PDA

View Full Version : Creek fishing is over?

amk
11-04-2011, 10:31 AM
With night temperature minus 10 or less I expect even those that open all year will be frozen solid in a week. I expect not all of us are going to wait for next 5 months keeping their lines dry. Some will wet them regardless of air temps.

I personally will try Bow, and some waters in BC, like Adams river.

The question, what creeks/rivers that are open all year would likely be ice free in Alberta or BC next to Alberta border. They are all ice free coast side, but that is too far for me.

npauls
11-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Parts of the crow and Bow are about the only flowing water you can fish now I think.

Check the regs book but I am pretty sure for southern Alberta that is about all there is.

Rick.
11-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I should get a set of regs. but for some reason I'm thinking the North Raven is open as well. I've fished there when things should have been iced over (IMO) so that's why I'm thinking it's open year round. Check the regs. rather than trust me. Rick.

Jayhad
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
There is a lot of water open in AB, you just have to think about what influences will keep creeks flowing and then start kick your feet searching

amk
11-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Rers are on my table. North Raven, Alford, Rose (Wolf), Washout are open in ES2, the question was not related to regs though, rather than to common sense. Where the normal, with a chance to hook into a fish, fishing is possible in the next 5 months?
I have not fished those creeks in winter, but I suspect they would be iced over very soon. Or they not? What do experts say?
There is a spring closure in BC, which is not so short, but most rivers are open up to January, where to go? Does anybody from here have such first hand experience?

Jayhad
11-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Amk,

Of course fishing is possible in the next five months. The limiting factors are, your comfort, icing of guides/line, and ice coverage. I personally enjoy the next 5 months the fishing is easier and are less anglers and it seems to be a slower pace than the rest of the season pressure.

There are watersheds in ES2/ES1/PP1 that are spring fed and they will remain open, there are watersheds that have man made influences that cause water to not freeze.

You stated you might try the Adams, that's 6 hours away... you could put that time in heading south below the 49th to warmer areas.

Ill give watershed names but I won't commonly give locations of holes because they are there for you to find, that's part of fishing and I don't believe in spoon feeding. In winter I will definately not give up names as most of the ice free locations are small and only have the ability to house few anglers and I truly want those areas for those that have put the effort into to finding them..... I have spent many days putting 500Ks on my truck just to find that the water was solid

seek and ye shall find