PDA

View Full Version : Special Walleye Licence leads to more angling opportunities

Duk Dog
01-30-2008, 06:42 AM
January 28, 2008
Special Walleye Licence leads to more angling opportunities

Edmonton... Following a highly successful two-year pilot program, the Alberta government has approved the Special Walleye Licence as a permanent management tool for Alberta’s fisheries.

During the two-year pilot program, the Special Walleye Licence provided more than 39,000 opportunities for anglers to catch and keep a controlled number of walleye at Wolf Lake, Pigeon Lake and Newell Lake, which are all catch-and-release walleye fisheries.

“The Special Walleye Licence pilot was a big hit with anglers and stakeholders, who said they wanted to see it available every year,” said Ted Morton, Minister of Sustainable Resource Development. “I’m delighted that my department is able to provide this opportunity for anglers to catch and keep some tasty walleye.”

In 1996, Alberta introduced major restrictions on walleye fisheries to allow populations to recover after major declines due to angling pressure. Some walleye populations have recovered to the point where a limited harvest can be permitted, but the populations cannot support a general open-harvest fishing season. Recognizing the impact of a high number of anglers and the need to preserve fisheries where fishing pressure is significant, the Special Walleye Licence was developed and has successfully provided this limited harvesting option.

For the 2008 fishing season, the Special Walleye Licence will again be available for Wolf Lake (near Bonnyville), Pigeon Lake and Newell Lake (near Brooks).

Further details on the Special Walleye Licence, including the total number of tags available, will be released with the 2008 Alberta fishing regulations in March and will be posted on the Sustainable Resource Development website at http://srd.alberta.ca.

Providing recreational opportunities and promoting responsible stewardship are part of Premier Ed Stelmach’s plan to secure Alberta’s future by building communities, greening our growth and creating opportunity.

-30-

Media inquiries may be directed to:

Mike Jenkinson
Communications
Alberta Sustainable Resource Development
780-427-8636

Gordoats26
01-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Sweet deal I was wondering if they would continue that this year thanks for posting that.

SNAPFisher
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the update! Well, I am pleasantly surprised. I would of thought they would need 2 more years to come to a decision. Sounds like the feedback they got was positive. I look forward to reading the details for this year. ....I wonder how long it will take for this post to turn into a flame.....1,2,3.... :evilgrin:

Ayr
01-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the update, good info.

Ayr.

Waxy
01-30-2008, 09:27 AM
This seems like a really good initiative to me as well, I'm happy to see it's continuing.

I'd like to see it expanded to a few more lakes, Crawling Valley in particular, as that's where I do the majority of my fishing.

Waxy

bobalong
01-30-2008, 09:39 AM
I guess we will have to wait unti the new regs to come out, but they had discussed at the Roundtable meeting in October of either extending the season, or having the option of another season in the winter for icefishing. I don't believe you were going to be able to have a summer and winter licence, it would be one or the other.

clarki
01-30-2008, 11:08 AM
personally im not sure about this draw thing. why are some/most reservoirs down south 3 over 50 cms but supposedly great walleye lakes like pigeon cant handle this kind of harvest? why not make it 1 over 55 like some other reservoirs and eliminate the draw system? what is the cost of one of these licences once drawn? from what i read on the message boards pigeon isnt the big walleye producer like it used to be so perhaps opening it to 1 over 55 might help the quality of the fishery? or the same for newell, i know there are some monster eyes in there so why does it have to be on a draw and not like the rest of the reservoirs down here? just something im curious about is all. i dont have all the info on this but i am sure some others can enlighten me on why this draw system exists? is it a money maker? seems to me that i dont need to enter any draws to take home a walleye for supper, i just have to go to one of the southern waters near lethbridge and if i catch a trophy eye, say 30 inches plus, well its gonna get caught whether i have a draw tag or not and i can keep it if i want (i would release an eye like that anyway) due to the existing regs. maybe they feel this will make for a trophy fishery? but arent these 3 lakes considered to be that already? hope im not opening up a can of whoop ass here but im curious about this. later

M

bobalong
01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
The draw system for walleye is much like the hunting draw system (which has been in place for years), it is about the only way to have a controlled harvest with an exact amount of fish being taken regardless of the amount of anglers that go there. (not counting poachers of course).

Ace
01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't mind the draw system myself, but I am a bit confused about which lakes are allowed a harvest, which ones have none, and which ones have the draw system.

For example, I don't understand how Buck Lake (South) has a 1 walleye regulation and is able to maintain it's population, but Pigeon can only have a limited harvest (and you can catch 100 walleye in a day).

Does anybody know if a slot limit option was investigated for Pigeon or the other draw lakes?

Ace

SNAPFisher
01-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Ace.

Yeah, confusing alright. The draw system only exists for the 3 lakes mentioned. If success continues it is possible it will extend to other lakes like Buck - pure speculation at this point but contact SRD and they might be able to tell you more info.

Here is a link to the annoucement:
http://www.alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm?ReleaseID=/acn/200801/22961C1352B28-E8A2-7B3C-C572269EB42E6A8E.html

Last year the tags were divided into slot sizes. This will likely be the case for 2008 but details to come soon.

Gordoats26
01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
personally im not sure about this draw thing. why are some/most reservoirs down south 3 over 50 cms but supposedly great walleye lakes like pigeon cant handle this kind of harvest? why not make it 1 over 55 like some other reservoirs and eliminate the draw system?
M

I dont know about the other 2 lakes but Pigion Most of the fish are all from a few stalks in the late 90's and more or less most of the fish there are relitivly the same size so that tells me there not having the greatst success with spawning, there isnt much strucure in Pigion so if you start keeping every fish over 55 soon there just wont be any fish over that an your back to where you started from I support this Draw thing i mean its a little pricey but Whatever I guess. Pigion is just a nice place to take the kids cause you can catch upwards of a hundred fish a day pretty easy keeps them entertained. It would be nice it it sayed that way.