PDA

View Full Version : keep ice shack at lake / rules and regulations

Eddy62
10-22-2011, 07:32 PM
before i phone f and w or who ever i need to call i thought i would ask online first and see if anyone can answer this question. i am building a ice fishing shack that will be portable but if i choose too can i leave it on the ice..

1 / do i need to register this shack just so f and w knows whos shack this is

2/ do i need to mark the outside with info

3 / can i do this period and if i can ,is it only certain lakes or all

4 / if i can do this can i lock the door?

thanks,,,later

npauls
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
You don't need to have anything on the shack and yes you can lock the door but be prepared to have it vandalized and stuff stolen if you do leave it out there.

I would say you should put your info on it so that people can contact you if something does happen to it.

You can leave it on any lake that is in the regulations as open as far as I know.

Eddy62
10-22-2011, 07:55 PM
You don't need to have anything on the shack and yes you can lock the door but be prepared to have it vandalized and stuff stolen if you do leave it out there.

I would say you should put your info on it so that people can contact you if something does happen to it.

You can leave it on any lake that is in the regulations as open as far as I know.

I would leave 0 in the shack anyways i am buiding this shack with another carpenter in my shop for this year and would have no probs with other anglers using it but i am concerned about damage from non respecting people. just be nice not to take apart everytime i go out this season..

npauls
10-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I would say that you should leave it open and make a sign on the door with all your info and a note saying that if you would like to use the shack to please call and ask nicely or something to that effect.

Maybe you could install a trail cam in the shack somewhere that could monitor it for you so that you will know who is using it and who has phone to use it on that certain day. It will also help if someone vandalizes the interior.

Crusty
10-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Trail Cam. That's the answer.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

GoodTimes
10-23-2011, 02:42 PM
It will also help if someone vandalizes the interior.

Excellent idea. Unless he happens to be one of the very rare vandals that also dabbles in theft. :snapoutofit:

npauls
10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Excellent idea. Unless he happens to be one of the very rare vandals that also dabbles in theft. :snapoutofit:

You could frame the camera in to somewhere so that it isn't spotted so easy. Make all 4 corners look the same so it isn't noticed as easily.

HunterDave
10-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't know if it's a requirement but...........If you don't have to put contact info on the shack how do they know who to contact and charge for removal if it's required in the spring? Could there possibly be municipality or county bylaws requiring it? I'm just sayin'..............

npauls
10-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think there is any rule for contact info. That is why there is such a problem around the end of ice season.

The officers have to getting out on rotting ice to drag off shacks that people just decided to leave out there. I seen a shack this year that was sinking in the ice pretty good and the officers had a couple ropes hooked to it trying to get it out. I think the bottom half ended up in the lake and the top half ended up being burned on shore. I have also seen shacks on shore that the officers have had to drag off and just leave them parked off to the side so that the owner can pick it up. It was still sitting there the last time I fished that lake this summer.

HunterDave
10-23-2011, 05:56 PM
These are the rules in ONTARIO......just so I don't confuse anyone. :)

If you don't have your shack off of the lake by a certain date they'll take it off for you and send you a bill for doing it. Damage to the shack is not their responsibility so they are a little rougher on it than you would be. If shacks are a problem in the spring I don't know why they wouldn't implement a system like this in Alberta.

"Ice Hut Registration

Ice fishing huts must be registered if they are being used in the following Fisheries Management Zones, and must be removed by the dates indicated below. To register an ice fishing hut contact your local MNR office. Once registered, an ice fishing hut can be used anywhere in Ontario.

Ice hut registration numbers must be at least 6.3 cm (2.5 in.) in height and clearly displayed on the outside of the hut."

Redfrog
10-23-2011, 06:41 PM

If you don't have your shack off of the lake by a certain date they'll take it off for you and send you a bill for doing it. Damage to the shack is not their responsibility so they are a little rougher on it than you would be. If shacks are a problem in the spring I don't know why they wouldn't implement a system like this in Alberta.

"Ice Hut Registration

Ice fishing huts must be registered if they are being used in the following Fisheries Management Zones, and must be removed by the dates indicated below. To register an ice fishing hut contact your local MNR office. Once registered, an ice fishing hut can be used anywhere in Ontario.

Ice hut registration numbers must be at least 6.3 cm (2.5 in.) in height and clearly displayed on the outside of the hut."

Ontario can never seem to get it right. Register ice shacks????? Gimme a break, ice shacks don't kill people, fisherman catching some one trashing their ice hut kill people.:thinking-006:
Well I guess if it saves one life...................

Sundancefisher
10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
before i phone f and w or who ever i need to call i thought i would ask online first and see if anyone can answer this question. i am building a ice fishing shack that will be portable but if i choose too can i leave it on the ice..

1 / do i need to register this shack just so f and w knows whos shack this is

2/ do i need to mark the outside with info

3 / can i do this period and if i can ,is it only certain lakes or all

4 / if i can do this can i lock the door?

thanks,,,later

I would suggest putting a sign up on the unlocked door that says:

"Fishermen are Friends...friends share and friends looking after their friends stuff. Therefore...you are my friend. Please feel free to use my home on the ice...and after you are done clean up. If you see any problems...please call 403-555-5555."

HunterDave
10-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Ontario can never seem to get it right. Register ice shacks????? Gimme a break, ice shacks don't kill people, fisherman catching some one trashing their ice hut kill people.:thinking-006:
Well I guess if it saves one life...................

I wasn't thinking about people getting killed RF but you make a good point. :lol:

My thoughts were more along the lines of what the F&W fellas could be doing instead of removing ice shacks.

Eddy62
10-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I would suggest putting a sign up on the unlocked door that says:

"Fishermen are Friends...friends share and friends looking after their friends stuff. Therefore...you are my friend. Please feel free to use my home on the ice...and after you are done clean up. If you see any problems...please call 403-555-5555."

thats an awesome statement hope you dont mind if i use it..i do want to mark the shack as i want to be responsible for it as it is mine,nate is right about people leaving shacks behind and f and w having to pull off lake. that wont happen with me. as for abuse ,what can i do i will post sign and hope for best.i am building this hut on a hinge system and i can have it down in 30 minutes max. i will get our painter at work to stencil that statement on some ply so it will hold up for the winter txs sundancefisher....

horsetrader
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM

"Ice Hut Registration

Icefished many years in Ontario the registration works good if a shack does not have a reg. number it gets yanked off the ice immediately. there is an off date the shacks a can not be left overnight but you can still use them while fishing till ice off time. Definitely think a reg. law would be an asset here.

Eddy62
10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Icefished many years in Ontario the registration works good if a shack does not have a reg. number it gets yanked off the ice immediately. there is an off date the shacks a can not be left overnight but you can still use them while fishing till ice off time. Definitely think a reg. law would be an asset here.

i would have no probs registering my shack. i would even pay a small price for a permit if need be.....

horsetrader
10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
i would have no probs registering my shack. i would even pay a small price for a permit if need be.....

I agree I was surprised when I found that there was no reg. here and even more surprised when I seen the number of shacks still on the ice late in the season. There is no charge in Ont. the amount of money saved not to mention the safety of F-W officers by not having to pull off shacks and dispose of them more then makes up the cost. Something that outdoor groups should lobby for.

yardape
10-24-2011, 10:49 AM
last spring there was a ice shack left on lesser slave lake after the end of the season F and W used a helicopter and burnt the shack on the ice as nobody took it of

Stewie
10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
As long as you have it of before the ice goes your fine...

I wouldnt bother locking it... gives people the idea there is something in there and they will knock off your lock... I have one infront of my cabin... I leave it unlocked and havent had any issues...

make sure you paint it a colour other than white... in snowy / foggy days or at night it can be hard for guys on sleds to see...

HunterDave
10-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's a sign that's used to post private land that owners don't mind people using. I think that people will understand its intent. SRD might even have the signs. :)

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/lifetimepassion/userespectlogo.gif