PDA

View Full Version : Jim Shockey

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 01:16 PM
You know how we have the ministers tag. Well so does BC and Shockey won it..
He had to give it back because as a resident he didn't spent enough time there to be classified as a resident.
With him always leaving town on his hunts and posting them on his blog somone took the time to add all the days up and he had to give it back... That would suck famous or not.....

steve
10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
For what species? I would have thought he is a Sask resident still for november WT's

walking buffalo
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
The power of Hunting forums....

Here's how it happened. You need to sign in to view the threads.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?71295-Special-SHEEP-DRAW-quot-Shockey-quot&highlight=shockey+resident

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?72369-BC-Premiers-Tag-BC-resdiency&highlight=shockey+resident

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Any sheep BC has to offer.. I think it would be the best tag in the world to get..That is what I got from reading it on BC forum..

sheephunter
10-21-2011, 01:28 PM
For what species? I would have thought he is a Sask resident still for november WT's

He won the resident Minister's tag for sheep in BC......Jim's been a long time BC resident.....too bad for sure what happened.

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 01:30 PM
So did he lose it or not..

sheephunter
10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
So did he lose it or not..

Yup

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 01:32 PM
He won the resident Minister's tag for sheep in BC......Jim's been a long time BC resident.....too bad for sure what happened.

X2 it sounds very unfair to me..You won you won...

Stewie
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
What a joke... I would be so mad...

Some people with way to much time on their hands...

gonefishin
10-21-2011, 01:51 PM
So, he lives in B.C, owns a business in B.C, has different offices in B.C, pays taxes in BC... but is not considered a "resident" because he hunts too much out of province. Wow... that's rediculous.

diamonddave
10-21-2011, 01:54 PM
So did they refund his money then as well?? I would imagine he dropped more than most of us make in a year......

hunter49
10-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Only in BC.......thats all I can say.

echo
10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
where does he pay taxes !

happy honker
10-21-2011, 02:20 PM
wow...If you added up the days I work out of province in a year...I'd probably have use my partners as a "hunter hosts" lol.

I spend alot of time in hotels, but I only have 1 home. I'm an Albertan, pay my taxes, all that stuff...that would suck big time.

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
where does he pay taxes !

BC were is lives..

Grizzly Adams
10-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Only in BC.......thats all I can say.

Well, there WAS the time Ralph Klein won the lottery. :lol:

Grizz

Rockymtnx
10-21-2011, 03:02 PM
So, he lives in B.C, owns a business in B.C, has different offices in B.C, pays taxes in BC... but is not considered a "resident" because he hunts too much out of province. Wow... that's rediculous.

My thoughts exactly.

So does this mean he doesnt qualify for BC Health Care?

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 03:04 PM
My thoughts exactly.

So does this mean he doesnt qualify for BC Health Care?

X2

SHORTMAG
10-21-2011, 03:38 PM
BC = Bring Cash :D

DHPP
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
I guess the definition of resident must vary from province to province. In the Territories there are guys that live in camp 10 months of the year and they don't qualify as residents because they have a permanent address elsewhere. Their Health Care can even be through the GNWT and they can't hold a resident license. You would think that because his permanent residence is in BC it shouldn't matter that he is gone for any amount of time. If he was an astronaut and spent months at a space station where would he be a resident?

beerhunter
10-21-2011, 04:23 PM
For some reason I don't feel sorry for him:thinking-006:

coreya3212
10-21-2011, 04:25 PM
So I trust he won't be required to pay BC provincial income tax this year either.:thinking-006:

jim-bo
10-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Thats a pretty stupid technicality if you ask me... and I know full well that when he won that someone just began thinking of a way to have it revoked. I can understand their thinking though, hell he's a celebrity, why should he get the draw, the draws for guys like me, regular guys, not someone that has huge amounts of land all over the world that he can hunt on... this isn't fair, its for guys like me.

Could you imagine your neighbour blowing the whistle on you because you may work out of the province, and maybe happen to take a family vacation that would make you ineligible if you won...

1shotwade
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
If I were jim I would spend a little of my ching and shoot a bigger sheep just to prove a point! but I'm not jim nor do I have his ching! Ahh he's already shot a bigger 1 already anyway!

echo
10-21-2011, 05:24 PM
BC were is lives..

thats my point !!

Bearen09
10-21-2011, 05:46 PM
thats my point !!

Didn't catch that!!!!:sign0161:

echo
10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Didn't catch that!!!!:sign0161:

its all good, but thats a bum thing to do to someone!

southunter
10-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Do you suppose some other lucky hunter that doesn't have the ability to hunt the world will get coveted tag and get a hunt of a lifetime. To Jim it would only be another hunt.

I do understand why guys think it is unfair if he is a tax payer of BC though.

Straightgun
10-21-2011, 07:09 PM
shockey can kill a sheep bigger with his stare alone.

gonefishin
10-21-2011, 07:15 PM
shockey can kill a sheep bigger with his stare alone.

I think only Chuck Norris can do that.

hal53
10-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Do you suppose some other lucky hunter that doesn't have the ability to hunt the world will get coveted tag and get a hunt of a lifetime. To Jim it would only be another hunt.

I do understand why guys think it is unfair if he is a tax payer of BC though.
The "ability" to hunt the world???....wonder how he got that????....Nah! couldn't be hard work and busting your backside....no way!!!!!......

gonefishin
10-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Thats a pretty stupid technicality if you ask me... and I know full well that when he won that someone just began thinking of a way to have it revoked. I can understand their thinking though, hell he's a celebrity, why should he get the draw, the draws for guys like me, regular guys, not someone that has huge amounts of land all over the world that he can hunt on... this isn't fair, its for guys like me.Could you imagine your neighbour blowing the whistle on you because you may work out of the province, and maybe happen to take a family vacation that would make you ineligible if you won...

So, because he took a hobby he loved and became successful because of it, that lottery isn't for him? Who cares if he's got land everywhere and hunts all over the world, he's earned it... just like he's earned the right to hunt in his own province of residency. If a "guy like you" wanted that tag, they would either buy their ticket and play the odds like everyone else or put a whole lot of their hard earned money in and buy several tags to up their chances.

hal53
10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
So, because he took a hobby he loved and became successful because of it, that lottery isn't for him? Who cares if he's got land everywhere and hunts all over the world, he's earned it... just like he's earned the right to hunt in his own province of residency. If a "guy like you" wanted that tag, they would either buy their ticket and play the odds like everyone else or put a whole lot of their hard earned money in and buy several tags to up their chances.
Think you are missing JB's point????? he is agreeing....

Monashee
10-21-2011, 07:45 PM
I have nothing against Jim Shockey,his show is first class and he seems like a good guy BUT the Government sets rules for Residency in this Province,and if Jim doesn't qualify,then Jim doesn't qualify.Case closed.It's no different in any other Province.I have no idea what the ins and outs were,but if Jim had qualified as a Resident of BC he'd be hunting sheep right now.Obviously he didn't. Monashee

Ramblinman
10-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Jim needs to consult a lawyer.

hal53
10-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Jim needs to consult a lawyer.
It's B.C. ain't gonna happen....how many hoodlums have they charged after that Stanley Cup BS????....

1shotwade
10-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I wonder what jim would do with a hunt of a lifetime! Probably asks himself that on his plane rides to all over the world shooting every big game animal on earth!:thinking-006:

hal53
10-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I wonder what jim would do with a hunt of a lifetime! Probably asks himself that on his plane rides to all over the world shooting every big game animal on earth!:thinking-006:
I guess we can all be jealous...but...from what I understand he bought the ticket.....his name was drawn...so....the interesting thing here is....no complaints from him?????.....some clown on EI tracked his days running his business out of the Province???...give me a break...Kudus to Jim for being silent....a lot of guys could learn something from that....

1shotwade
10-21-2011, 08:15 PM
I guess we can all be jealous...but...from what I understand he bought the ticket.....his name was drawn...so....the interesting thing here is....no complaints from him?????.....some clown on EI tracked his days running his business out of the Province???...give me a break...Kudus to Jim for being silent....a lot of guys could learn something from that....

I am not jealous I was just wondering what a guy would do with this tag having pretty much done it all1 I would have atleast asked to donate it to person he chose! or let him raise money for something! i wonder if that was in the cards! or they just yanked it and didn't bring that up!

OL_JR
10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
If he is not legally a residant in BC then where?

gonefishin
10-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Think you are missing JB's point????? he is agreeing....

I agree... I guess I made that come out the wrong way. I wasn't arguing with JB, just elaborating on his post. My bad.

Bi Polar Bear
10-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Is it just me or is Shockey old news ! I don't care about his worldly escapades anymore the guy has the charisma and on camera charm of a picnic table IMO. He preaches about SCI only cause he saw an oportunity to become a world record holder in a less superior hunt club . IMO he has a huge ego and I think he's old news. Cody you are the S#@T you keep doing your thing. You have raised the bar for North American style hunting. PS how dare he say Todd is the best camera man he has ever had I think you broke his heart when you saw an oppurtunity and ventured out on your own.

jaylow?
10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
If he is not legally a residant in BC then where?

sask

d6dan
10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
sask

Only if he resides in Sask for 3 months prior to hunting.
In BC, its 6 months residency prior to hunting.
In Alberta its Primary residence.
Now none of these apply if your a member of law enforcement or the military.

I've talked to Jim once and personally,I think he's a stand up guy,but buying lots of lottery tickets doesn't do you any good if you don't meet those above requirements. I'm sure there's lots of outfitters in BC willing to accommodate him on a Great Sheep hunt.

sheephunter
10-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Jim's permanent residence is on Vancouver Island in BC as it has been for decades.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2011, 10:15 PM
It's totally chitty. Lots of guys travel for work. If you live in Sundre and work at a mine in the NWT on a 3 week in 1 week out rotation you shouldn't not be able to hunt at home because you only sleep at home 100 days a year :confused0024:

Ya live where ya live and if ya can't work there.......ya go to it. Especially in his business. The whole situation lacks common sense.

If I was him I'd have my lawyer :2mo5pow: someone out

tm

Serengeti Charters
10-22-2011, 10:17 PM
He lives in Maple Bay and has for as long as I've known his daughter who I am good friends with...pretty good people all around, although at the same time I do understand those who are against him getting it considering his hunting privileges around the world.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
at the same time I do understand those who are against him getting it considering his hunting privileges around the world.

Not me....shouldn't have anything to do with it imo. Every rich guy in the world could do what he does if they chose to. The hunting end of it.....not the business end.

If you win the lottery and are already filthy rich, they don't take it away from you.

tm

elkhunter11
10-22-2011, 10:38 PM
As much as he doesn't really need another opportunity to hunt, he bought the ticket and won it fair and square, so he should get the tag.

3Dshooter
10-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Again, if Shockey met the Residency requirements, he'd be hunting sheep. End of story. He's a non resident under the BC wildlife act. If he's been hunting any animal with a resident license/ hunter number and doesn't meet the requirements, then he could/ should be facing fines and criminal charges under the wildlife act.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2011, 11:25 PM
I just read the residency requirements. In a nutshell you have to spend 6months in province over the last year.

I can't wait to tell all my buddies that work a 2 in 2 out rotation at the mine that they are all poachers and they can't hunt in BC :scared:

Seriously tho.....they do not meet residency requirements. 14 days at work and their departure point is Edm so there is overnights prior to your rotation/weather delays/overtime etc. In the end....they spend more than 1/2 their time out of province. Kinda scary.

tm

uraarchr
10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
I ran into Jim here where I live this summer and he was a great guy to talk to.But Regs are regs and Bring Cash has plenty of them.And like someone said :some EI or Welfare bum is prob sittin in some cellar countin days.So b careful what you talk about!

Traps
10-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Rules are rules regardless of whether they are fair or not. Too bad but thats the way it is.

LCCFisherman
10-23-2011, 01:22 PM
If Shockey is a resident in SK we have a whole nother problem here....

huntinstuff
10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Jim lives in BC

Has for many, many years.

He travels alot. Doesnt mean his residency has changed.

GoodTimes
10-23-2011, 02:13 PM
We can form and voice our own opinions, the fact is we havnt heard either side of the argument really. Anybody got a link?

GoodTimes
10-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Just saw the link on page 1. Duh

echo
10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
JEALOUSY is all it boils down to my friends !!!!!

albertadave
10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
This has really got me scratching my head. I've never heard of a requirement to spend a certain number of nights/year in any particular province to still enjoy whatever benefits there are to being a resident of that province. I thought it was soley based on your permanent address, and where your taxes are paid?? My job is a two weeks on/two weeks off rotation. I work in the NWT for two weeks, then come home to Alberta for two weeks. If I took the time to add it up though, I'm sure with travel schedules, and the odd bit of overtime here and there, I actually spend more hours/year in the NWT than Alberta, yet I'm definately not eligable for NWT residency (I've looked into it). I hope if I'm ever lucky enough to win the minister's tag in Alberta, that no one starts tallying up how much time I actually spend here lol. I feel sorry for Jim though, if his name was pulled, he should get the tag, regardless of his occupation or celebrity status, because in reality, that's what this really boils down to.

top predator
10-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Is it just me or is Shockey old news ! I don't care about his worldly escapades anymore the guy has the charisma and on camera charm of a picnic table IMO. He preaches about SCI only cause he saw an oportunity to become a world record holder in a less superior hunt club . IMO he has a huge ego and I think he's old news. Cody you are the S#@T you keep doing your thing. You have raised the bar for North American style hunting. PS how dare he say Todd is the best camera man he has ever had I think you broke his heart when you saw an oppurtunity and ventured out on your own.

Ya, that was really a low blow

Bearen09
10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
This has really got me scratching my head. I've never heard of a requirement to spend a certain number of nights/year in any particular province to still enjoy whatever benefits there are to being a resident of that province. I thought it was soley based on your permanent address, and where your taxes are paid?? My job is a two weeks on/two weeks off rotation. I work in the NWT for two weeks, then come home to Alberta for two weeks. If I took the time to add it up though, I'm sure with travel schedules, and the odd bit of overtime here and there, I actually spend more hours/year in the NWT than Alberta, yet I'm definately not eligable for NWT residency (I've looked into it). I hope if I'm ever lucky enough to win the minister's tag in Alberta, that no one starts tallying up how much time I actually spend here lol. I feel sorry for Jim though, if his name was pulled, he should get the tag, regardless of his occupation or celebrity status, because in reality, that's what this really boils down to.

x2 that's why I put up the post.. I can't believe guys are bitching about him and saying they don't like him..That is not the point.. The point is he got ripped out and I feel for him, it would really suck..

westren
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
if theres any thing jim needs it isnt likely the ministers tag ,he,s already done it all and will do it all again.....does sound a bit lame though???

3Dshooter
10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
x2 that's why I put up the post.. I can't believe guys are bitching about him and saying they don't like him..That is not the point.. The point is he got ripped out and I feel for him, it would really suck..

...And I can't believe that guys are bitching about Jim NOT getting to keep the Premier's tag! IF and I'll say again,... IF Jim didn't meet BC Residency requirements, he should not be eligible to even buy an entry into the lottery!!! His name should have never been entered, never mind drawn! He didn't get ripped off, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Monashee
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
...And I can't believe that guys are bitching about Jim NOT getting to keep the Premier's tag! IF and I'll say again,... IF Jim didn't meet BC Residency requirements, he should not be eligible to even buy an entry into the lottery!!! His name should have never been entered, never mind drawn! He didn't get ripped off, this shouldn't even be an issue.Dead right,The Government of BC decided that he DID NOT meet Residency requirements.They issue the tag and also make the laws that determine Residency of this Province.The law is cut and dried,they don't just apply it to a few selected people,they apply it to everyone not just Jim.End of story. Monashee

220swifty
10-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Dead right,The Government of BC decided that he DID NOT meet Residency requirements.They issue the tag and also make the laws that determine Residency of this Province.The law is cut and dried,they don't just apply it to a few selected people,they apply it to everyone not just Jim.End of story. Monashee

So what you are saying is that everyone who has drawn any LEH tag in BC has an audit done on there sleeping arangements for the last 365 nights? I call bull on that.

If there is any truth to this story, BC needs to change the law to better reflect modern employment arrangements. I am certain that Jim Shockey is not the only guy in the province who hunts, yet fails to meet these ridiculous residency requirements.

3Dshooter
10-25-2011, 12:05 AM
So what you are saying is that everyone who has drawn any LEH tag in BC has an audit done on there sleeping arangements for the last 365 nights? I call bull on that.

If there is any truth to this story, BC needs to change the law to better reflect modern employment arrangements. I am certain that Jim Shockey is not the only guy in the province who hunts, yet fails to meet these ridiculous residency requirements.

Wow, did "Monashee" say that?

BC needs to change a lot regarding it's LEH draw system. Most would agree it is antiquated and needs updating. Clarity regarding residency requirements is definitely an issue.

I'm assuming there is more to this story than we know, and that could be as simple as; if there were any questions of Jim's residency, he may have been the one to decide to "drop it".

220swifty
10-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Essentially he did.
The law is cut and dried,they don't just apply it to a few selected people,they apply it to everyone not just Jim

All I am pointing out is that Jim Shockey was a victim of extreme scrutiny. Others in his situation would likely have gone on the hunt, shot a ram of a lifetime, and been patted on the back and congratulated for a job well done.

Monashee
10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Wow, did "Monashee" say that?

BC needs to change a lot regarding it's LEH draw system. Most would agree it is antiquated and needs updating. Clarity regarding residency requirements is definitely an issue.

I'm assuming there is more to this story than we know, and that could be as simple as; if there were any questions of Jim's residency, he may have been the one to decide to "drop it".That is very possible,Jim may have decided it wasn't worth pushing and just let it drop.Don't forget it's not just LEH we are talking about,you must satisfy Residency rules to purchase a BC Resident Hunting Licence.Every Province has this requirement,and to my knowledge they are not always the same.The cover of the LEH booklet says you MUST be a BC Resident to take part in the draw. I'm sure Jim thought he qualified,he would not have entered the draw otherwise. Monashee

3Dshooter
10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
That is very possible,Jim may have decided it wasn't worth pushing and just let it drop.Don't forget it's not just LEH we are talking about,you must satisfy Residency rules to purchase a BC Resident Hunting Licence.Every Province has this requirement,and to my knowledge they are not always the same.The cover of the LEH booklet says you MUST be a BC Resident to take part in the draw. I'm sure Jim thought he qualified,he would not have entered the draw otherwise. Monashee

True. I agree.

Bearen09
10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=3Dshooter;1131288]...And I can't believe that guys are bitching about Jim NOT getting to keep the Premier's tag! IF and I'll say again,... IF Jim didn't meet BC Residency requirements, he should not be eligible to even buy an entry into the lottery!!! His name should have never been entered, never mind drawn! He didn't get ripped off, this shouldn't even be an issue.[/QUOTE

Doodle30
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Essentially he did.

All I am pointing out is that Jim Shockey was a victim of extreme scrutiny. Others in his situation would likely have gone on the hunt, shot a ram of a lifetime, and been patted on the back and congratulated for a job well done.

I don't know that is extreme scurtiny. He would go through the same scrutiny as anyone else that had such a claim made against them. If a everyday Joe, that didn't qualify, won the draw and was subsequently ratted on, one would hope that he would suffer the same scrutiny. I agree that as a public figure Jim became a target of another citizen which is the nature of public life. Happens to many more people than Jim.

Maybe the laws need to be changed or defined more clearly and this probably proves that to be the case, but how can we expect any different decision given the current laws.

Imagine the outrage if the decision was "Sorry Jim you don"t qualify but we are going to make an acception in this case. Happy Hunting".

I'm a Jim fan (Love the Hal and Len Shows) but I don't see that he won this fair and square. I see that he mistakenly entered a draw that he didn't qualify.

I feel less sorry for Jim than I would if this is someone that would never have had this opportunity again in a lifetime.

Don K
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I feel really bad for him.

I'm sure he will be complaining about it for years with other PH's, sitting around a fire in Africa drinking port...

Sorry I don't see it the way some of you do. As an outfitter, PH, I think the odds should be stacked against him. He gets these tags and opportunities throughout the world, we don't.

Roast me if you want.

Ps
I feel really bad...
:snapoutofit:

walleyechaser
10-25-2011, 05:09 PM
It means nothing that he has hunted all around the world, ect. He lost it for no reason other than he is a famous hunter. I bet many hunters have won who do not meet the requirements in BC yet were never audited. Its Bs thats all

sheephunter
10-25-2011, 05:18 PM
. He gets these tags and opportunities throughout the world, we don't.

And whose fault is that...lol

Don K
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I get that 100%. If the guy worked at the diamond mine in the NWT and is home for 50 days a year so be it. He pays his taxes in BC and should have the right to hunt there. It's home and were his family is.

BUT I know outfitters in central an N BC, as well as the Yukon and it's different for them. They have tags, don't need to draw in great areas and can use tags of their own... My friend in N BC has exceptional stones, and I gaurantee if his hunters don't fill his tags he will if the right animal comes through. Unltd bou, goats, moose etc. etc. They have opportunities we don't. It's there job I get that, but these tags should be for the Everyman...

sheephunter
10-25-2011, 05:32 PM
You make your own opportunities..... :)

huntinstuff
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
If it were me, I would;

Find out who made the complaint. (foipp)
Write a very simple, factual account of the incident on my website. Very simple:

"I have purchased x amount of tickets over the past x number of years. Unfortunately this year I was away from home x amount of days. (insert complainants name) challenged this years draw, as I was the selected winner. Oh well, best of luck to the new winner"

Then again, that is just me......

But I would make sure, for no other reason, that everyone knew who complained.

hal53
10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
If it were me, I would;

Find out who made the complaint. (foipp)
Write a very simple, factual account of the incident on my website. Very simple:

"I have purchased x amount of tickets over the past x number of years. Unfortunately this year I was away from home x amount of days. (insert complainants name) challenged this years draw, as I was the selected winner. Oh well, best of luck to the new winner"

Then again, that is just me......

But I would make sure, for no other reason, that everyone knew who complained.
X2!!!!

1shotwade
10-25-2011, 06:26 PM
you make your own opportunities..... :)

x100!!

rielbowhunter
10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
JIM Shockey, rules! really , i just watch his last show, and i cant belive he's out there still on the trail , of this killer jaugar cat. the thing just killed all the dogs that where trying to track it! holy.... not many people would still be standing around looking for it.
But , I know he can shoot!!