PDA

View Full Version : question for you old time southerners

WayneChristie
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok so Ive been trapping minnows for the last couple months in the canals. Ive had to pick through them and put the perch back. Since the canals were shut down and started draining Oct 12, I havent seen more than one or two perch, out of a lot of minnows. Anyone know if they follow the receding water to where it dumps, or are they just more sensitive to low water and oxygen than the chubs and sticklebacks I still see and die off as soon as the water levels get lower? Im thinking there has to be a decent perch population in the Low Bow unless all the fry get eaten as soon as they hit the river.

Guitarplayingfish
10-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Ok so Ive been trapping minnows for the last couple months in the canals. Ive had to pick through them and put the perch back. Since the canals were shut down and started draining Oct 12, I havent seen more than one or two perch, out of a lot of minnows. Anyone know if they follow the receding water to where it dumps, or are they just more sensitive to low water and oxygen than the chubs and sticklebacks I still see and die off as soon as the water levels get lower? Im thinking there has to be a decent perch population in the Low Bow unless all the fry get eaten as soon as they hit the river.

From what I've heard from people who did the fish rescue this year (I really wanted to go but schedule conflicted) They found a ton of trout perch in the canal systems this year. Could that be what you are thinking is perch? The main distinguishing factor would be an adipose fin on the Trout Perch.

WayneChristie
10-31-2011, 07:45 PM
nah these were perch, caught a few that were 3 inches or more

Fisher_man#1
11-01-2011, 11:20 AM
nah these were perch, caught a few that were 3 inches or more

Trout perch can get to 4inches! but ya like mentioned they have an adipose fin and they are almost translucent with black spots. Good luck with the minnow traps.

Cheers,

pickrel pat
11-01-2011, 11:36 AM
sticklebacks can live in a truck tire rut filled with water, perch, not so much.