PDA

View Full Version : Odd Mountain Whitefish catch today

fishdude17
10-30-2011, 11:22 PM
I was fishing in the Elbow river for the last time this season today, and was surprised to catch an 11" mountain whitefish with a Rapala Huskyjerk Orange crawdad, size 9...anyone ever catch whitefish with these or simular lures? It's a first for me, thinking it was just pure luck :thinking-006:

BeeGuy
10-30-2011, 11:23 PM
I was fishing in the Elbow river for the last time this season today, and was surprised to catch an 11" mountain whitefish with a Rapala Huskyjerk Orange crawdad, size 9...anyone ever catch whitefish with these or simular lures? It's a first for me, thinking it was just pure luck :thinking-006:

Where'd it get hooked?

fishdude17
10-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Fish took the rear treble in it's mouth, he definately ate it...

BeeGuy
10-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Fish took the rear treble in it's mouth, he definately ate it...

That's wild.

An 11'' whitie has a 10mm wide mouth.

Maybe it was defending a spawning area and not necessarily trying to eat it.

Gust
10-31-2011, 12:30 AM
lake whites hit almost undressed hooks, maybe it was the flash of the hook and not the bulk of the lure,, I mean they're pretty much picking off bugs while swarming in schools that would make china blush,, swarming is the wrong word as the plonk has reached that part of my brain.

fishdude17
10-31-2011, 09:04 AM
:confused0068:That's wild.

An 11'' whitie has a 10mm wide mouth.

Maybe it was defending a spawning area and not necessarily trying to eat it.

Possibly, not sure if they are spawning yet as I have never targeted Whitefish. I believe they spawn anywhere from September to December, or so I have been told. None the less, I was quite shocked to see such a small fish take a large lure like that, first time for everything I guess! The other odd part of the story is that I have not used that lure for probably 6 or 7 years, the trout were not biting on the rapalas I normally use this time of year so I thought I would throw something oddball at them and.....wham! With ice fishing coming up soon, what lakes are good in southern AB for whitefish? Might have to give them a try this winter...