PDA

View Full Version : fishing with dogs on the ice

Alberta Bigbore
10-21-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm a fairly new dog owner.... Have myself a Yellow Lab. Was wondering if there is any special gear to bring or buy for the dog for a days icefishing that I might need? I see dogs on the ice every winter... But wondering how they can handle all day on a frozen lake. booties? Extra water, food, blanket to lay down on ? Dog owners chime in.

Stewie
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I bring my Yellow Lab ice fishing all the time… I usually bring him a blanket if he wants to lay down when he comes in the tent… usually have a bone or something for him to keep him busy when he isn’t running around…

And you can leave the “booties” at home… you have a real dog good sir… :) just check every once and a while for snow build up in the webbing on his paws and your good to go…

as for water goes... just drill an extra hole...

Stewie
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Oh and one more thing... make sure you keep your bait in a safe place... Labs will eat anything...

pikehunter1989
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Labs are pretty good as far as handling the cold goes but still wouldn't hurt to have some booties and a blanket to lay on and water and food..But for the most part a lab should fine. Also keep the hairs between the pads trimmed to prevent build up of ice on the paws that could slice the pads open.

FishingFrenzy
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
If your not comfortable with your lab running around outside without supervision yet... bring an extra ice anchor or two so that you can put it on a rope. Not saying you should tie her up, but I know when I first got my lab I wasn't okay with letting her run loose everywhere.

Sundancefisher
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
If your not comfortable with your lab running around outside without supervision yet... bring an extra ice anchor or two so that you can put it on a rope. Not saying you should tie her up, but I know when I first got my lab I wasn't okay with letting her run loose everywhere.

Take a roll of sleeping foam with a wool blanket...I have seen dogs lying on ice and then freezing in later in the day as the sun goes down.

Watch for drivers...they don't usually look for dogs sleeping as they pull up beside your hole to see what you are doing :thinking-006:

Take a water bowl and food dish...with chow...I have see labs run around like crazy as the snow is falling. Gotta think that builds up an appetite.

Stewie
10-21-2011, 09:42 AM

x2...

I did that when Duke was younger... get a long rope and tie to the truck or on an anchor...

If you have buddies with other dogs bring them too... the dogs will play all day...

slingshotz
10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Our dog came from Mexico and has adapted to being on the ice all day without any major issues. She has long hair between the toes so the snow build up gets bad but she seems to like chewing them off between running around, and it gives her something to do. We tried the booties but they wouldn't stay on and she never seemed to have any issues running around when it's warmer than about -5C.

When it gets colder than that, we just keep her inside in the tent on the rubber mat.

With a lab you won't have any issues at all, our dog runs around all the time with Ken's dog which is also a lab. It does help to have other dogs around for them to get in trouble with ;)

calgarygringo
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
As Will says above just let your dog run and play. We let his dog and my lab go all day on the ice. They come back for rests and we always have something they can lay on if need be. The biggest thing you need to worry about is what they find on the ice. We have had a few trips back where they go hunting and my lab finds somebodys leftover fish to roll in. My lab loves ice fishing as well as all the action that goes with it. Coming home our 2 dogs curl up together in the back seat and complete dead silence coming home. Have fun......

Ken

Alberta Bigbore
10-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Great info... Thx !

drake
10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
x2...

I did that when Duke was younger... get a long rope and tie to the truck or on an anchor...

If you have buddies with other dogs bring them too... the dogs will play all day...

Im picturing a disaster of epic proportions.....

gdbugs
10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
If there is little snow and pure ice watch out. My lab got a new knee after blowing it out. $4000.00.

thumper
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
On the Spray Res the coyotes sometimes come right out on the ice and try to entice young dogs to run off into the woods to "play". Watch out for them.

Until you're SURE of how you dog acts, I'd suggest that you fish well away from other people because you can't stop other people from laying their baited rods down on the ice - and dogs WILL gobble up bait on a hook - especially smelts ofrcheese. It's a terrible sight to see it happen - and even worse when someone grabs the line and tries ripping the hook out of the dogs gullet...

Watch for people para-skating - dogs seem to really like chasing them (those & skateboards!)

If there's ANY thin ice or open water, let your dog trail a long length of rope on a tight collar. Sooner or later your pup will find it, and you don't want to helplessly watch him drown and you certainly don't want to risk your life getting him out.

And please, bring a pooper bag and pick up after your pup on the ice- thx

Kingfisher
10-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Oh and one more thing... make sure you keep your bait in a safe place... Labs will eat anything...

Best quote ever. So true Stewie. I also have a yellow lab. She'd eat the smelts and the bag it came in if you let her.

I usually bring a blanket. But I also bought some of the interlocking foam pads for inside the tent. She loves to come in and lay on the foam.

Rob

WayneChristie
10-21-2011, 08:28 PM
if you have your dog in the tent watch out for tails in the heater, seen a few go up when they got too close to a campfire, hate to think of the scene inside a small tent , although it would make a good video. :bad_boys_20: hang her tail over a hole tie a walleye rig to it, and pet her so she does the jigging for you . even better than the windshield wipers trick, and you dont need to run down your battery. watch out for big pike tho :scared0018:

FishingMOM
10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Kingfisher;1126942 But I also bought some of the interlocking foam pads for inside the tent. She loves to come in and lay on the foam.

Rob[/QUOTE]

X2
Those foam mats are great for dogs and kids and fishermen.
They provide a great barrier to the cold.

hunter49
10-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Im picturing a disaster of epic proportions.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LrFEbxWzXI

Tyangelo
10-23-2011, 12:46 AM
We should get a trip going, and bring our labs. I've got a 2.5 old black lab that would love playing with other dogs on the ice.

deanmc
10-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Poop bags. Doods that let their doggies crap without picking it up are totally off my xmas card list.

flygirrl
10-23-2011, 09:50 AM
This is the new addition to the family and she is a great girl. I to was wondering what to do for her on the ice. Just hope I dont pass on my fear of the frozen stuff. And yes she is 4 legs and a gut... Hope to see you guys this winter and have maggie meet the gang.

calgarygringo
10-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Not to worry about your dog but just yourself on the ice. I am sure Jet and Luna can teach the new dog everything to do. Wrestling, chasing, eating everyones bait on the ice, finding everyones leftover fish guts and then for last roll in all of it. LOL.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshou t:
Too bad you didn't have your new partner on our last get together. Could have really got a workout I am sure. Looking forward to the ice.

alodar
10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
A matt or spare jacket to lay on an extra coat and food n water. I had booties but she keeps loseing them if u got a tent set a corner up for her. If u got a warm, dry place for her to rest then u got nothing to worry about but food n water

boonedocks
10-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Ive found that fishing with my dogs has become easier since the barbless rule has come into effect. Trust me,Dont leave your bait lying around.

ak-71
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Ive found that fishing with my dogs has become easier since the barbless rule has come into effect. Trust me,Dont leave your bait lying around.

My 35 lbs spaniel is the largest thing I've ever caught on a dry fly...
Floating things give him retrieving urges :angry3:

Winch101
10-25-2011, 08:50 AM
I know I have a tendency to humour but this aint it ...

10" hole keep an eye on the dog , I know of two occasions where

the Lab slipped into the water on purpose ....so anything is possible ....

Erik
10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Took the beagles out on the ice last winter. They were fine. Spent most of the day out there and it was around -10-15. Our bigger girl found some bait left in the snow at various holes, dug it up and ate it and then spent the better part of the day puking it back up. We now call her "fish-hound". Put a blanket in the sled and eventually they both crawled up and took a nap in the sun. Both howled at the pike we caught. Love adventures with the hounds!!