PDA

View Full Version : Frozen fish

pabz
10-15-2011, 12:44 AM
The gills on this fish must have froze solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQC3fgpQFto

Tezma
10-15-2011, 01:57 AM
poor fish

horsetrader
10-15-2011, 09:35 AM
The gills on this fish must have froze solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQC3fgpQFto

What gives you that idea?

Sundancefisher
10-15-2011, 01:30 PM
1 minute...30 seconds out of water. I would say the air temperature was the least of that pikes problems. Serious brain damage is likely the biggest problem.

Very, very poor catch and release technique...and unfortunately these guys seem oblivious to that fact.

Other that suffocation... and significant internal organ squeezing...flopping around on the ice could potentially harm the gills and the slim coating.

While I get the sense they mean well and are not being malicious towards the pike...someone needs to teach them proper catch and release technique...or just keep and eat these ones.

Hard to believe they even contemplated keeping it out longer to weigh. Given the labored breathing of the fishermen...I don't think they could of held their breath for 20 seconds...let alone 1.5 minutes.

chubbdarter
10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Not sure how cold it is in the Vid....he's wearing sneakers and the ice is quiet

Geezle
10-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Not sure how cold it is in the Vid....he's wearing sneakers and the ice is quiet

I thought the same thing.

Still poor fish handling though.

ice
10-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Its was only out for 1:38...

Itsmyfishingshow
10-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Can you go underwater for 1:38?

do fish have competitions to see how long they can stand it out of water?

Sundancefisher
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM

Not sure if you are being sarcastic that they kept the fish out that long...but typically anything over 30 seconds you will start to see damange...3 times that...brain damage is occurring from lack of oxygen. Even with it being colder outside...this is still no where near acceptible catch and release behavoir. Standing around watching a fish flopping out of water to me is just bad behavoir that once a person is educated on the fact it is bad...tend to change quickly.

As mentioned...some people just don't draw the conclusions of suffocation on the ice or shore because they are breathing. Rule of thumb...when the fish is out of water...take a breath and hold it. When you have to breath...so does the fish.

Something to always consider.

BeeGuy
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Here is a study that specifically tested the impact of fish handling on pike mortality.

As long as a fish's gills remain wet they will continue to absorb some oxygen.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidpdfs/Fds98-34.pdf

Tezma
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Here is a study that specifically tested the impact of fish handling on pike mortality.

As long as a fish's gills remain wet they will continue to absorb some oxygen.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidpdfs/Fds98-34.pdf

hey Linc, Your link doesn't open Linc

Tezma
10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I remember when I went to badger with my step dad and we caught about 3 nice sized pike. 5-8lbs we did take them home.

As we caught them in midd day we through them on the snow. It was -25 to -30 with wind chill

When we got home that night after 6 hours of the fish being out of the water. He said wanna see something cool. I said sure.

He filled up the tub with cold water and placed the fish in there to Unthaw. After about 4 mins the fish started to breath and my dad started to push and pull it back inforth.
after 15 mins of this the pike started to swim, Upside down. My dad would gentle hold him up right and he was moving his mouth and gills.

Explain that to me!? It wasx frozen for 6 hours on the ice.. then brought it home and it came back to life. We sorta.

BeeGuy
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
hey Linc, Your link doesn't open Linc

Works fine for me, it is a .pdf.

Just takes a second to load.

ice
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Can you go underwater for 1:38?

do fish have competitions to see how long they can stand it out of water?

Of course, im an alligator...

Yeah that was sarcasm.. I practice the hold your breath and if you cant, its probobly time for a dip routine

RavYak
10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I bet you 95% of the time that fish survives even with the poor handling. In fact here is a quick article I just found that says no change was noticed in Muskie handled for 90 seconds.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/articles/Landsman-et-al.-2011-MuskieC&R.pdf

I definitely wouldn't want to keep a fish longer then that but I have caught enough pike that had themselves hooked badly or wrap themselves up in the net etc and it takes a while to get them free and they are usually still quite lively just as this guy was(had trouble getting down the hole but was very much alive).

Playing your fish out is the worst thing you can do(besides hooking a fish deep) and I know lots of anglers do this. It puts far more stress on the fish and this is proven to severely affect mortality.

BeeGuy
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I bet you 95% of the time that fish survives even with the poor handling. In fact here is a quick article I just found that says no change was noticed in Muskie handled for 90 seconds.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/articles/Landsman-et-al.-2011-MuskieC&R.pdf

I definitely wouldn't want to keep a fish longer then that but I have caught enough pike that had themselves hooked badly or wrap themselves up in the net etc and it takes a while to get them free and they are usually still quite lively just as this guy was(had trouble getting down the hole but was very much alive).

Playing your fish out is the worst thing you can do(besides hooking a fish deep) and I know lots of anglers do this. It puts far more stress on the fish and this is proven to severely affect mortality.

x2

The article I posted had the fish kept out of the water for 3min and no noticeable difference could be found. This is likely due to an insufficient sample size but it does suggest overall that this time frame does not significantly increase mortality.....in Pike.

RavYak
10-18-2011, 06:39 PM
x2

The article I posted had the fish kept out of the water for 3min and no noticeable difference could be found. This is likely due to an insufficient sample size but it does suggest overall that this time frame does not significantly increase mortality.....in Pike.

Yeah I have had a couple over the years that get themselves wrapped up in the net(when I used the crappy green nets) and could barely get them out cause the hook was all tangled up in there too. They are usually out of the water easily for a couple minutes and yet you put them back in the water and they fire off like nothing happened. Can't tell me a fish that swims away quickly and healthily is suffering from brain damage...

I don't play with my fish though, I hook them and reel them in quickly. Pike usually don't even get a chance to turn and run unless they are big buggers. Only fish I play a little are trout because if you force them they go schizophrenic and start flopping everywhere till they knock the lure free.

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Totally. This may be the case for pike, but I expect each species have their own limitations.

I remember when I was a kid one of the neighbours at gramps cottage caught a big brown bullhead (catfish) and threw it in the forest.

The next day it was just sitting there in the forest fine as could be. But it's a catfish.

If a fish's gills are wet they will still be taking up oxygen, but as some pointed out the oxygen demand for a hard fighting fish like a trout may be much greater than what they are receiving at that time.

There may be a big difference between warm water fish and cold water species as well.

ak-71
10-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Doesn't look much different from some videos I've seen on this site, and think the fish will be OK.
I am sure some people have a much better skills in fish handling, but it seem like result for the fish is the same

Sundancefisher
10-18-2011, 08:37 PM
x2

I find any anecdotal comments about stretching the time boundaries for lack of oxygen being fine for fish health...somewhat disturbing. As sportsmen...if releasing fish we should be encouraging the best release practices...not finding excuses to push common sense.

While oxygen deprivation between species, size, degree of exhaustion and temperature conditions will vary...standard practice should always be to keep the fish in the water as much as possible and release as quickly as possible. Would you not agree?

RavYak
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I find any anecdotal comments about stretching the time boundaries for lack of oxygen being fine for fish health...somewhat disturbing. As sportsmen...if releasing fish we should be encouraging the best release practices...not finding excuses to push common sense.

While oxygen deprivation between species, size, degree of exhaustion and temperature conditions will vary...standard practice should always be to keep the fish in the water as much as possible and release as quickly as possible. Would you not agree?

Totally agree and I am pretty sure BeeGuy does too. My comments nor anyone elses on here are trying to back up the actions of the guys in the video. Obviously they could have done a better job with releasing that fish.

The thing is, why must people go overboard on this subject. "Poor fish", "frozen solid", "serious brain damage". I call BS on any member here who claims to have never kept a fish out of water for 90 seconds or more(fish wrapped in a net, hooked deep, forgot pliers,taking pictures and measuring etc). Time yourself next time if you don't believe me, it isn't that hard to have a fish out of the water for over a minute. At least the guys would have kept it if it didn't swim away.

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 09:04 PM

I absolutely agree.

Be nice, catch'em twice!

ak-71
10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree, and the guy seems a bit slow and unorganized. It just seems to me that counting seconds of somebody's else sloppy release and predicting the fish's chances to survive is even less than anecdotal.
As a matter of fact the article in the link suggests that conclusion on "oxygen deprived" fish's future are completely unfounded. That's all.

RisingRainbows
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Whether it kills them or give brain damage or not, isn't it good practice to eliminate that chance as much as possible? It is still cruel not to do everything in your power to reduce stress on a fish you are releasing. If I go kick the neighbour's dog it doesn't die or get brain damage but that doesn't make it ok. Any unnecessary hurt to any animal is irresponsible.

Sundancefisher
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Whether it kills them or give brain damage or not, isn't it good practice to eliminate that chance as much as possible? It is still cruel not to do everything in your power to reduce stress on a fish you are releasing. If I go kick the neighbour's dog it doesn't die or get brain damage but that doesn't make it ok. Any unnecessary hurt to any animal is irresponsible.

You agree that catch and release is great as a management tool and that sportsmen should do the best job they can at getting them back into the water to be caught again.

X2

chubbdarter
10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
The OP asked a question....and I still say NO

EZM
10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I've noticed that the longer you play the fish the long it needs to recover as you are holding it upright to revive.

I've had fish in the boat quickly only to get tangled up, hooked deep and out of the water for a long time that just seemed to take off quickly.

I think it's more likely exhaustion - not oxegen depravation that does a fish in. An exhausted fish can't keep itself upright and therefore has a tougher time recovering IMO.