PDA

View Full Version : overnight on the ice in a flip over...?

prosnowsk8er
10-23-2011, 05:06 AM
anyone ever spend the night on the ice in a flip over?
if so how was it and any advice,

already have a big buddy...

WayneChristie
10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
spent most of a few nights in a tent, didnt sleep til I got home tho. I have caught a few z's sleeping on the rubber mat a couple times. piece of advice, dont chug 2 big energy drinks before you drive home, if you plan on sleeping in the next 12 hours though! :angry3:

marty1
10-23-2011, 11:37 AM
a buddy and i pick a spot every year and spend a couple of nights out on the ice,is it smart probably not. cover the floor with plywood and sleep up off the ground in a cot.If u must have a heater you need a hole at the bottom for the gas can escape a hole-vent open as well for fresh air.But if your dressed well with a decent sleeping bag ive sleeped through -35 up in calling lake last year but well worth it.I REALLY DON'T THINK THE HEATER SHOULD BE ON WHILE SLEEPING THEIRS A FINE LINE IN A SMALL SPACE LIKE THAT.FISH SAFE

braxxtonn
10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
ive slept a few nights in one of them, Cot, with warm gear and ur good to go.

Who Da Fisherman
10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Little more work floor, wood stove, bunks in the one and table for poker in the other.

Kokanee9
10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Carbon monoxide detectors are a good idea inside the enclosed areas like ice fishing tents. Even during the day when people are awake and fishing, there should be 1 inside the tent. Sleepiness is one of the first signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and if there is no bite happening, sometimes it's not too hard to nod off. They can also be used inside the house year round when not out on the ice with you.

prosnowsk8er
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
ya i was definatly planning to include one of those in my tent this year, thanks for the tips guys!

ronnyboy
10-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I agree with marty1

Flyfisher87
10-26-2011, 06:34 AM
I have a heater in the tent with me when I am fishing. In agreeance with everyone on this thread, it is of vital importance to allow some fresh air in. My tent has a hard plastic floor,so I unzip the door for a while. It almost got me in trouble once. Heaters are great to have, but the utmost caution must be used with them. Great idea on the CO detector. Will have to put one in there myself.

sco22
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I have done it a few times. I bring a couple of 2 foot piece of 1" pvc and put one underneath the tent flap the corner that I set the heater in and one on the other side. This definately keeps it cooler, but also alive as it allows for fresh air circulating. The CO detector is critical too. I also bring a couple of big wool blankets to put down underneath the cots. This tends to keep the cool of the ice down well below the cot.

Make sure the tent is good and anchored in - had one side blow up one year. Nothing like securing your belongings at 3:45 am in the dark half asleep.

Cheers.

Jiffy10
10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I know a guy .....

( this is how all great storys start. But anyways... )

My buddy back in Sask. used to take his two boys out overnight in their
shack. They had a typical ice shack that resembles the hard top trailer.
They had a wood stove in it and they used to take a half dozen lumps
of coal with them and toss on in the fire every once in awhile. It worked
very well. The coal had enough heat for it for a slow long burn.
Just a hint. He double tarped the cover of the shack and that made a
world of difference. The extra layer did the insulation trick .

One more thing,,,,, their cabin was only 200 yards away but the
boys thought they were " living it large " by staying out all night.

They never had to bail out in the middle of the night and seek
refuge in their own beds.

Kind of a cool thing to do.....