PDA

View Full Version : Shuswap lake help?

icefisher11
11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
I am going to be heading out there thursday night after work. for the long weekend do some fishing. Does anyone know of a place or places to camp there this time of year? Preferably on the south side of the lake. but am open to options. We are in a self contained motorhome. so water power and all that good stuff is not important.

slivers86
11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Most of the campgrounds are closed for the year.

http://shuswaptourism.ca/plan/accommodation/rv-parks-and-campgrounds/silver-sands-rv-resort-listing
might be an option, have to give them a call. Its been a while since I was out there, and like I said, most places are closed already for winter season.

Lake has special regs to, if you are unfamiliar with them, most of which are n/a this time of year, but size limits must be kept in mind :)

SHUSWAP LAKE
(see maps below)
(includes Little Shuswap Lake, that
part of South Thompson River between
Shuswap Lake and Little Shuswap
Lake, Seymour, Anstey and Salmon
arms and Mara Lake unless
stated otherwise)
3-26 No ice fishing
No fishing from line between signs on Murdock and Semaphore points, to Hwy#1 bridge, Mar 15-May 31 (see map C below)
No fishing in the entire area north of Albas, Mar 15-May 31 (see map B below)
No fishing Mar 15-May 31, and rainbow trout and char release, June 1-Mar 14, in the waters lying west of a line between signs
at Henstridge Road and Wharf Road to a line between signs on the south and north shores of Little Shuswap Lake (see map A
below)
Rainbow trout daily quota = 1 (none under 50 cm), annual quota = 5
Char daily quota = 1 (none under 60 cm), annual quota = 5
Bait ban, single barbless hook
Conservation Surcharge Stamp required to catch and keep rainbow trout over 50 cm or char over 60 cm

good luck and enjoy!

icefisher11
11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the link. i will do a little more digging. I also know the regs. Just like going out there.

slivers86
11-05-2011, 12:29 PM
its my home lake, I like to educate :) no worries bud. Don't know a lot about camping, but can tell you the copper island area is hot year round ;) my only tip

Rick.
11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Dipsy Divers work but downriggers work better. Have fun. I'm sure it will be warmer there than around here. Rick.

icefisher11
11-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Seems like its going to be pretty cold there aswell. and we will be mostly downrigging. Thanks for the tip slivers

0liver
11-05-2011, 03:37 PM
white tube jig down deep :P monstrous fish in that lake @_@ seen a couple in the double digits in photos man I would love to hook into one of those beaut's!

Eddy62
11-05-2011, 03:57 PM
If you like i just talked to my parents and they will talk to there friends that own a small campground but it is behind the mara foodliner (new demills )10 klics up the road from swansea point nice spot. If not we were thinking maybe on are property in swansea point not the biggest spot but it is a spot let me no if you want me to go further . or did you find a spot?......take care

slivers86
11-05-2011, 04:34 PM
white tube jig down deep :P monstrous fish in that lake @_@ seen a couple in the double digits in photos man I would love to hook into one of those beaut's!

there are a couple records out of that lake, or former records. If memory serves me right a couple years ago a trophy dolly was pulled from a guy fishing off his houseboat. Remember, the lake is extremely deep, over 800ft in some places. Watch the weather conditions too, they can change in an instant this time of year, and if they do, best to get to shore ASAP :)

Best of luck my friend.

Itsmyfishingshow
11-05-2011, 08:54 PM
are squaw fish in shushwap and myra?

Rick.
11-05-2011, 11:22 PM
are squaw fish in shushwap and myra?
Yes, lots of them. They are called pike minnows. Learned that earlier this fall on this forum. Rick.

Freedom55
11-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I always favored the north shore, mostly because I used to have a property at Anglemont. Plenty of great fishing in the river there plus Adams Lake itself. Haven't been there for a while but used to stay at the giant camppground at Celista. Was a time when the province operated it and the rates were low, but private operators have been running the place for a couple of decades now so I can't say anything about the opening/closing dates. We used to catch some giant fish out of there, up lake towards Seymour and once hauled a 23lb Kamloops strain rainbow into the boat near the narrows. Lot's of trolling with a willow leaf or ford fenders, spin&glow or wedding ring lures.
Another great spot is where the Adams dumps into the lake. Plenty of trout and salmon action with roe imitations or teaspoons.

Free

Eddy62
11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
got ya a spot if you want it 20 per night..check your inbox,info there good fishing

Little Red Man
11-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Check out Herald Park (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/herald/)

The camp ground proper is actually closed for the season, but there is a day use area (quite large actually) that allows for "self-contained" units to camp there for free in the off-season. There is also a boat launch there, but the water is out close to the end of it. The park asks that you do not launch your boat past the yellow lines (which you would have to do right now) but I have seen several folks launching there without issues (good hard packed gravel at the end of it).

Rick.
11-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Check out Herald Park (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/herald/)

The camp ground proper is actually closed for the season, but there is a day use area (quite large actually) that allows for "self-contained" units to camp there for free in the off-season. There is also a boat launch there, but the water is out close to the end of it. The park asks that you do not launch your boat past the yellow lines (which you would have to do right now) but I have seen several folks launching there without issues (good hard packed gravel at the end of it).
And there's a good log boom right beside it too! Trout like to hang out there. Rick.

Jayhad
11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Adam's Lake camp ground is open all year..... or at least you can drive in there and camp.... that's where I'll be this weekend

Kingfisher
11-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Drive carefully guys. I was down in the Okanagan last weekend. There was snow from where you cross the Columbia just west of Golden to almost Revelstoke. There was between 3 to 6 inches of snow on the road. Ya the buggers don't like to plow right away so it gets hard packed under the wheels of the vehicles.

Only saw 2 snow plows on the way down. One that had it's hood up and was broken down. The other couldn't keep up if it tried. It was snowing heavily all the way down and back. YES SNOWING.

There were at least 10 cars off the road on the way down and at least that many on the way back. Including one truck that was totally upside down. We were about half a km behind the line up waiting for police, fire and ambulance to get the people out. That was on the east side of the Rogers Pass just east of the heli ski place.

I will also be on the road. I am heading to Vancouver to pick up a boat. Might not be bringing it all the way home. Might leave it at my mothers in Vernon.

So drive carefully folks. It will be a nasty weekend to be on the roads.

Rob

Little Red Man
11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
And there's a good log boom right beside it too! Trout like to hang out there. Rick.

Yep...Long boom is a good spot for sure....but usually catch more fish there in the spring....Canoe Point closer to Sicamous was still hot last time I was on the lake (about three weeks ago).

Regarding roads and weather....yup...it IS snowing here, and the forecast is for more crappy, cool, wet (snow and rain) weather.....so..drive safe, and have a heater in your boat....

Bigdad013
11-25-2011, 07:39 AM
No records out of this lake, which is surprising really. The lake is only 600 ft deep. Having fished this lake lots in the last 6 years, I can certainly tell you that going out for a weekend dont be to disappointed if you don't catch anything. This lake takes time to figure out. This year I boated 182 fish, largest 13 lb rainbow, 18 lb bull trout, 17 lb lake trout. With the best day, boating 11 fish in 5 hours.