PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing for Whitefish

Drano
01-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Ice Fishing for Whitefish

When is the Best Time to Begin

You will find you have the best success fishing for lake whitefish early in the morning. Sunrise till about noon is your best bet. By starting early after sunrise you will find you will have your greatest success as lake whitefish feeding activity will lessen as the sun gets higher in the sky. If your weather conditions include a cloudy day chances are you can increase your fishing success past the noon cutoff. Try to locate areas with a hard bottom and with a good drop off. Because whitefish are a schooling species once you locate one chances are others will be found close by. Drill 5 or 6 holes and fish each one for about 20 minutes. If you have little or no success, move onto the next hole. An auger should be no more than 8 inches in diameter, which should be more than capable of landing any whitefish you encounter during your day of icefishing. Once you drilled your holes, take the time to clean the snow and slush from them. Many times the sound your power auger produces will spook any fish in the area. By taking the time to clean up your holes you give the whitefish time to return to their normal behaviour.

One of the best items a ice fisherman can purchase is a portable fishing tent. You will be spending a great deal of time out on the frozen lake and your comfort is a key ingredient in having an enjoyable day. Comfort will also help in your concentration.

Lake whitefish are bottom feeders in most situations and have been known to eat a wide variety of bottom-living invertebrates as well as smaller fishes. In some areas microscopic planktonic creatures form the majority of their diet. A wire worm jig is one of the most popular lure in the Canadian prairies and imitates the aquatic organisms that lake whitefish love to eat. Ensure you set the hook fast as whitefish have the tendency to spit it out fast. The key is to always be ready to set the hook quickly so it is vital you are always watching your wire worm. A nice 26 inch ice fishing rod is ideal for fishing for Lake whitefish. Ensure the rod has light to medium action as it will help you in feeling the whitefish strike. Braided line works best for icefishing as it retains no memory in the line. This can mean the difference between landing your catch and losing it.

Although Lake whitefish will bite spoons and other lures rigged up with such baits as minnows and leeches, the wire worm jig consistently outperforms all other methods of catching lake whitefish. The most popular colour for a wire worm is red. This colour worm mimics larvae found in most Canadian lakes. Experiment with different colours and sizes to see what works best for you on any given day or on different lakes. Carry a small journal with you to record weather conditions etc .

Bottom is Best

Again because lake whitefish are predominately bottom feeders, make sure you are fishing about a foot off the bottom. Start your presentation within this zone and jig your wire worm once every minute or so to entice any whitefish in the area to come on over and have a look. This suggestion is only a starting point for your day and is not set in stone. If you observe whitefish at various other depths then adjust your presentation to have a good chance at landing them. If possible rig up several rods with a variety of presentations varying the size and colour of your wire worms. This will save you time if one colour and size is not successful.

scott_edmonton
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks, will try this out this week.

bisonhunter
12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
hey thanks drano, i appreciate the coaching. i've been trying to target new species this year and have been doing a lot of reading about each one but it always seems best to get first hand advice from the experienced. i'll give it a shot when i get back from costa rica mid month.
cheers,
bh

dogboy
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
what Lb. line shuld I use light to feel the bite or a littel hever?

goose
12-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Drano, great job on this piece of writing.

Goose---tank's DAD

moosehunter3-0
12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
what Lb. line shuld I use light to feel the bite or a littel hever?

being a spooky fish 4-6 pound is best.

Lethbridge_1
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Great post Drano. I am by no means an expert (yet..lol), but one pointer I can give is if you are using a braided line, attach a 10" piece of 3x or 5x tippet to connect the braided line to your lure so as not to spook line shy fish. Another thing is if you are using a wire worm or similar lure, tie it to the line so that it hangs horizontal to the bottom (90 degrees to the line coming down the hole) as this is a more natural presentation.

Deano
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
A big thumbs up Drano!!! A post like this is what a fishing board needs. Thanks for taking the initiative.

Deano

Bassett
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah a big thumbs up to you!

Mabey the mods could make it a sticky??

DuckBrat
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Don't forget to pick the right lake as some lakes contain slightly different whites than others. With this variability comes a difference in diet. In some lakes the whites are primarily minnow feeders (Lac Ste. Anne but doesn't mean you can't fool a few with a wire worm) where just a few miles away in Wabamun Lake you'll find they like the insects and thus wire worms. If you hold up the whitefish from these lakes side by side you'll even see a difference in body shape. The insect feeding fish are a more consistent bite than the minnow feeders and are an easier find as they like the shallow sand/weed flats more than the minnow feeders. Don't be afraid to drill holes right in the reeds as the whites will move into incredibly shallow water (1 ft) to feed and feed aggressively. If you find them in inches of water more than likely you'll score as they seem to hit with reckless abandon. Just don't dull the auger blades. Good luck.

sharrozap
12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I have big success using some of Drano technics for caching whitefish, but now I learn more. Tanks Drano.

pecker
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks for the info drano , it's nice to see experienced fisherman sharing their ideas & secrets to help us all out . will be trying all your tips out , now that i know what to do. :wave:

dogboy
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Y thankes Iv never gone after Whites befor but now i will try this weekend.

sharrozap
01-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Good to read one more time this article before going to the lake. How is the ice at Pideon lake?

Albertabowhunter
01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I disagree with the bottom feeders part. I seem to catch more Whites in the mid range then the bottom..... in the later winter, I'll catch them even closer to the top or just below the ice....

Albertabowhunter
01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I disagree with the bottom feeders part. I seem to catch more Whites in the mid range then the bottom. In the later winter, I'll catch them even closer to the top or just below the ice....

pecker
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM

You will find you have the best success fishing for lake whitefish early in the morning. Sunrise till about noon is your best bet. By starting early after sunrise you will find you will have your greatest success as lake whitefish feeding activity will lessen as the sun gets higher in the sky. If your weather conditions include a cloudy day chances are you can increase your fishing success past the noon cutoff. Try to locate areas with a hard bottom and with a good drop off. Because whitefish are a schooling species once you locate one chances are others will be found close by. Drill 5 or 6 holes and fish each one for about 20 minutes. If you have little or no success, move onto the next hole. An auger should be no more than 8 inches in diameter, which should be more than capable of landing any whitefish you encounter during your day of icefishing. Once you drilled your holes, take the time to clean the snow and slush from them. Many times the sound your power auger produces will spook any fish in the area. By taking the time to clean up your holes you give the whitefish time to return to their normal behaviour.

One of the best items a ice fisherman can purchase is a portable fishing tent. You will be spending a great deal of time out on the frozen lake and your comfort is a key ingredient in having an enjoyable day. Comfort will also help in your concentration.

Lake whitefish are bottom feeders in most situations and have been known to eat a wide variety of bottom-living invertebrates as well as smaller fishes. In some areas microscopic planktonic creatures form the majority of their diet. A wire worm jig is one of the most popular lure in the Canadian prairies and imitates the aquatic organisms that lake whitefish love to eat. Ensure you set the hook fast as whitefish have the tendency to spit it out fast. The key is to always be ready to set the hook quickly so it is vital you are always watching your wire worm. A nice 26 inch ice fishing rod is ideal for fishing for Lake whitefish. Ensure the rod has light to medium action as it will help you in feeling the whitefish strike. Braided line works best for icefishing as it retains no memory in the line. This can mean the difference between landing your catch and losing it.

Although Lake whitefish will bite spoons and other lures rigged up with such baits as minnows and leeches, the wire worm jig consistently outperforms all other methods of catching lake whitefish. The most popular colour for a wire worm is red. This colour worm mimics larvae found in most Canadian lakes. Experiment with different colours and sizes to see what works best for you on any given day or on different lakes. Carry a small journal with you to record weather conditions etc .

Bottom is Best

Again because lake whitefish are predominately bottom feeders, make sure you are fishing about a foot off the bottom. Start your presentation within this zone and jig your wire worm once every minute or so to entice any whitefish in the area to come on over and have a look. This suggestion is only a starting point for your day and is not set in stone. If you observe whitefish at various other depths then adjust your presentation to have a good chance at landing them. If possible rig up several rods with a variety of presentations varying the size and colour of your wire worms. This will save you time if one colour and size is not successful.

this pretty much sums it up .:wave:

TJG
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
http://www.icefishingcanada.ca/icefishingforwhitefish.html

http://www.livebaitandtackle.com/icefishingtips.php

J-C
12-22-2009, 10:37 PM
what does a wire worm look like? i can't find any pictures of them

Dougie55
12-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Not sure if Drano wrote the info, and put it on Icefishingcanada.ca, or copied it, but it is pretty damn good info. The only thing I might add, in my experiences, is that although I use red wireworms more than most other colors, I will switch quickly to a red headed brass, or red headed copper, depending on the way the fish are reacting( mainly due to sunlight, I find) if they are swimming in on the red and not taking it. After that I work other colors.
As posted by Albertabowhunter, the fish are not always on the bottom, and that is usually do to oxygen conditions, etc, in a body of water, but whitefish are usually a bottom feeder in most conditions, and in most lakes that is where you will find them.
For hooks, as Duckbrat says, there are some lakes wireworms don't do as well, because of forage...Some of the biggest fish, and most productive days at Orloff Lake have been using a rattle crankbait...but over all, I would go with the wireworm, as it has been successful for a long time, and still is..
My opinion only of course.

addicted
12-22-2009, 11:29 PM
one other thing is after you drop your hook down be prepared for a visitor, be it white, or jack or something. Whites will be where they will be they will come up to bite your hook so a foot even two will be productive.

Drano
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Not sure if Drano wrote the info, and put it on Icefishingcanada.ca, or copied it, but it is pretty damn good info. The only thing I might add, in my experiences, is that although I use red wireworms more than most other colors, I will switch quickly to a red headed brass, or red headed copper, depending on the way the fish are reacting( mainly due to sunlight, I find) if they are swimming in on the red and not taking it. After that I work other colors.
As posted by Albertabowhunter, the fish are not always on the bottom, and that is usually do to oxygen conditions, etc, in a body of water, but whitefish are usually a bottom feeder in most conditions, and in most lakes that is where you will find them.
For hooks, as Duckbrat says, there are some lakes wireworms don't do as well, because of forage...Some of the biggest fish, and most productive days at Orloff Lake have been using a rattle crankbait...but over all, I would go with the wireworm, as it has been successful for a long time, and still is..
My opinion only of course.

In all Honesty I did not write the article I found it on another site and put it on here for the enjoyment of others..:wave::wave:

Drano
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM
TJ Chow actually had a good post on here a while back also.
What different colored hooks to use when up north or down south I found that one very interesting.:wave::wave:

simmered
12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
thanks for the post Drano. Has anybody fished the little mcleod by whitecourt?

deanmc
12-23-2009, 09:45 PM
thanks for the post Drano. Has anybody fished the little mcleod by whitecourt?

I plan to try it this weekend.

:wave: Everything I know about catching Whitefish I just read above!

simmered
12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
well dont fish by where we did!!!!! no fish there!!! :D
Good Luck deanmc

deanmc
12-24-2009, 07:52 AM
well dont fish by where we did!!!!! no fish there!!! :D
Good Luck deanmc

I am haveing second thoughts now!!!lol

simmered
12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
I am haveing second thoughts now!!!lol

I'm sure it was just the fisherman!

SonnyCovin
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM

Bottom is Best

Again because lake whitefish are predominately bottom feeders, make sure you are fishing about a foot off the bottom. Start your presentation within this zone and jig your wire worm once every minute or so to entice any whitefish in the area to come on over and have a look. This suggestion is only a starting point for your day and is not set in stone. If you observe whitefish at various other depths then adjust your presentation to have a good chance at landing them. If possible rig up several rods with a variety of presentations varying the size and colour of your wire worms. This will save you time if one colour and size is not successful. Did you write this article on your own or did you get it from somewhere else? if so why did you not give credit to the person who wrote it??

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Bottom is Best

I would also include depth and variety in jigging techinques.

I have caught whites from 2 feet of under the water ice to 16 feet. I have used flies, to wire worms, cast masters to frozen minnows. Small silver and gold spoons work well in some lakes as well as wetaskawin specials.

You can jig a wire worm hard fast or slow and steady. You can wiggle it near the bottom or slowly raise. Whites however don't seem to adjust swimming height quickly so they usually circle and circle to attack.

Bouncing a cast master, spoon or small jig on the bottom can be very effective if there is a silty component there. It mimics the movement and bottom disturbance that minnows can make when feeding or avoiding predation. Whites love eating minnows when they can find them.

Whites like any fish can be in a frenzy to eat and can be attracted by movement. They can also be very timid and scared if a size 10 yellow wire worm wiggles on approach.

I feel the operative word when fishing is variability and flexibility and don't be afraid to try something completely different. Monitoring those around you and copying other techniques is also key to learning. Above all...don't give up...practice while never makes you a perfect fisherman...gives you a larger repertoire to draw from.

IMHO

SonnyCovin
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree with your post. The other day I went fishing in Gull Lk. and caught 5 in 40 min. with a yellow ww. Then I switched to a brass with yellow at the head, & man were they going for that or what. Some would come real fast and I would point the hook towards them and they would take it big time.The fish that would come in slow looked disinterested I would pull the wire worm away from them quickly and then drop it back and pointing the hook in the direction they went. The fish would double back and this time really go for it. Fish on. I find that when I do this method very few fish don't double back for a second look.

nicemustang
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Why are you pulling up a thread 2 years old?

SonnyCovin
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Well I saw the exact word for word information on another web site when I was doing research on white fish techniques and I wondered if plagiarism was possible since no credit was given to the original writer.Sorry if I ****ed anyone off, If he wrote the original great however I saw other writings by this person and believe there's no match to the writing.

nicemustang
01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Who really cares? What is this, grade two? He is giving good info does it really matter where it came from?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hope you enjoy it. But I don't think there is any point in whay you're doing.

SonnyCovin
01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
TJG thanks for showing where you saw the article, it is a great piece of work and if Drano wrote then his stock just went up with me. If not I wish he would have done what you did or give credit to whom ever wrote it.

SonnyCovin
01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Nicemustang.Thanks for the welcome. I love to get good information on fishing styles and how to stuff. Another person brought up the same question and then posted the website where he saw it too, since there was no reply to his query I just wandered why?? However, I am not here to cause trouble just want to get informed on fishing and get the best people to give it.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I also find it is very important to select the right bottom substrate when fishing for whites. I find they like sandy bottoms with some silt and little weeds in about 8-16 feet deep. In shallower water they tend to like short weeds. I rarely if ever have seen them in taller weeds. Anyone else have an observation on bottom type and weed cover versus lots of whitefish action?

Paul C
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Who really cares? What is this, grade two? He is giving good info does it really matter where it came from?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hope you enjoy it. But I don't think there is any point in whay you're doing.
There tons of threads hyper linked to this web site. The info maybe old but still has value.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Does anyone find maggot color makes a difference? I find wire worm color makes a huge difference...I prefer yellow or copper...but pink or white maggots don't seem to matter.

moosehunter3-0
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Lately on Gull the whites wont take anything if theres a maggot on it.

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
just asking......dont any of you think whitefish stink ...bad? compared to other fish

burbotman14
01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Nope, but pike and their slime smell bad in the summer.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
just asking......dont any of you think whitefish stink ...bad? compared to other fish

How so? Fresh after catching or the smell cooking? Only sport fish in Alberta I can't stand the taste of is Goldeye...at least the 3 or 4 times I tried it. Muddy and very oily out of the Red Deer. Delicacy smoked...but not fried in butter LOL.

I don't mind lake whitefish but the majority I have eaten has been smoked.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Nope, but pike and their slime smell bad in the summer.

I know nothing better for drying out your skin that pike slime

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
oh ......no not cooking..NO whitefish is making it into my kitchen......2 years ago i had to burn a 550 buck floater suit after being the maggot and official unhooker for 16 kids on LBR.

i think rocky mtn whites stink too.

everyone is different...am happy albertans enjoy catching ad eating them.

goldscud
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey chubdarter, is there a good whitefish lake near Perdue?

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

where' s perdue?

nicemustang
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Rockies, yes. Lake whites? No. In AB they are super slimy though and I don't care for them but in SK I find they are pretty good. Just had some smoked last night, with fettucini alfredo is probably ones of the best meals out there. And the pickled whites...I don't know how I could have grown up without.

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM

ah...your making a funny about my lack of intelligence....i think the university is spelled...Purdue

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
ah...your making a funny about my lack of intelligence....i think the university is spelled...Purdue

chubdarter.

Do you fish much around Meadow Lake? We were thinking of going camping there next year and wondering if there are any tiger trout lakes near the area. Being a Saskavite...I hope you have the answers as this Albertan needs some directions.

Tiger trout are so cool. I am hooked on trying to catch one...no pun intended.

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 09:22 PM

chubbdarter...

Do they even have lake whitefish in Saskatchewan? I can't see them having rocky mountain whites obviously...but I have never looked up the species distribution for lake whites in Sask. The walleye seem bigger as you go east...maybe the whites get bigger also.

Just wondering.

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 09:31 PM
chubbdarter...

Do they even have lake whitefish in Saskatchewan? I can't see them having rocky mountain whites obviously...but I have never looked up the species distribution for lake whites in Sask. The walleye seem bigger as you go east...maybe the whites get bigger also.

Just wondering.

not sure what the game is.....but why all the sask questions from you and your pal?

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 09:36 PM
not sure what the game is.....but why all the sask questions from you and your pal?

I thought you and goldscud knew each other. It sounded like he was outing you on a favorite whitefish lake.

You said you were not Albertan and based upon your posts my best guess was Sask. Sorry if I am wrong. Where you from? Manitoba? I know they have tigers there for sure!

Anyone else on the thread know of tigers up by Meadow Lake? Or even better...SW Sask!

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
chubbdarter...

Just wondering.

NO need to answer...I found what I was looking for on Google. There lake whitefish...no mountain whitefish.

Could it be that lake whitefish in Saskatchewan have a different taste than Alberta Lake Whitefish?

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought you and goldscud knew each other.

You said you were not Albertan and based upon your posts my best guess was Sask. Sorry if I am wrong. Where you from? Manitoba? I know they have tigers there for sure!

Anyone else on the thread know of tigers up by Meadow Lake? Or even better...SW Sask!

you know i dont know scud...you an scud are buddies.

i dont know where you say i said that..if i did it was a misprint...im albertan.....

why dont you just man up and state your game?

Sundancefisher
01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
i dont know where you say i said that..if i did it was a misprint...im albertan.....

I asked...did you know of any lakes with Tiger trout around meadow lake.

I take it your response is no. They are really neat looking trout don't you think though.

Very sharp and intense patterning on some that were posted here a while back. I never forgot them and they are on my bucket list. Have you at least caught some before? If not...no need to post a response.

Thanks.

Sun

P.S. Looking back at your conundrum...maybe he read your post...Seems like you used albertans in the third person rather than first person. Just a mistake of prose on your part is all. Thanks for clarifying.

Chubbdarter says "everyone is different...am happy albertans enjoy catching ad eating them. "

Kim473
01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Man has this thread gone off topic. Thanks for the tips on white fish people. Was a great thread at the begining. Still trying to get my first white. LOL

BloodHound70
01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Great info guys.
My favorite wire worm to use is a brass with red tip, but the brass needs to be shinny. When the brass gets dull I find it doesn't work as good. Also when I jig it I give it a double tap every 5-10 seconds and then every couple minutes or so I pull up the hook to the bottom of the ice and let it free fall to the bottom. I find that the free fall drives them crazy and they come flying in on it before it hits the bottom. A old ukaranian fisherman showed me that when I was a little kid and it works!!

BH

MikeGuo
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Great post Drano. I am by no means an expert (yet..lol), but one pointer I can give is if you are using a braided line, attach a 10" piece of 3x or 5x tippet to connect the braided line to your lure so as not to spook line shy fish. Another thing is if you are using a wire worm or similar lure, tie it to the line so that it hangs horizontal to the bottom (90 degrees to the line coming down the hole) as this is a more natural presentation.

Quick question though, how would you tie the wire worm horizontally if the eye of the hook is on the head end? would you have to go out and buy a specific wireworm where the eye of the hook is in the center?

Also, would you jig the horizontal worm up and down then afterwards? Since you are ice fishing, i would assume trying to move the horizontal worm horizontally would be a challenge. How would jigging a horizontal worm affect the natural presentation of the lure?

Sorry, newbie here, lots to learn...