PDA

View Full Version : im ready for ice out

theduke
01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
i dunno bout u guys but im getting bored of the hard water stuff and ready for the streams and rivers that are always good to me every year any one else feel this way

Mish
01-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Not me...this is my first year ice fishing and I'm wondering why I spent all that time fishing in open water. I love ice fishing.

theduke
01-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Not me...this is my first year ice fishing and I'm wondering why I spent all that time fishing in open water. I love ice fishing.

dont get me wrong mish i love icefishing but as a fly fishermen u kinda get that itch like in the off season of hunting lol something bout casting a fly in open water

Mish
01-26-2008, 11:39 PM
It's probably because I haven't tried fly fishing yet. :lol:

theduke
01-26-2008, 11:45 PM
It's probably because I haven't tried fly fishing yet. :lol:

lol thats it youll be hooked

SNAPFisher
01-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Duke, I'm with you. I dream of warmer days, trips to Jasper and the Eastern slope rivers. Ice fishing...something to pass the time with until it is gone.

jrs
01-27-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't even have the fly fishing itch yet. I guess ice fishing season still seems limited as fly fishing ran from mid-late-April to late October for me last year. Need to get more ice fishing in before the thaw hits. The creeks i want to fish don't open up till June 15th anyway. Need to get me a few more burbot still! Before fly fishing I'm looking forward to some early season pike action, last spring the warm up was delayed and i had a few incredible days of pike after pike action in the first week of the season.

CrowsnestGuy
01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
dont get me wrong mish i love icefishing but as a fly fishermen u kinda get that itch like in the off season of hunting lol something bout casting a fly in open water

Ya i am itching for open water already too. Have some flies tied and just waiting

Alberta Bigbore
01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
im ready for hunting season, LOL. or at least late summer/fall fishing:D

TundraBuck
01-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I LOVE ice fishing. I love hunting too. I hate the transition between ice out and open water season, because there is nothing really to do. At least in the fall when you can't open water fish but there is not yet enough ice, you can hunt.
My favorites are
Ice fishing
Hunting
Flyfishing

TundraBuck
01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't even have the fly fishing itch yet. I guess ice fishing season still seems limited as fly fishing ran from mid-late-April to late October for me last year. Need to get more ice fishing in before the thaw hits. The creeks i want to fish don't open up till June 15th anyway. Need to get me a few more burbot still! Before fly fishing I'm looking forward to some early season pike action, last spring the warm up was delayed and i had a few incredible days of pike after pike action in the first week of the season.

Hey jrs. don't overlook flyfishing for pike, just started last year as soon as Gull and Sylvan opened, cruise shallow look in the weedbeds for pike sitting in them. As soon as you spot one cast that streamer and hold on for dear life.

Sage
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I love the Ice fishing season the longer the Ice is on the happier I am, don't get me wrong I love summer fishing but I fish more in the winter more.;)

Mish
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I love the Ice fishing season the longer the Ice is on the happier I am, don't get me wrong I love summer fishing but I fish more in the winter more.;)

Ditto :)

theduke
01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
lol this weather doesnt help the open water itch lol, and it doesnt even help the fishing itch its to damn cold to go anywhere

TundraBuck
01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I went out today for 2 hours. I sat in my truck for an hour before I left. I couldn't feel a goddamn thing.

Cowtown guy
01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I have to agree with missing open water. I have been tying more walleye rigs and I just can't seem to have spring get here soon enough. Nothing beats pulling up big Walleye's for me. Except maybe big Pike. Or maybe big Rainbows. Or maybe a big...:lol:
I guess I am not the only one.

TundraBuck
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
You're right nothing beats pulling up big fish.. through an ice hole that is!! :D

theduke
01-28-2008, 12:17 AM
You're right nothing beats pulling up big fish.. through an ice hole that is!! :D

i disagree nothing better then fighting a big pike in open water, nuttin better then fight anything big in open water

Drano
01-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Either one will do, it is still relaxing to get out ...

wildman
01-28-2008, 09:15 AM
you guys are NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
the two best months of fishing are starting soon!!!!!!
feb and march RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

elk404
01-28-2008, 09:19 AM
I cant wait for early spring i want to get back out on the bow and cast a few flys :)

brett01
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
im itching for Hunting Season already. haha well i guess bear aint to far way. I could take or leave the ice. I'm not one of you Hard core whitefish/ burbot fisherman who will only fish that species. (sorry i know a few) lol. I'm still a trout fan and can't wait to get out on the open creeks and what not. But anyway good luck,

Chris K
01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
I love to icefish, but can't wait until spring to punch down the throttle and go fishing. It will be really nice to head to BC at the end of April and catch a pile of bass this spring :) while breaking in the new boat. Chris K

Waxy
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I used to love winter - not any more.

I'm itching for ice out like you wouldn't believe, May long can't get here fast enough. :D

Waxy

gonefishin
01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I used to love winter - not any more.

X2! After today, I am ready for some warmth.

KyleM
01-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I hear ya on todays BS

Did anyone else play that "which part of my truck will break first"
game.

Piston rings on dry cylinder walls, alternator, starter, heater........they were all screaming this morning.

When it hits -5 Im going golfing in shorts and a T

theduke
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I hear ya on todays BS

Did anyone else play that "which part of my truck will break first"
game.

Piston rings on dry cylinder walls, alternator, starter, heater........they were all screaming this morning.

When it hits -5 Im going golfing in shorts and a T

i played the same game today too, not fun hearing ur truck make noises like that

~Octane~
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
What Wild-man said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting 11 months to slay in feb and march again...i dont care what the weathers like:lol: Gotta love the whitefish and burbot frenzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course the huge pike and jumbo perch are a bonus too:D Gull is absolutely insane for this!!!

wildman
01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
yup!!!
NUTS!!!!!!
all y'all anti-ice guys!!!!
NUTS!!!!!!!! WACKO!!!!!!

curtis_rak
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I agree withthe original topic, I'm pretty much ready for May 18 as well.

Part of my problem is that I watch World Fishing Network probably 90% of the time and most of the shows are open water. So now I have the bug to launch my boat REALLY badly.

Although I love to ice fish, and do it a fair amount, I think that open water fishing is definately more "active" than ice fishing. Plus, you can wear t-shirts and flipflops.

Or, maybe its just the fact that its -45 outside with the windchill that is making me say all of this.... who knows.