PDA

View Full Version : Pike

Gust
10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
70cm Pike today were biting non-stop from 8:30am-11:00am on big smelts, 6 inches off the bottom in 12 FOW, slow on the take (had to feed out line) but fought like crazed trout. Then the bite stopped. then the 100cm's took over from 1:00pm-4:00pm but in 15-20 FOW, same set-up. Lake Whiters were visible from shore in about 5 FOW (but I left my flybox at home) and were not interested in anything I offered them but they sure liked backswimmers and the tiniest water critters, and I mean tiny black things about 1mmx1mm.
It was cold and sunny and perfect.

BeeGuy
10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Shore fishin or in a boat?

Which lake?

Gust
10-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Shore fishin or in a boat?

Which lake?

Shore. Also caught a big burbot. Ice is starting on small ponds and standing irrigation canals and neither sun nor wind was budging it.

Please please please be windy and cold with no snow till X-mass!!!

Speckle55
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Grats sounds like fun!! just remember your camera and fly box next time... lol

Gust
10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I should have a camera but not for the fish but the scenery,,, there were 5 weather systems forming and falling, truly stunning,,, I love the prairies for the big picture view. I tend to turn off the electronics when out there, the most technical thing I do besides fishing is gnaw on kielbasa.

Thundercatcher
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
what lake?

Gust
10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
what lake?

A southern one but I think that they're getting slower as the water gets colder,, strange thing though, last year at this time they were caught in 6 fow. spoons and cranks got nary a chaser.

Eddy62
10-25-2011, 10:28 PM
A southern one but I think that they're getting slower as the water gets colder,, strange thing though, last year at this time they were caught in 6 fow. spoons and cranks got nary a chaser.

why even open a thread if you wont tell anybody what lake your at? next guy on my ignore list.... another keyboard fisherman................................

BeeGuy
10-25-2011, 10:33 PM
why even open a thread if you wont tell anybody what lake your at? next guy on my ignore list.... another keyboard fisherman................................

Does that mean you're willing to donate some of your spots?

Another keyboard critic?

slivers86
10-25-2011, 10:38 PM

wow... :snapoutofit:

slivers86
10-25-2011, 10:40 PM
70cm Pike today were biting non-stop from 8:30am-11:00am on big smelts, 6 inches off the bottom in 12 FOW, slow on the take (had to feed out line) but fought like crazed trout. Then the bite stopped. then the 100cm's took over from 1:00pm-4:00pm but in 15-20 FOW, same set-up. Lake Whiters were visible from shore in about 5 FOW (but I left my flybox at home) and were not interested in anything I offered them but they sure liked backswimmers and the tiniest water critters, and I mean tiny black things about 1mmx1mm.
It was cold and sunny and perfect.

Thanks for sharing buddy, sounds like you had a good day. Good to know what to bring for those lake days. I might head out in the next few days for a few last stream/river days and than will be hitting the lakes as well until winter hits! Keep goin buddy! Lake x for the win!

commieboy
10-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Gustav has been a constant source of information on this board, and has shared many spots with people on this forum. His contributions are well noted by myself and I'm sure by others. This one time he decides to keep a bit of information to himself and you decide to pick him apart for it? Bad form.

Kokanee9
10-25-2011, 10:53 PM
We went out as well and found the same. Spoons, cranks, deep divers were a no go. We found them in 25-14 ft of water and at the bottom and side of a med slope. Water was 54deg and windy. Only boat on the water. The odd snow flake this morning.

horsetrader
10-25-2011, 11:24 PM

I agree what is the sense of coming on to an information forum and not give information no one is asking for a way point just a lake GEEEZE bet you didn't share your toys as a child either.

huntsfurfish
10-26-2011, 06:25 AM
No need to know which lake.

Good fishing on most lakes at this time of year.

For those that need the name of the lake - one word - lazy

And thanks for posting GM, guess they dont appriciate what info you did post!

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 07:35 AM
No need to know which lake.

Good fishing on most lakes at this time of year.

For those that need the name of the lake - one word - lazy

And thanks for posting GM, guess they dont appriciate what info you did post!

WHAT information did he post I CAUGHT FISH ........D'OH

mikeo2
10-26-2011, 08:11 AM
[/COLOR]

WHAT information did he post I CAUGHT FISH ........D'OH

Ever notice theres never been a picture of any said fish.

Lefty-Canuck
10-26-2011, 08:17 AM

You could not be more wrong about GM.....all I can say is that he is more generous with "spots" than almost anyone I know. As a sportsman and outdoorsmen keeping a few cards close to you is never a bad thing....

He is basically sharing that the fish are biting right now, and to get out there and find em......he is telling you what he is using and the depth of water to fish in......thats a lot more than other people will give away.

....... next thing you know you will ask him to pick you up, supply gas, bait, lunch, equipment and bait your (his) hooks for you :)

LC

Geezle
10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Ever notice theres never been a picture of any said fish.

I don't blame anybody for not posting pics on here...I hardly post pics myself anymore.

Kokanee9
10-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Gus has already given enough info in his post that anyone could apply to go out and catch fish. I don't know why people want specific locations. Anyone half serious about fishing could apply what he has put down.

1)SOUTHERN RESERVOIR
2)LARGE SMELTS
3)GET OUT THERE BEFORE 08:30

The only thing he didn't say was that he won't hold someones hand while he leads them to the shore and puts bait on their hook and casts out before handing them their rod.

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Gus has already given enough info in his post that anyone could apply to go out and catch fish. I don't know why people want specific locations. Anyone half serious about fishing could apply what he has put down.

1)SOUTHERN RESERVOIR
2)LARGE SMELTS
3)GET OUT THERE BEFORE 08:30

The only thing he didn't say was that he won't hold someones hand while he leads them to the shore and puts bait on their hook and casts out before handing them their rod.

He didn't say southern reservoir but thanks for letting it slip ...........

tacklerunner
10-26-2011, 09:20 AM

There's one spot he can still take his elderly Dad to with easy access and get into action from shore. They've been going there for decades. Why would he share it with the world? Funny thing is, I appreciate Gus's info and he actually took me to that spot once... weird how that works. There's a million other places to fish with the same results.

So... critics should ignore his tips in this thread and toss big spoons at them in either 5 or 30 FOW!?! :snapoutofit:

jeprli
10-26-2011, 09:28 AM
If anybody follows what GM has posted in the past, you should know his favorite two places to go.

GM is a top notch guy. If he posts exact places he gets flamed, if he doesn't he gets flamed. I've met GM a few times on glenmore res and both him and his dad are very easy going guys. If i only had the time to fish some of places they reccomended i'd be a happy camper. No need to ruin a perfectly good thred.

Winch101
10-26-2011, 09:42 AM
When I was young and we heard about a guy having luck fishing or hunting
we would go to his place about 5 am and wait for him to leave and follow him to the honey hole ...Now I think that took iniative , not badgering him on the net to give up his spot ....pls.

There was a guy on here a number of years ago who posted the most amazing hunting stories , his mistake was scanning a mag. pic on here
as one of his own......Turned out the guy lived in a batchelor apt. in woodbine and didnt own a gun or hunt . Just read the mags . and made the rest up....

It is the internet anything is possible , take it for what its worth and admit
your on here cause TV sucks.

I would post about the fabulous mallard hunt another AO member and I had
on the weekend but this is the fishing thread.

Oh, and Gustav can you PM me your adress so I can send a Xmas card...

W101

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
There's one spot he can still take his elderly Dad to with easy access and get into action from shore. They've been going there for decades. Why would he share it with the world? Funny thing is, I appreciate Gus's info and he actually took me to that spot once... weird how that works. There's a million other places to fish with the same results.

So... critics should ignore his tips in this thread and toss big spoons at them in either 5 or 30 FOW!?! :snapoutofit:

Anyone that fishes pike or muskie knows this time of year you don't throw big spoons. Water temp is down your throwing slower soft bodys or dead sticking bait. So you are right we should thank him for his tips :snapoutofit:

outwalking
10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a blast!

What do you mean when you say they "were slow on the take, had to feed out line"?

outwalking
10-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Anyone that fishes pike or muskie knows this time of year you don't throw big spoons. Water temp is down your throwing slower soft bodys or dead sticking bait. So you are right we should thank him for his tips :snapoutofit:

See, I didn't know that, about the spoons :)

wheresthefish
10-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Anyone want to hold my hand, lead me to the shore, put bait on my hook, cast it out, hand me the rod, wait for me to reel it in, re-bait if needed, cast it for me...

Just kidding....

or am I ???

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
See, I didn't know that, about the spoons :)

It is a well kept secret just like the lake.....ooops ....reservoir's name. Now that i've release the secret I must go in to hiding or I will be killed. Hmmmm who do you contact for witness relocation :)

Gust
10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
I wanted to edit something yesterday,, and some like Lefty summed it up,, the post is a guage,,, my Dad wants to go out Thursday and earlier to an old favorite hole of his on Travers and test the depth part.

It's no secret where we fish, like jepreli said "just read GM back threads". If it looks like you are a newbie and actually get out there trying and exploring and seem sincere, you get a PM with one or several spots, lures depths and where to cast, structure, the whole shabang. The first time I came on AO then chose to go off was due to lazy thankless twits and flamers,, I did the cubb/travers thing with a different body of water and like chubb had to pull the thread.

As far as taking pictures, like I said, electronics are off, I don't want to hear beeps and have to be nursing an item when my hands are grubby, I'll sometimes turn on the cameraphone but it needs to be very worthwhile,, I'm not a documentary film maker, I'm out fishing with my Dad, who is half blind, arthitic in his casting arm, 82 and the best fishing partner I know and has stories about fishing that are funny as hell.

To Outwalking; the fish are in that energy conservation part of the year,, they'll nose the bait, shovel it around a bit, take a nibble -at which point and even if your rod starts to bend- you open the bail and hand feed the line and the line will for a short moment will run on it's own and stop, the inhale, pick up rod with slack, click the bale, slowly reel up slack and bobs your uncle. What's nice is that the inhales are front of the mouth pending how you rig your bait,, thus providing for an awesome fight. The burb actually fought like a chunky walleye.

And if you're coming on here to yank chains and get some old chip off your shoulder from another unrelated thread, fine, it's entertainment, go atter, it's expected.

Gust
10-26-2011, 01:02 PM

You know, I know, but new fisherfolk may not, it's info for the masses,,, I'll still chuck lures to keep active in the big chill.

Gust
10-26-2011, 01:16 PM

It's an info page but ignore away or not. We don't have the luxury that the Northern province has and must be careful on sharing too many spots or lakes, even if the lake has 3 fishermen a day, that's big pressure on the resource,,, have you been to Travers on a long weekend??.

My very first post here was under a different moniker, and that thread garnered 6,000 views in 4 days and was possibly the most hateful thread going at the time,,, also I gave info that non-members obviously read and that once clean spot ended up being cleaned by my Dad and I to the tune of 100+ butts, broken glass, soiled diaper and misc garbage,, it was embarassing to say the least, a whole garbage bag. The southern rez we frequent was cleaned by us a few weeks back and we still didn't get everything, it looked like someone else took care of a bit more and there's still more to haul.

If someone posts that they are catching rainbow or walleye or whites, we don't need to know where, or I don't, but I do like to hear the pattern change in feeding. So my point is, is that it's best to keep a Lake X factor going if you want to enjoy the resource in this Internet age.

Lefty-Canuck
10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
X2 What Gus said above.....

No slight on anyone but I don't share my spots very much either. If I get to know you and you are decent and I think we can fish together then yah you will know where I fish.

If someone comes in here new to the community and wants a "free list" of where I go and what I do when I get there sorry....I am a nice guy, just not that nice....

It really isn't too hard to do some leg work, use google and find some decent places to fish both from shore or from boat. The issue is pressure....I show/tell one guy a quiet spot, he does the same with 2 buddies, then so on and so forth and exponentially the pressure increases.....then the next time I want to hit "my" spot with my kids, I have to compete for a parking spot.

I was in a store once and engaged in a conversation with some fellow fisherman about pike and using the fly. I shared a photo of a good one and the first question is "Where did you catch that?".....my answer, "Right in the corner of the mouth".....no seriously WHERE did you catch that, "At the lake from shore"....yah yah but WHAT lake? "the one that is easily accessible and you can see it from the road"......well I was called a bleepedy bleep and the guy storms off......funny how some people are? :)

LC

Gust
10-26-2011, 01:50 PM
To derail my own thread,,, I looked on other forums around the world and the AO forum is exceedingly current in comparison,,, a short while back it clocked a million posts alone, posts not views,, you could search back threads and get pretty fine know how on the where's when's and how's to fish here.

On sharing Lake X,, I watched two of my dads older fishin buds almost get into a full on fisticuff on one sharing a spot with a couple of work mates who told two friends, who told two friends, and so on, and that was a hike in spot ta boot.

Eddy62
10-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Does that mean you're willing to donate some of your spots?

Another keyboard critic?Sure will anytime.i am more than willing to help in any way at all......Ask away. and for being a key board critic on this forum arent we all. i personally dont think i could write a thread omn my day on a lake or a river and not mention it, be pretty tough to do.

BeeGuy
10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Ok, fair enough.

Got some good spots on the Bow?

Gust
10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Sure will anytime.i am more than willing to help in any way at all......Ask away. and for being a key board critic on this forum arent we all. i personally dont think i could write a thread omn my day on a lake or a river and not mention it, be pretty tough to do.

ok,,, but I'll choose to share the where part in a PM,,, technique I share openly. As for stating a river, that's ok, but as for a specific hole, then that goes to a few select new to the area or new flyguys/ gals in a PM and I have a criteria for choosing the whom. To each their own.
See you on the water.

wheresthefish
10-26-2011, 03:42 PM
The only place I get fish is at the grocery store. :sEm_oops2: See you there? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Eddy62
10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Ok, fair enough.

Got some good spots on the Bow? i have about 20 favorite spots on the bow but my favorite spot is down by larrys hide out.. walk across from were the bow meets the highwood and walk down stream about 1.5 or 2 miles its a good hike but well worth it ,you will see as your walking were the water is quick than slows up,for about 100 feet the fishing in there is great and large trout.deep section off the bow

another spot i have had great luck in is at policemans flats. park there and walk downstream until you see a house with a red roof. than just up from there you will see a brown picked fence.fish across from it i have caught alot off nice rainbows there but not any browns.

mc kinnon flats if you drive there park and this time walk upstream about mile or two and and then you will be walking on a narly bank but its deep there and holds up alot off trout caught 8 pound brown there last time..awesome spots i have just told you about let me no how you do as right now is the time to get em... and you will..use silver cd9 on a twitch and pause retrieve.my avatar is the brown i caught when i was at the spot by mckinnon flats..

good fishing
let me no how you do as i will let you no more....

fish inbetween these spots two as the ones i posted are my favs

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
To derail my own thread,,, I looked on other forums around the world and the AO forum is exceedingly current in comparison,,, a short while back it clocked a million posts alone, posts not views,, you could search back threads and get pretty fine know how on the where's when's and how's to fish here.

On sharing Lake X,, I watched two of my dads older fishin buds almost get into a full on fisticuff on one sharing a spot with a couple of work mates who told two friends, who told two friends, and so on, and that was a hike in spot ta boot.

ok,,, but I'll choose to share the where part in a PM,,, technique I share openly. As for stating a river, that's ok, but as for a specific hole, then that goes to a few select new to the area or new flyguys/ gals in a PM and I have a criteria for choosing the whom. To each their own.
See you on the water.

Well I guess we look at things differently i have no fear in giving out information I don't consider the lake mine or the fish in it. If some one asks me where I was fishing I tell them tell them what I was using and how to fish it. I don't believe in PM if I have some thing to say I say it good or bad. In one other post to me you said that there could be nubbies that don't know that pike are a little sluggish to bite at this time and you are right but why tell them a way around that but not give them at lease the name of the lake to fish. That is like giving a starving person a plate and fork but no food. This is not the only forum that this happens on and i've been asked to leave a few of them for speaking my mine but thats the way I'am. I don't believe in teasing people if I'm not going to tell the whole story including where I don't say anything it's a lot more polite then laying the LAKE X crap on people. Anyway just my two cents

Gust
10-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Well I guess we look at things differently i have no fear in giving out information I don't consider the lake mine or the fish in it. If some one asks me where I was fishing I tell them tell them what I was using and how to fish it. I don't believe in PM if I have some thing to say I say it good or bad. In one other post to me you said that there could be nubbies that don't know that pike are a little sluggish to bite at this time and you are right but why tell them a way around that but not give them at lease the name of the lake to fish. That is like giving a starving person a plate and fork but no food. This is not the only forum that this happens on and i've been asked to leave a few of them for speaking my mine but thats the way I'am. I don't believe in teasing people if I'm not going to tell the whole story including where I don't say anything it's a lot more polite then laying the LAKE X crap on people. Anyway just my two cents

The thread is the thread,, it has info and that's all I chose to offer,, for some it was good info but not for others,, that's ok. If you want to post a lake and the where part that is your business and your thread.

And Parnavi,,, thanks for the spots on the Bow, I'm sure they will be helpful to some-I don't need any Bow spots but thanks again- but they aren't very helpful on a thread called Pike, maybe start a thread called "Holding Holes on the Bow". Can you include some holes on the Sheep, Highwood and Livingstone? Thanks again.

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Ok, fair enough.

Got some good spots on the Bow?

The thread is the thread,, it has info and that's all I chose to offer,, for some it was good info but not for others,, that's ok. If you want to post a lake and the where part that is your business and your thread.

And Parnavi,,, thanks for the spots on the Bow, I'm sure they will be helpful to some-I don't need any Bow spots but thanks again- but they aren't very helpful on a thread called Pike, maybe start a thread called "Holding Holes on the Bow". Can you include some holes on the Sheep, Highwood and Livingstone? Thanks again.

He was asked for spots he gave them and you still complain just no pleasing you guys

Gust
10-26-2011, 04:22 PM
[/COLOR]

He was asked for spots he gave them and you still complain just no pleasing you guys

That is correct and I thanked him and suggested that he start a "BOW RIVER" thread and now suggest that you start an info thread on a Lake you like to fish on. Now that I've requested/asked this of you, could you do this or at least complain to the mods that my thread has no use on the boards and is merely a tease.

Thanks HT, I'm sure you will oblige as I'm accustomed to the number of lakes and tips you have offered and have stopped counting.

chubbdarter
10-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Excellent Bow river info

horsetrader
10-26-2011, 05:27 PM
If anyone would like to fish for pike I will try to help and add some information to this pike thread. Will try to add some info for some southern lake as i can but for right now I will start with Wizard lake it is not known as a big pike lake the size of the pike are not fantastic but the numbers are great. There is very little areas for shore fishing the boat ramp is not to bad the dock has been pulled but ramp is still usable. As we heard the bite is a little slow right now but pike can still be had you can dead stick a minnow or shad or with a little technique you can slow play a soft rubber through the reed edges we were finding that a 4" or 6" white grub body on a red or pink jig head was producing the best. You can also use a white spinnerbait but it seemed to work better on a slow fall on a larger drop off. Two weeks ago we were up at Elinore lake the pike were hitting around the islands the rocks around the islands kept the waster just slightly warmer so by mid afternoon you could throw the odd spoon. Haven't been to Mayatan or st annes for a while hoping to get there this weekend if it happens I will post how the pike action was there and any tips that will help. Any question just let me know.