PDA

View Full Version : Invisible

Freedom55
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I was prepared to deliver a long winded talk on the advantage of good knot tying skills as opposed to lashing on a pickeral rig and a 1/2 oz. bell sinker but I remembered in the nick of time that some people do not have the time nor the patience to read anything longer than 140 characters. I changed my mind and decided to write a brief synopsis instead.

Here goes. Throw your pickeral rigs away! Period.
Learn a few basic knots, and pick up some "knot buds" for attaching bait holder snelled hooks to the main line.

1) palomar knot (also used in drop shotting)
2) blood knot (to connect similar sized lines to each other)
3) clinch knot (or improved fisherman's knot)
4) dropper loop (if you don't have any 'knot buds')
5) rapala knot (to attach crankbaits)
6) snell knot (make your own spinner and lindy rigs)

There are plenty of other knots you can learn but knowing these is an essential part of the knowlege required to advance in the sport. Practice them now (a good use for that mono you were going to throw away) and enjoy catching more fish.

Free

Eddy62
11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
great advice.knots are everything.i dont like lots off hardware either.rapala knots on cranks always for me,i dont even like tying to split rings...... just my 2 cents.

Fisher_man#1
11-01-2011, 11:13 AM
How does just listing several different knots and their uses help people tie them. I like the idea maybe just expand on it. Try and find some links and how too's ect.

Cheers,

Gary K
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
How does just listing several different knots and their uses help people tie them. I like the idea maybe just expand on it. Try and find some links and how too's ect.

Cheers,

http://www.youtube.com

thats where i learned most of mine, aside from the few i already knew.

DanaS
11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I use the Palomer knot 80%+ of the time. A guide asked me once why I was using a Palomer knot for something he was using cinch knot on. For me, it is easy, very strong and I can tie it in the dark or when my hands are frozen. I was at a fishing show this year and the trilene guy had a contest to enter if your knot could outperform his line. 15# line cranked down to 18# before breaking the line. Knot held and didn't even flinch. Only 4 guys were entered into the draw that morning and the one other guy I saw tied a Palomer as well. Palomer knot is a super strong and very easy.

Freedom55
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
two great sites to learn the basics of knot tying are:

www.netknots.com and

www.animatedknots.com

Beyond that I would need to get long winded about the techniques.
e.g. a palomar knot is a useful and easy knot to tie to attach anything to the line. Simply a doubled over line pushed through the eye then a single overhand knot, except that the piece being tied on has to pass through the loop you formed by doubling before pulling tight and trimming. As always, wet the line before pulling to cool the plastic that will heat up from friction and cause the knot to fail.
If you were to tie on a drop shot hook, then you would leave a tag end to pass back through the eye of the hook so as to hold the hook perpendicular to the line after you have added a weight to the tag end, again using a trimmed palomar knot. You decide how long the tag end is to be by determining the distance from the bottom you wish the bait to "swim". Easy, right?

Etc.

Free

pike_king780
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
If P-rigging which knot is best to use when attaching gear to main line?:confused:

Freedom55
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
If P-rigging which knot is best to use when attaching gear to main line?:confused:

You are not paying attention. Throw that crap away. Broaden your horizons.
Or, if you wish to be obtuse, try a double overhand (granny) knot. And butcher's string.

Another e.g. Tie a snap swivel to the end of your main line, using a palomar knot. Add a small sinker. Measure up the line 12" (300mm) or so and tie a dropper loop. Run up the line another 12" and tie another dropper loop. Now thread a pre-tied snelled baitholder hook through the loop you have just made, then slip the hook through the loop on the leader you have purchased and the hook is ready to bait. Repeat that last step with the topmost loop and add corn, powerbait, minnow, cheese or a worm to the hooks and sink the whole thing to the bottom. Let the weight just touch the mud. You don't want the prey to feel the weight of your sinker at all.
If you are casting from shore, add a slip bobber to the line before you tie on any hardware. Let the bobber act as a strike indicator, or fix it in place with a bobber stop and dangle a worm at a preset depth.
This is a handy place to use the knot buds. These are two-piece plastic connectors that allow you to attach snelled leaders to the mainline and easily remove them when you are finished. Or adjust the height up or down the line.

We're talking invisible here.

Free

horsetrader
11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I use the Palomer knot 80%+ of the time. A guide asked me once why I was using a Palomer knot for something he was using cinch knot on. For me, it is easy, very strong and I can tie it in the dark or when my hands are frozen. I was at a fishing show this year and the trilene guy had a contest to enter if your knot could outperform his line. 15# line cranked down to 18# before breaking the line. Knot held and didn't even flinch. Only 4 guys were entered into the draw that morning and the one other guy I saw tied a Palomer as well. Palomer knot is a super strong and very easy.

X2 most used knot for me

horsetrader
11-01-2011, 05:10 PM
You are not paying attention. Throw that crap away. Broaden your horizons.
Or, if you wish to be obtuse, try a double overhand (granny) knot. And butcher's string.

Another e.g. Tie a snap swivel to the end of your main line, using a palomar knot. Add a small sinker. Measure up the line 12" (300mm) or so and tie a dropper loop. Run up the line another 12" and tie another dropper loop. Now thread a pre-tied snelled baitholder hook through the loop you have just made, then slip the hook through the loop on the leader you have purchased and the hook is ready to bait. Repeat that last step with the topmost loop and add corn, powerbait, minnow, cheese or a worm to the hooks and sink the whole thing to the bottom. Let the weight just touch the mud. You don't want the prey to feel the weight of your sinker at all.
If you are casting from shore, add a slip bobber to the line before you tie on any hardware. Let the bobber act as a strike indicator, or fix it in place with a bobber stop and dangle a worm at a preset depth.
This is a handy place to use the knot buds. These are two-piece plastic connectors that allow you to attach snelled leaders to the mainline and easily remove them when you are finished. Or adjust the height up or down the line.

We're talking invisible here.

Free

I like using spinshot dropshot hooks

WayneChristie
11-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I use a version of the palomar mostly, but I fish heavy braid so a lot of the times doubled line wont fit though the eye of the hook, so I just pass the line through once, then tie my knot. never had it fail, even with big fish.

Freedom55
11-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I use a version of the palomar mostly, but I fish heavy braid so a lot of the times doubled line wont fit though the eye of the hook, so I just pass the line through once, then tie my knot. never had it fail, even with big fish.

I am sure your knot is strong, but you might try the San Diego Jam knot for heavier lines. Or the Baja knot. Both were developed by off-shore fishermen targeting large species. The baja is probably the better choice for sturgeon as the hook moves freely in the loop, much like a rapala knot. However, neither will slip.

Some years ago my wife's nephew landed a 97 lb sturgeon from shore of SSR downstream of Medicine Hat. There are big fish swimming those waters.
Good gear, heavy lines and strong knots mandatory. Circle hooks optional.

Free

Eddy62
11-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I am sure your knot is strong, but you might try the San Diego Jam knot for heavier lines. Or the Baja knot. Both were developed by off-shore fishermen targeting large species. The baja is probably the better choice for sturgeon as the hook moves freely in the loop, much like a rapala knot. However, neither will slip.

Some years ago my wife's nephew landed a 97 lb sturgeon from shore of SSR downstream of Medicine Hat. There are big fish swimming those waters.
Good gear, heavy lines and strong knots mandatory. Circle hooks optional.

Freecircle hooks i use as they are good all around especially in a barbless world.,, wow baja knot and san diego jam, never even heard off them , will get out some line and give them a shot txs free for info.

BeeGuy
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Knot Wars on youtube is a good resource.

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knot+wars&aq=f)

Eddy62
11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Knot Wars on youtube is a good resource.

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knot+wars&aq=f)

awesome page........

BeeGuy
11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
awesome page........

Ya, it's pretty good. I'm loving the modified albright knot. Just got to make sure the tag end is facing away from the lure end of the line.