PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Reel Ball Bearings

yada
10-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Does that amount of Ball Bearings effect how far a spinning reel casts and the amount of birdnest and line tangles (question mark)

Kokanee9
10-26-2011, 05:52 PM
No.

I would say casting distance is more related to the shape of the spool and the line that was put on the reel.

The bearings are more for when you are reeling in.

BeeGuy
10-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Does that amount of Ball Bearings effect how far a spinning reel casts and the amount of birdnest and line tangles (question mark)

No.

Things that affect casting distance are:

Lure weight and shape
Line type and diameter
Rod length, stiffness, action etc
Reel spool type

As well as the amount of line on the reel.

Combinations of these things will impact how far you can cast.

(Exclamation mark)

Cheers

chubbdarter
10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
according to reel designers yes it does.
Roller guide bearings and shaft bearings smooth out the osilating of the spool off the main drive shaft, allowing more precise laying of the line. Even if all the bearing does is to allow the bail to function better it improves laying of the line. Even a smoother engagment reduces in spool loops or soft spots.
The bail arm bearing difinetly has a effect on line cording.
One must remember all bearings are not created equally either.
Im not convinced 12 bearings has a noticeable benifit over 8 bearings though.
But im possitive the better a reel wraps its line the better it will cast that line.

yada
10-26-2011, 09:34 PM
My shakespear combo is falling apart... i was thinking of upgrading anyways because i got a stupid 1 ball bearing reel (the guy at BPS told me it had 4!!!)

My friend gave me his old casting rod. Im thinking of getting
Abu Garcia Black Max: http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/low-profile-baitcast-reels/max/black-max

or

Shakespeare E-Z Cast :http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-EZ-Cast-Low-Profile-Baitcast-Reels/product/10223116/134913

I had some pratice with a baitcaster but not a lot because i never owned one.

Or
should i get a spinning outfit?