PDA

View Full Version : Ice Tournaments

JohnnyD
10-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Just trying to plan out my hardwater season. I have not fished in any Alberta tournaments and would like to this winter. I have done some google searches and only seem to find the ice tourney at Wab. Anyone have an ice schedule?

Thanks,

John

Guitarplayingfish
10-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I would also like to know... =)Newell has one in feb/march I think

npauls
10-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know when they all are but there is one at:

Newel (free fishing weekend)
Badger
Lee Lake/Beaver mines
Travers

I know there is more but can't remember where.

fishinggeek
10-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Bountyfishing.com

bubba 96
10-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Crawling valley is a good one to enter least ya have a chance at getting big fish..lol not like the badger tourney over before it starts ....:angry3:

MoFugger21
10-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Crawling valley is a good one to enter least ya have a chance at getting big fish..lol not like the badger tourney over before it starts ....:angry3:

It is funny/odd that a couple of the top 5 fish come in at 8:30 Friday morning... Lol. I still enjoy the derby tho!

I don't know when they all are but there is one at:

Newel (free fishing weekend)
Badger
Lee Lake/Beaver mines
Travers

I know there is more but can't remember where.

Badger is usually the 3rd weekend in February I believe.

And unless the bar in Champion becomes operational again and they put on the derby, I doubt there will be one at Travers. Hasn't been one there on the ice for the past couple years, if I'm not mistaken.

latenite
10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
The Monkey Top Saloon in Gull Lake usually puts a derby on the Feb long weekend at Brownlows Landing. The fishing hasn't been great out there the last two hard water seasons.

Rumtan
10-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Feb 19th is the Make-A-Wish derby at Wabamun

ORV
10-31-2011, 11:54 AM
scottys at pine like usually has one on the sunday of
the family day weekend.

not sure if they will next year with all the fish kill because
of the blu-green algae.

will post later if it,s on.

orv.

sonny42
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Whats wrong with 2 of the top 5 pike being weighted in by 8.30 am friday morning at Badger Derby, The derby starts at 8.00am.

MoFugger21
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Whats wrong with 2 of the top 5 pike being weighted in by 8.30 am friday morning at Badger Derby, The derby starts at 8.00am.

Never said anything was wrong with it.... :rolleye2: Just that it was funny/odd/suspicious to some people. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, let that be clear, it's just always funny every year, getting to lake at 8:30 Friday morning to register, and 2 of the fish already on the leader board never move... It's just good for a chuckle is all.

Anyways, that's for a different thread, sorry OP.

npauls
10-31-2011, 02:21 PM
The badger derby is always won early because the big girls feed very early.

It is the same way at Newel. Almost always the top 2 or 3 fish are weighed in very early in the morning.

That just means that you have to get there early and get your rigs set up and ready to go as soon as possible.

aulrich
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I am not sure if the fishing at pine could get any worst, last year 150 entries something like 3 fish checked in

WayneChristie
10-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Nate are you going to do the Nerwell derby? I am planning to this time.

ORV
10-31-2011, 08:07 PM
I am not sure if the fishing at pine could get any worst, last year 150 entries something like 3 fish checked in

yep. 20 or more lines in & we never had a bite even.
worst i have seen in ten years of going.

orv.

npauls
10-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Nate are you going to do the Nerwell derby? I am planning to this time.

I doubt it. I am way to A.D.D. to sit there for 3-4 days waiting for one big fish to bite.

I went 3 years in a row and haven't been in the last couple years. This year I will be recovering from back surgery still or hopefully fully recovered by then. Who knows though I may make an appearance out there and just search around for some perch or walleyes.

cdkeim
11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
it would be nice to gather all this info together to create a list of ice derbies around alberta as it can be a pretty difficult thing to find online. I am always trying each year to get locations and dates and especially for some of the smaller ones, the info is often just found locally and not online.
I've only been to one ice fishing derby, and that was last year at Rattlesnake/Sauder reservoir. After getting stuck right when I got on the ice, would up fishing in a terrible spot and not even getting a nibble. Hope to have better luck this year. (Need a better vehicle for getting around on the ice)

trapshooter
11-02-2011, 03:31 PM
it would be nice to gather all this info together to create a list of ice derbies around alberta as it can be a pretty difficult thing to find online. I am always trying each year to get locations and dates and especially for some of the smaller ones, the info is often just found locally and not online.
I've only been to one ice fishing derby, and that was last year at Rattlesnake/Sauder reservoir. After getting stuck right when I got on the ice, would up fishing in a terrible spot and not even getting a nibble. Hope to have better luck this year. (Need a better vehicle for getting around on the ice)

x2 I like this idea, the only one I know of is Crawling Valley

klow
11-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I saw the winning fish caught last year at Badger Lake and it was quite funny. He had not even caught a fish the year before and told me that if he doesn't this year, he won't be back. So what happens? He looses his bait on an airplane jig and as he is getting bait to replace it, the winning fish strkes again and is caught. The winning fish is caught on an airplane jig with no bait. It was 27lbs. and change, lol.

sonny42
11-05-2011, 11:37 AM
KLOW, that a great way to win a derby, this shows us that one should always have a hook in the water.

AK47
11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
KLOW, that a great way to win a derby, .

They should rename those to fishing lotery...not much skill required - mainly luck from what I have read so far.

huntsfurfish
11-05-2011, 06:30 PM
They should rename those to fishing lotery...not much skill required - mainly luck from what I have read so far.

:)

sonny42
11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
AK47 , Luck is mostly what fishing is all about.

Guitarplayingfish
11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Thats not entirely true... Ice fishing maybe a little more so than open water, but Its not hard to tell the difference between me and buddies I take out fishing who are new to the sport... Its all about presentation, and that is clear when I catch like 50 trout to their 1 or 2.... hahaha

pickrel pat
11-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Thats not entirely true... Ice fishing maybe a little more so than open water, but Its not hard to tell the difference between me and buddies I take out fishing who are new to the sport... Its all about presentation, and that is clear when I catch like 50 trout to their 1 or 2.... hahaha

haha..... so your buddies watched you pull up 50 fish before they did what you were doing? lol:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

Topwater
11-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I just heard there will a tourney at Tobin on March 17th. Big prizes from what I heard. Will post details when I hear more.
Steve