PDA

View Full Version : Fixing fly line

Runnyd
10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
What's the best way to fix a nick in a fly line?

I've heard tying a nail knot around it and using zap a gap to using flex-zap glue which i can't find in Calgary.

Suggestions?

0liver
10-25-2011, 11:34 AM
cut it at the nic, problem solved.

Dak1138
10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
cut it at the nic, problem solved.

I am thinking that may ruin the taper of the line depending on where it is damaged.

Runnyd
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
It's a tapered line so cutting it at the nick is not an option.

Darren N
10-25-2011, 01:46 PM
How far into your line are you nicked?

laut
10-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Put on a new set of fly line !! Important if you are going after bigger fish or salt water fish.

commieboy
10-25-2011, 09:48 PM
If it's just a small surface nick and you find the line is sinking, I do the following:

1. Let the line dry.

2. Dip the nick in a bit of Aquaseal (do about a 1 cm portion, but don't get too thick).

3. Get some teflon plumbing tape. This stuff is really neat. If you take it off the roll and pull in opposite direction from the sides, it will easily rip apart. If you pull it along the length, it will stretch, but it's really hard to break. When you pull it off the roll, cut about 2 cm worth. While the Aquaseal is still wet, roll the tape (in the length wise direction) over the area.

You might want to practice a bit first. The tape is not really tape in the conventional sense of being adhesive. It's just a piece of fabric, really. But it's very thin, and it tends to cling to your fingers. I find it works best if you lay the tape piece flat, then roll your line in to it. The Aquaseal will pick it up and you get a more even wrap.

Once the tape is on, roll it between your fingers with a lot of pressure. This stuff flattens out quite nicely, even if you didn't get a really tight wrap.

4. Once the tape is on and pressed tightly, treat again with aquaseal, making sure to treat beyond the tape perimeter. Again, don't go too thick with the Aquaseal. Press it in so it does bead up.

5. Let dry.

6. Go fishing.

Now, it does affect the flexibility of the line in the repaired portion, but I haven't found that it makes a significant difference. I would also rather deal with a bit of imperfection than spend $90 on a new line when an older one can still be made to work.

If it's a deeper nick and you're worried about the line breaking, then do the nail knot method and use Aquaseal instead of Zap-A-Gap.

I hope that helps.

npauls
10-26-2011, 12:35 AM
How far down the fly line is it? What type of taper is it? If it isn't to far down you should have no problem cutting the line and if it is a double taper you should be able to flip your line around and use the opposite side.

Rick.
10-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I ground a brand new line into some rip rap once and had one real good nick in it. What I did was take it into Russel's and they put several drops of Zap a Gap on the spot. One drop, let it dry, another drop etc. Worked like a darn and the line went on to last several years (and hundreds of monster trout, LOL) and never a problem at the repair site. Rick.

Runnyd
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
It's about 14' down the line.

Thanks all for suggestions. I like the Teflon tape idea. I'll take it to BPS to see what they have to say. Doubt if they'll replace it but doesn't hurt to ask.

Kingfisher
10-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I doubt very much that BPS will do anything for you.

I have used the Zap a gap and put on a drop at a time until it is built up. That will be fine. I have also used crazy glue and done the same thing. Although the crazy glue make that spot much harder and didn't last as long as the zap a gap.

Rob