PDA

View Full Version : Canoe fishin the Reservoirs

BeeGuy
10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Well, I was planning on heading to Spray with the little lady as the wind will be low tomorrow, but then I though it would be fun to try out one of the Prairie Reservoirs for Lake Whites or gators.

Can anyone suggest one of the Reservoirs which would be OK to take the canoe out on?

I'm thinking MacGregor, Badger or one of the others, but I've never tried any of them.

A few pointers would be appreciated.

Bzz

Kokanee9
10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Wherever you decide to go to, stay close to shore because the water is cold. A dump in the water at this time of year is not much different than going through the ice. You may last a bit longer and don't have the cold air of the winter against you, but far away from shore and no other boats around would not be a good experience.

I would think you practice safe boating year round, but this time of year requires extra vigilance.

BeeGuy
10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Wherever you decide to go to, stay close to shore because the water is cold. A dump in the water at this time of year is not much different than going through the ice. You may last a bit longer and don't have the cold air of the winter against you, but far away from shore and no other boats around would not be a good experience.

I would think you practice safe boating year round, but this time of year requires extra vigilance.

Thanks for the advice. The little lady has a built in aerometer, and when it hits about 8km/h we head home anyways.

Spray looks good for tomorrow, but I haven't checked the SE yet.

For those looking for great weather updates, this site has never failed me!

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/spray_lake_nakiska_ridgetop (http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/spray_lake_nakiska_ridgetop)

mikeo2
10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Newell or Travers or keho, wind won't be an issue at any of them.

Eddy62
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
what a awesome page txs

slough shark
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
be very careful, capsizing this time of year is potentially fatal regardless of how good you can swim because of air and water temps. If you go out stick close to shore and stick to the bays away from power boats and get to shore quickly if wind picks up.

Gust
10-17-2011, 07:31 PM
not bad wind if you stick to the south of badger or the north side of the causeway at mcgregor
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0198

causeway; 50.351923,-112.83534

or the first spot i sent you

Tezma
10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I have a battery and trolling motor...... But..... You know..... YOU could have been more open for trying other spots on the lake.... next time... cause you don't know where the fish are if you don't check it out... DUH>

And if the wind picks up the trolling motor will keep us striaght,

Kokanee9
10-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Take an anchor and throw it over and then cast around you. Stay near the shore where the wind is coming from and you wont have any problems with waves.

BeeGuy
10-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Great advice guys.

What do you think our chances are of getting into some Lake Whites given that we haven't fished Travers, Badger, or McGregor?

Using a size 14 fly with a maggot in the flats?

Tezma
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
How did you make out?

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Had one monster bull follow my jig from 140' to 20'. Then swim back down without a hit.

Marked fish from 90' to 310' and nothing in the shallows.

No wind and glass at times.

Got a late season sunburn, beautiful.

There's bits of snow on the ground at that elevation and the puddles are freezing.

Tezma
10-18-2011, 05:52 PM
I will make a thread about the access for bearspaw dam.

CPR is making a 10 foot chainlink fence at the crossing.

I will put link up in about an hour

mikeo2
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Had one monster bull follow my jig from 140' to 20'. Then swim back down without a hit.

Marked fish from 90' to 310' and nothing in the shallows.

No wind and glass at times.

Got a late season sunburn, beautiful.

There's bits of snow on the ground at that elevation and the puddles are freezing.

You were marking things in 310' feet of wAter? You end up at lower or upper k?

Tezma
10-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Its a cheap fishfinder ... LOL... Might have been Lockness monster lol

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Upper.

Most marked fish were 130-170'.

But there was fish marked consistently below this.

As I said, nothing in the shallows.

mikeo2
10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Didn't think the upper lake had bulls let alone ones that hang out in water greater than 170'. I do know that daceminnow knows the lakes well.

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Hopefully he will chime in.

I don't know the place well, and have a lot more success in the lower lake.

Larger and more foolish fish, although perhaps fewer trout than the upper.

Tezma
10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
To bad I didn't go with you to the upper.... I know a few good spots..... north side.

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
To bad I didn't go with you to the upper.... I know a few good spots..... north side.

100+ feet of water?

Water temp is 44f.

Tezma
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Hmmm, Well yea there is a few spots on the upper that I have had great luck at. Trolling with a select few flys will catch you fish....

If I went with you, I would have brought the trolling motor... also.... if not we could have row'd at a trolling speed.

44F is perfect temp for Rainbows. Odds are there is lots of trees that your picking up

BeeGuy
10-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Hmmm, Well yea there is a few spots on the upper that I have had great luck at. Trolling with a select few flys will catch you fish....

If I went with you, I would have brought the trolling motor... also.... if not we could have row'd at a trolling speed.

44F is perfect temp for Rainbows. Odds are there is lots of trees that your picking up

Suspended trees?

Tezma
10-19-2011, 12:48 AM
I would say.... Unless there are thousands apon thousands of fish that deep! You would need down riggers! LOL and a huge HuskVARNNNA

Daceminnow
10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Upper.

Most marked fish were 130-170'.

But there was fish marked consistently below this.

As I said, nothing in the shallows.

i still did alright up there over the weekend from shore. a little tougher slinging the flys as the water level was as high as you'll see it. she's a cooler wade right now too. pretty sure i wasn't flinging my gear into 130' of water though and i hooked into some.