PDA

View Full Version : Taste of trout

Xiph0id
10-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Going fishing this weekend.
Just wondering if spawning fish taste any better or worse fish mid season.

Not that I plan on eating a bunch of breaders and I will of course follow all regulations.

BGSH
10-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Going fishing this weekend.
Just wondering if spawning fish taste any better or worse fish mid season.

Not that I plan on eating a bunch of breaders and I will of course follow all regulations.

Hey, where you headed :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Xiph0id
10-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey, where you headed :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lmfao!

West my friend.
Got some hitchhiker coming.
Wonder is the hair is the same in person! LOL

BGSH
10-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Lmfao!

West my friend.
Got some hitchhiker coming.
Wonder is the hair is the same in person! LOL

lmFao
:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Hopefully you do not pick up pauly D the guy with huge hair who knows a tonn about catching huge fish on the fly rod

Xiph0id
10-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Anyone have any real answers?

tara_13
10-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Probably headed to Beauvias again..

Sundancefisher
10-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Anyone have any real answers?

If you are serious...then no...spawning fish do not taste better. Meat is usually mushy and often more of a sulphury taste if from a lake.

Think salmon which have more changes... For trout...while they don't die after spawning they sure through lots of energy into it. The rainbows get black and colored up...which I see often is a sign of mushy meat. Catching and eating outside spawning means better quality table fair. Also not sure where you could be fishing for spawning fish...usually them spots are closed during spawning.

Xiph0id
10-27-2011, 01:39 PM
If you are serious...then no...spawning fish do not taste better. Meat is usually mushy and often more of a sulphury taste if from a lake.

Think salmon which have more changes... For trout...while they don't die after spawning they sure through lots of energy into it. The rainbows get black and colored up...which I see often is a sign of mushy meat. Catching and eating outside spawning means better quality table fair. Also not sure where you could be fishing for spawning fish...usually them spots are closed during spawning.

This time of the year some species will be spawning no?
It's the last weekend I can fish some of the streams and rivers.

Gust
10-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Are Brown Trout still spawning? Rockies don't taste too bad and they're still spawning but I find trout to be off and don't usually target fish on a spawn. Incoming salmon is another thing altogether.

BGSH
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Most big streams are open for some keepers, i will check regulations tonight to make sure

Jayhad
10-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Are Brown Trout still spawning?

Yes you can see them right now just around the Zoo, or douglasdale, the ball diamonds

Xiph0id
10-28-2011, 02:08 PM
lmFao
:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Hopefully you do not pick up pauly D the guy with huge hair who knows a tonn about catching huge fish on the fly rod

Omg I can't believe its not butter.
Oh wait I mean Pauly D!

fluxcore
10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
spawning brook trout are amazing :) I find brown trout in the spawn great as well.
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/FLUXPOOR/smokintime003.jpg

Xiph0id
10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Caught some bull trout.
They were amazing tasting

ORVIS
10-30-2011, 05:32 PM

MoFugger21
10-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Caught some bull trout.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/MoFugger21/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Xiph0id
10-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm joking, holy crap doesn't take long for panties to bunch!
No keepers this trip but some amazing fishing.

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Caught some bull trout.

Nice, grilled? Baked? I find those are best oven baked with its cavity stuffed full of wild rice, usually have a side of sturgeon egg caviar or walleye cheek kabobs. Those Gull lake eyes sure are meaty.

Something about eating bull trout, just knowing how aggressive they are for the habitat they inhibit, reminiscing at your harvest realizing how much of a dominant creature you are compared to a bull trout. So satisfying.

ORVIS
10-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Nice, grilled? Baked? I find those are best oven baked with its cavity stuffed full of wild rice, usually have a side of sturgeon egg caviar or walleye cheek kabobs. Those Gull lake eyes sure are meaty.

Something about eating bull trout, just knowing how aggressive they are for the habitat they inhibit, reminiscing at your harvest realizing how much of a dominant creature you are compared to a bull trout. So satisfying.

Fresh Alberta Bull trout or BC Bulls?

fishpro
10-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Come on now, there's way better stuff to eat than that!! How about some bald eagle? Then find the nest to get eggs for breakfast the next morning!

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Fresh Alberta Bull trout or BC Bulls?

Alberta Bulls, since you don't need a license to fish in Alberta. Would hate to go to BC for a trip and have to buy a license, and it would be horrible to be get some kind of charge for fishing without one, so I stick to Alberta.

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Come on now, there's way better stuff to eat than that!! How about some bald eagle? Then find the nest to get eggs for breakfast the next morning!

Sick man. I tried that once on a camping trip and it was horrible.

But with that said, the mature ones sure are great for fly tying material, as long as you dont mash up the feathers too much with the shotgun.

MoFugger21
10-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm joking, holy crap doesn't take long for panties to bunch!
No keepers this trip but some amazing fishing.

Lol, I think you need to settle down. I posted the pic cause you were either: a) joking or b)trying to get a rise out of someone. Clearly I knew you were joking or I wouldn't have posted anything at all... I think you just read into the pic wrong....

fishpro
10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Sick man. I tried that once on a camping trip and it was horrible.

But with that said, the mature ones sure are great for fly tying material, as long as you dont mash up the feathers too much with the shotgun.

Yeah I'd imagine those long feathers make some wicked bull trout flies, especially if tied with a couple large barbed trebles!

ORVIS
10-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Alberta Bulls, since you don't need a license to fish in Alberta. Would hate to go to BC for a trip and have to buy a license, and it would be horrible to be get some kind of charge for fishing without one, so I stick to Alberta.

i realy hope your joking.....:argue2:

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Joking?

I have to get off for a while and go eat dinner, my neighbour's internet is starting to act funny, I will have to find a different neighbour's connection after dinner.

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Lmao!

Xiph0id
10-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Lol, I think you need to settle down. I posted the pic cause you were either: a) joking or b)trying to get a rise out of someone. Clearly I knew you were joking or I wouldn't have posted anything at all... I think you just read into the pic wrong....

I got PM's and I knew you were playin too!

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 07:00 PM
I was obviously playing too. The odd thread is always good for a laugh lol

Kokanee9
10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Joking?

I have to get off for a while and go eat dinner, my neighbour's internet is starting to act funny, I will have to find a different neighbour's connection after dinner.

Are you by chance someone that just got banned from here and using the neighbors connection so your ip address doesn't match up?

Pocket Aces
10-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Are you by chance someone that just got banned from here and using the neighbors connection so your ip address doesn't match up?

Umm no.? Someone did that? When I meant I meant stealing the internet connection I meant because I'm too lazy to buy my own...

Kokanee9
10-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Just wondering and had to ask.

BGSH
10-30-2011, 08:59 PM
i realy hope your joking.....:argue2:

He is joking, wanna see some pics from the outing?

Gust
10-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Umm no.? Someone did that? When I meant I meant stealing the internet connection I meant because I'm too lazy to buy my own...

cool,,, keep looking up stuff that incriminates your neighbour, if you don't like them. Lazy, cheap or ill afforded?

greylynx
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
cool,,, keep looking up stuff that incriminates your neighbour, if you don't like them. Lazy, cheap or ill afforded?

This does not look good Gus.

Hmmmmm.

Gust
10-30-2011, 09:12 PM
This does not look good Gus.

Hmmmmm.

AO needs an emoticon for being facetious (<sp?) and wry.

BGSH
10-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Wait till u see these pics, wicked trip

Xiph0id
10-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Wait till u see these pics, wicked trip

Post em up Pauly!
Maybe start a new thread?