PDA

View Full Version : Pal renewal question

The Rog Man
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes I searched pal renewal and got pages of hits that i went through but i never found the answer to my specific question.

I have a restricted pal but currently i do not own any restricted firearms.
recent recession caused me to have to sell everything and because finances are UBER tight right now I am not currently a member of any gun club.
Reading other posts i have found that a Rpal will get held up without a current range membership.
My question is since i currently DO NOT own any restricted guns will my renewal get held up?
I am going to attach a hand written letter stating i know i have no current range membership but also i currently do not own any restricted firearms. Do you think that will suffice or can i expect to become a criminal as my licence expires while my renewal gets lost in the gov't soup?

Jay T
10-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I held an RPAL since I got my PAL and never had a restricted weapon, when I renewed, it was no problem. The only time I had a renewal problem was when I had a restricted weapon, my club membership was 3 months from expiring so they made me get a new membership before they renewed me.

The Rog Man
10-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Well i hope that is the case for my renewal.
I am attaching a letter stating i currently don't own and restricted guns so i hope that does it and in a timely fashion.
I thought i had a year and change to renew and then i got the letter making me realize i only had the change and not the extra year.
I hope the renewal goes smoothly?????????

heybert
10-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I would call the chief firearms officer's office. They are very helpfull. Got a letter asking for a copy of my club membership and a follolw-up phonecall. The lady that phoned from Miramachi was a bit condescending so I called up the cfo"s office. They straightened everything out right away.

DarkAisling
10-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I did not have a range membership, and mine was not held up. I see no reason why you should have to include a letter.

If you're really worried, call the ladies at the CFO's office and ask them. I've spoken to them a number of times (about several different points which caused me concern or confusion) and they've always been incredibly polite and helpful: both Ontario (federal?) and Alberta, but I think the Alberta ladies are the most pleasant.

The Rog Man
10-15-2011, 03:14 PM
well i included a letter and sent it express post. so hopefully it gets renewed with out any hassles.
I am being optimistic even though this is gov't....