PDA

View Full Version : Quantium Reels?

Gordoats26
01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Ive Been looking at the New Quantium Catilist and Energy pt 30 reels they feel real nice but after further research ive noticed lots of people seem to be having some problems with them. Does anyone Know anything about these reels are they worth the money?

Alberta Bigbore
01-27-2008, 12:02 PM
i dont use anything else BUT Quantum Products. to each thier own.

Id wait until the new PT Tour Spinning reel is in canada, then see what floats your boat. But The Energy PT is a hell of a nice reel. got one in size 10 and 20, for my light and one for one of my 3 medium action rods

Shimano does make a nice product to dont forget....

TundraBuck
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes quantum is great. I use a variety, all my ice rods are outitted with quantum optix 10's. I also recently purchased a Shimano Stradic and I love it dearly as well.

Waxy
01-27-2008, 03:07 PM
The newly redesigned Shimano Stradic FI series reels are super sweet. Do some reading on the net and have a look at one before you buy.

Waxy

gonefishin
01-27-2008, 03:34 PM
All I use is Quantum and have never had an issue with them.

Kyle
01-27-2008, 03:48 PM
A buddy of mine has a quantum energy and the mono is cutting into the line roller. This is a major problem in my eyes, I cant imagine the damage if he used braided lines. I have a few of the quantum optix 10, and for 30 bucks its an awesome reel.
I also have a few shimano stradics, and I now know what reel is now my favourite :love:

gonefishin
01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
A buddy of mine has a quantum energy and the mono is cutting into the line roller.

Mono cutting into the roller bearing??... must be a factory defect.

JohninAB
01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I too use Quantum. Had my Catalyst now for 4 years and it has hauled in a lot of walleyes in Ontario and never misses a beat. Also have a Quantum baitcaster in the Energy series. Very smooth.

~Octane~
01-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Indeed what I told him...I've never had a problem with my quantum reels either...the Optix is a nice reel for your money, so is the Plazma. I picked up a couple Array's in 10 and 30 a few months ago...great reel for price and its so smooth. The 10 is fabulous for walleyes on my light action rod. Never heard of it till I picked them up, mabey they replaced something else? Have used the energy pt and catalyst...both obviously great reels. Really..I dont think Quantum makes a crappy reel..mabey their entry level ones like the snapshot but you get what you pay for with quantum...plus a little more usually! I have tried a few Shimano's here and there and all were ok. Havent really been into anything else but Quantum and Okuma, which by the way makes some damn good reels. The VSystem is a great one, pricey but right up there with Quantum's high performance models in quality IMO. I have an Alumina on one of my ice rods, and Epixor on another one. Both are really smooth and solid. Also have an Aveon for my summertime ultra-light perch rod..but I think it will be replaced with another new VSystem because the drag is lacking a bit, its a factory defect tho because iv tried several other's and all are fine.

TundraBuck
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Indeed what I told him...I've never had a problem with my quantum reels either...the Optix is a nice reel for your money, so is the Plazma. I picked up a couple Array's in 10 and 30 a few months ago...great reel for price and its so smooth. The 10 is fabulous for walleyes on my light action rod. Never heard of it till I picked them up, mabey they replaced something else? Have used the energy pt and catalyst...both obviously great reels. Really..I dont think Quantum makes a crappy reel..mabey their entry level ones like the snapshot but you get what you pay for with quantum...plus a little more usually! I have tried a few Shimano's here and there and all were ok. Havent really been into anything else but Quantum and Okuma, which by the way makes some damn good reels. The VSystem is a great one, pricey but right up there with Quantum's high performance models in quality IMO. I have an Alumina on one of my ice rods, and Epixor on another one. Both are really smooth and solid. Also have an Aveon for my summertime ultra-light perch rod..but I think it will be replaced with another new VSystem because the drag is lacking a bit, its a factory defect tho because iv tried several other's and all are fine.

Holy smokes Octane for the amount of money you're spending on spinning reels you could have bought yourself a beautiful Sage flyrod and reel. :lol:

~Octane~
01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
haha, well i guess you could say im into my spinning reels:lol: Altho that reminds me, I am needing a new 3 weight for the mountain creeks, and a 8 or 9 weight for pike. I really want to get into flyfishing monster pike this summer:D One of those rods I wanna go all out and get top of the line sage for the rod, not sure if the sage reels are the best brand out there, do you like them? Ahh too many things to buy, too many fish to catch:lol:

KyleM
01-28-2008, 12:09 AM
I dont think Ill ever purchase another energy....
Way over priced IMO, its just not that wonderful.
For the same price you could be into a decent Shimano, Daiwa or Okuma (all better products).

Major problems trolling, the drags dont tighten up like they do on the above reels. I cant stand the spools, they arent really tapered, the lips on them ding up extremely easily. Heck, most cheaper Shimanos have a titanium lip with the tapered spool. The only line I could get consistancy off the spool with was the old Excalibur, now that its discontinued I have no use for that reel. They look pretty though :scared:

Invest in a Shimano and\or an Okuma.
Lots of the parts from these items are manufactured through the same plant over seas. Using Quantums service is a headache to say the least....Shimano and Okuma, ZERO problems.
Actually, check out some Regal series Daiwa's.......you can find them for less then half the price of the PTi and are a better reel IMO.

Kyle, not sure how your buddy has problems with the line roller.
Thats the most durable part of the reel.....its oversized with a titanium cover.
If that coating came off then yeah, I could see it ripping into the line but it would literally take you hours to chip that off with a knife.

KyleM
01-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh ya.....

Aslong as your buying a Sage and not a Loomis.

They are now property of Shimano

TundraBuck
01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
haha, well i guess you could say im into my spinning reels:lol: Altho that reminds me, I am needing a new 3 weight for the mountain creeks, and a 8 or 9 weight for pike. I really want to get into flyfishing monster pike this summer:D One of those rods I wanna go all out and get top of the line sage for the rod, not sure if the sage reels are the best brand out there, do you like them? Ahh too many things to buy, too many fish to catch:lol:

Hey Octane I like sage rods but I prefer Pfleuger reels or st croix reels.

Kyle
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Kyle, not sure how your buddy has problems with the line roller.
Thats the most durable part of the reel.....its oversized with a titanium cover.
If that coating came off then yeah, I could see it ripping into the line but it would literally take you hours to chip that off with a knife.

buddy is off working for a while, but when he gets back ill gladly post a picture.

KyleM
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Kyle when you get the photos shoot me a PM.
I will forward the pics directly to a few guys from Quantum
that Im in touch with from time to time.

bobalong
01-28-2008, 07:06 PM
When it comes to smooth, you have to look at Shimano. I like the Quantum baitcast reels but when it comes to spinning reels I will stick with Shimano. The smooth retrieve and bail trip (this is something I look for) IMO can not be beat in the Shimano spinning reels. Remember Shimano gear technology is probably used in 99% of the bikes that are made in the world, and although a bike is not a reel that "smooth" technology is in their reels as well. Your best bet is go to one of the fishing shops and play with a few different ones yourself, as my comments are just based on my own personal preferences and yours may be different.