oil then put your gun in the deep freezer overnight and try it the next day. sounds crazy :scared0015: but if your guns can't survive that (scope and all) then you need to get a new one

What is the temp on your deep freeze? -12 or so. Just got me thinking that its not -30 in there. I don't know myself.

MAC
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Most deep freeze will have a thermostat for adjustment but most will be at
-18 Celsius as a minimum for safe food storage. I have gotten mine down to
-25. I have checked both my deep freezers. With a lever action and concern over freezing sounds like it may be a good test.

MAC

rsako
10-15-2011, 06:56 PM
"-18 Celsius as a minimum for safe food storage. I have gotten mine down to
-25. I have checked both my deep freezers. With a lever action and concern over freezing sounds like it may be a good test.

Yep... -18C is a minimum for most deep freezers. Usually colder.

Actually...I'll take it a touch further. Every scope I ever buy comes out of the box...goes in the deep freeze overnight and then removed. I look for signs of fogging (broken seals). Only ever had one fail the test, and returned it with no marks on it.

:)

elkhunter11
10-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Both Edmonton WSS stores had plenty of G-96 yesterday.

steve
10-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Both Edmonton WSS stores had plenty of G-96 yesterday.

Thanks.

Teapot
10-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Rem-Oil is the only oil I buy and use. I've hunted AB and SK for well over 20 years...no issues at all. My buddies use it in auto's, pumps and I in my Bolt action as well as my lever action Marlin (now sold).

I've been in some serious cold over the years and have never had any issues with it. I like a light coat to keep rust away when its cold soaked and then back into a warm truck or cabin (frost develops) and then dries...

Makes sense. Use what works and what you know from experience that works.
The Finns used ordinary gun oil cut with 50% gasoline for their weapons. Their bolts never froze. If Rem Oil is not available this method may work. Perhaps rsako can do a test for us using the old Suomi Winter War weapon lubricant.
(On a side note, aren't most scopes filled with nitrogen these days?)

gitrdun
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I used a product called Stag 550 frigidized gun oil and it worked real well. It was made in Ontario and in Richmond BC. I haven't seen it around so I'll be going to that G96 stuff as others have suggested. I think I'll follow Cat's advise to lube and wipe off also.

Justflyfish4eva
10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
The freezer at work is at -80. If anyone wants to give me their scope. I'll throw it in there for a day or two.

Hill 60 Kid
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Cheers,

Hill 60 Kid

densa44
10-16-2011, 08:59 PM
In the days before G96 and other 21st. century products firing pins would move slow enough that you could watch it creep forward. Dry, graphite, and a graphite product I had with my electric train, Zip something I think. The cooey single 22 worked perfect after that!.

Big Daddy Badger
10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I sometimes use CLP but usually I use the Lucas Oil stuff.. it looks like automatic transmission fluid and stays fluid in the cold....at least to -40 to -45 C...below that...I don't know. You can get both at P&D in Edm.

catnthehat
10-16-2011, 09:52 PM
In the days before G96 and other 21st. century products firing pins would move slow enough that you could watch it creep forward. Dry, graphite, and a graphite product I had with my electric train, Zip something I think. The cooey single 22 worked perfect after that!.

G96's predecessor was G66, C.I.L. sold it along with some other arresol stuff, like a dry fly spray, bug dope, deer lure, and some others that Ii can't remember!:(
Pretty much anything that will not gum up is good, and i know Kenny Jarret uses Auto tranny fluid on his bolts - but I don't think he does a lot of cold weather shooting!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cat

petew
10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Cant beat G96. Been using it for about 20years now.
Tried ATF in the camper jacks and had to heat them up with a tourch at -20 to unload the camper so I don't want to use that on a firing pin. LOL

Rod1960
10-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Would a good quality synthetic motor oil work?

catnthehat
10-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Would a good quality synthetic motor oil work?

it's better to use a spray like G96 or one of the other commercial spray on the market, IMO.

Synthetic motor oil may work, but I wouldn't want to take a chance on it myself.....
Cat