PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasters?

Cranking Fisher
10-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Ive been using a spinning reel for a while now, and it works alright but i fish from shore so i want something that could cast farther.

Im looking for a low profile reel because this will be my first baitcaster. I want something under $100 and something that is smooth and doesnt backlash much.
I have my eyes on this one. What do you guys think?
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Speed_Spool_Casting_Reel/descpage-LSP.html

Are Spinncast Rods and Baitcast rods the same thing? I have a Spinncast Combo and i would like to use that rod with my baitcasting reel

npauls
10-22-2011, 05:43 PM
A spinning and baitcast rod have the spine on the opposite side of the rods so I wouldn't advise you to use a spinning rod with a baitcast reel.

You can pick up a decent baitcast rod at any fishing shop for a pretty good price. I have a berkley lightning rod shock for my baitcast reel and use it mostly for trolling spinners for walleyes. It does a good job and seems to handle heavy bottom bouncers with decent fish on it.

Cranking Fisher
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
i have a spincast rod, what has its holes on the top of the rod just like a bait caster.

Rick.
10-22-2011, 05:57 PM
I'd stick to something local. If you have trouble help is close at hand and no postage. I bought an Abu Garcia Black Max combo at the Fishin Hole and it was under a hundred and I'm reel happy with it. As with all level winds....your thumb is your best friend. They will give you birds nests until you learn how to use them. Best of luck. Rick.

marty1
10-22-2011, 06:00 PM
save your money their good fot trolling out here,you can load them up with heavy line,minimize line twist and their good for precision flipping bur thats it,you'll cast way farther with a spine rod biggest thing to remember is a full spool of line with the line weight appropriate to the gear your chucking. just my opinion

pikergolf
10-22-2011, 06:30 PM
The best bait casting system will not cast as far as the best set up spinning system, ever.

Wes_G
10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
It also depends on what you are fishign for and what you are casting. They are better to cast bigger stuff then smaller. I wouldnt use one if you are throwing small spoons and spinners for trout. You will backlash constantly

Blake
10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
The best bait casting system will not cast as far as the best set up spinning system, ever.

I disagree. Heavier lures will cast better and farther with a baitcasting outfit simply because the rods are rated for heavier lures and line. It's all about efficiency and control. A rod has to have a stiff enough butt section to efficiently throw the lure.
Try casting a 1 1/2 ounce lure with a rod rated for a 1/2 ounce and you'll see what I mean.
And while there are spinning rods that can handle heavier lures, they're not usually in the shops around here.
That said for casting lures under 3/4 ounce spinning is tough to beat.
Anything over 3/4 and I'm using a baitcaster

benamen
10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
i like the baitcaster for my heavy plugs. usingbraid in it and i still get a birdsnest if i don,t pay attention. if you set up for little chance of backlash it will reduce your casting distance.

pikergolf
10-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I disagree. Heavier lures will cast better and farther with a baitcasting outfit simply because the rods are rated for heavier lures and line. It's all about efficiency and control. A rod has to have a stiff enough butt section to efficiently throw the lure.
Try casting a 1 1/2 ounce lure with a rod rated for a 1/2 ounce and you'll see what I mean.
And while there are spinning rods that can handle heavier lures, they're not usually in the shops around here.
That said for casting lures under 3/4 ounce spinning is tough to beat.
Anything over 3/4 and I'm using a baitcaster

You need to get the proper rod for what you are doing, spinning rods can be had that are just as heavy as casting rods. Most people that use spinning gear for pike are so under gunned it not even funny. I know a guy that had a built a spinning rod that'll handle a couple of oz's easy. The way the line comes off a spinnig reel, it will always cast further, if you use the proper rod.

Geezle
10-23-2011, 08:43 AM
You need to get the proper rod for what you are doing, spinning rods can be had that are just as heavy as casting rods. Most people that use spinning gear for pike are so under gunned it not even funny. I know a guy that had a built a spinning rod that'll handle a couple of oz's easy. The way the line comes off a spinnig reel, it will always cast further, if you use the proper rod.

If it was as cut and dry as you say it is, then nobody would ever use baitcasters. From everything that you've said, it's more the rod than the reel that affects casting distance.

No matter what species you're going after you should try to be geared up properly for it...there's no question about that.

That all having been said I use both spinning and baitcast setups for many situations depending on how I'm feeling, and often I prefer the baitcasters. With a low profile baitcaster on a med-light rod I can pitch a 1/2 oz jig as far as I can with a med-light spinning setup, no question.

There's absolutely a bit of a learning curve with the baitcast reels, and it may take some getting used to before you can get the most out of the reel, but it's really tough to flat out say that one is better, or casts farther than the other. It has more to do with matching your rod/reel with the species and lures you're using, and the operator having the skill to make the most of their gear.

huntsfurfish
10-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Ive had all the line come off the spool on a baitcaster on a cast, but have never had that happen on a spinning reel.:)

line hangs on the edge of spinning reel spool as line gets down.

Cranking Fisher
10-23-2011, 10:26 AM
What are some of the advantages of having a baitcaster? from what you guys said, the baitcaster sounds pretty usless.

npauls
10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Ive had all the line come off the spool on a baitcaster on a cast, but have never had that happen on a spinning reel.:)

line hangs on the edge of spinning reel spool as line gets down.

You have to quit cheapin out and fill the whole spool with line.

You old guys and your nickle and diming. :fighting0030:

pikergolf
10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
What are some of the advantages of having a baitcaster? from what you guys said, the baitcaster sounds pretty usless.

Available in lower gear ratios ( more cranking power ), they used to be smoother but with the new tech. in spinning reels that has changed. Basically a tougher reel, any fishing for really tough fish is usually done with a bait caster, salt water, sturgeon etc. Again this is changing with advances in spinning reels. I have a couple of 20 yr old abu Garcia 5000 series reels, take good care of them, and they seem to get smoother with every trip. But I no longer have a boat, and if I was on shore and had to chuck pike spoons into the wind, it's gonna be a long day. They just can't do that as well as a spinning reel.

huntsfurfish
10-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Ha ha, Nate you brought up another good point in favour of Baitcasters.:sHa_shakeshout:

You can still cast pretty well with even half a spool, try that with a spinning reel.

Got to spread the money around Nate.;)

Geezle
10-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Available in lower gear ratios ( more cranking power ), they used to be smoother but with the new tech. in spinning reels that has changed. Basically a tougher reel, any fishing for really tough fish is usually done with a bait caster, salt water, sturgeon etc. Again this is changing with advances in spinning reels. I have a couple of 20 yr old abu Garcia 5000 series reels, take good care of them, and they seem to get smoother with every trip. But I no longer have a boat, and if I was on shore and had to chuck pike spoons into the wind, it's gonna be a long day. They just can't do that as well as a spinning reel.

Many of the low profile baitcasters are also available in higher gear ratios - like the Quantums with the 7:1 gearing so you can reel back your lures in a hurry. Great for ripping lures past big pike :)

As somebody else mentioned, when you get half way down your spool with a baitcaster you don't run into issues with the line coming off the lip of the reel like you would a spinning outfit.

Baitcast reels also won't give you wind knots like some spinning reels can.

In the end, both spinning reels and baitcast reels are different ways of doing the same job. Both have their strengths and drawbacks, and a lot of it just comes down to personal preference. I like my baitcasters for some situations but not others, so I change things up quite a bit.

The only way to know if it's really for you or not is to try one and see what you think of it for yourself :)

bisonhunter
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

I have a G-Loomis heavy weight 10'6" rod with a shimano calcutta 700 on it that begs to differ.